• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ethical consumerism

I prefer to buy produce from local farmer's stands as much as possible. Not because of that "sustainability" bullshit but because it tastes better. But it seems Charlotte has very few visible farmers markets or local produce stands unless you drive outside of city limits. So I usually end up buying most of my shit at HT anyway. I am looking forward to going to Eastern NC next week though to actually get some quality local produce.

that's just not true. hell, you don't even have to leave downtown to find a farmers' market (though the one downtown is small). the biggest one in charlotte (and as far as i know, the only one that is open year-round) is on tyvola near the old coliseum. between april and october, the one at kings and morehead is better (in my opinion at least. the one at the old coliseum is so big that i feel overwhelmed and often leave empty-handed. the one on kings is more manageable). but there are several other ones scattered throughout the city. those are just the main ones.

A long time ago I made a spiritual commitment to simple living and self-reliance. Right now I'm working with several like-minded permaculturalists to cultivate our own quinoa crop on the Farm. There is a similar ecovillage nearby that has enjoyed a bumper yield of eggplant this season. We're hoping to get together soon for a delicious community dinner.

100% agree with this post. I will avoid big box stores at all costs if possible. They have killed everything our country was about. In the long run, if more people thought like phan, we would have lower unemployment, less people on assistance, etc. I'd rather think long term and keep my principles than save a few dollars.

there is a ton of humor in this post.

box stores have killed everything our country was about - how?
more people thinking like phan = lower unemployment, less on assistance, etc - how?

i mean, certainly do what you can, but you are making it seem like if wal-mart just went away all the problems will go away. laughable

that's just not true. hell, you don't even have to leave downtown to find a farmers' market (though the one downtown is small). the biggest one in charlotte (and as far as i know, the only one that is open year-round) is on tyvola near the old coliseum. between april and october, the one at kings and morehead is better (in my opinion at least. the one at the old coliseum is so big that i feel overwhelmed and often leave empty-handed. the one on kings is more manageable). but there are several other ones scattered throughout the city. those are just the main ones.

All of these places are at least 20 minutes from where I live (near Ballantyne). Meanwhile I could drive to about 30 different Harris Teeters, Food Lions, or Wal Marts in under 10 minutes compared to maybe a half dozen or so produce stands or farmers markets (and I don't really know where to find them). Not saying there aren't ANY good produce stands or markets in Charlotte, but unfortunately for me the convenience of big retailers trump the local produce guy, as much as I would prefer to support him. Granted I probably just don't know where to look and this wouldn't be an issue if I lived in a slightly more rural area.

Yeah, I don't know how anyone could say that Charlotte doesn't have enough farmer's market. I agree that the big one can be a little overwhelming, but I still try to hit it at least every 2 weeks. For basic produce I will usually just hit the booth with the shortest line, as I've never had anything bad from any of them. I'll then hit the meat and specialty booths that I have tried and liked (Grateful Growers Pork FTMFW). I've also gotten some handmade stuff from the third barn out there (I had the purse lady make my wife a custom leather bag for Christmas this past year).

We've got a couple smaller markets and produce stores near us on the way out towards Denver (including the Peaches-only store) that we'll usually go to between trips to the Tyvola market.

All of these places are at least 20 minutes from where I live (near Ballantyne). Meanwhile I could drive to about 30 different Harris Teeters, Food Lions, or Wal Marts in under 10 minutes compared to maybe a half dozen or so produce stands or farmers markets (and I don't really know where to find them). Not saying there aren't ANY good produce stands or markets in Charlotte, but unfortunately for me the convenience of big retailers trump the local produce guy, as much as I would prefer to support him. Granted I probably just don't know where to look and this wouldn't be an issue if I lived in a slightly more rural area.

http://charlotte.about.com/od/shoppingservices/tp/The-Best-Farmers-Markets-In-Charlotte.htm

try that link. the matthews one may be the closest to you. i was just countering your statement that charlotte has very few farmers markets unless you go outside the city. that is simply not true. maybe ballantyne doesn't have anything (i'm honestly not sure. i almost never make it down there), but given that ballantyne itself is almost outside the city limits, i'm not sure why leaving the city to buy fresh produce would be that big of a deal.

Yeah, I don't know how anyone could say that Charlotte doesn't have enough farmer's market. I agree that the big one can be a little overwhelming, but I still try to hit it at least every 2 weeks. For basic produce I will usually just hit the booth with the shortest line, as I've never had anything bad from any of them. I'll then hit the meat and specialty booths that I have tried and liked (Grateful Growers Pork FTMFW). I've also gotten some handmade stuff from the third barn out there (I had the purse lady make my wife a custom leather bag for Christmas this past year).

We've got a couple smaller markets and produce stores near us on the way out towards Denver (including the Peaches-only store) that we'll usually go to between trips to the Tyvola market.

omg. i LOVE that place. we used to have a lake house off of 16, and every time we went up there, we hit up the peach stand. my uncle also makes quite possibly the world's best homemade peach ice cream. to this day, that is what i miss most about the lake house.

just ate a peach from a farmer's market in HKY. YUM! One of my fave things about summer is fresh peaches from the market.

We have a Frmer's Market at the veach every Friday and then a smaller one when Main street is closed down for the tuesday night stgreet fair.

omg. i LOVE that place. we used to have a lake house off of 16, and every time we went up there, we hit up the peach stand. my uncle also makes quite possibly the world's best homemade peach ice cream. to this day, that is what i miss most about the lake house.

Yeah, their peaches are insane. It's gotten to the point where you have to go on Saturday because they will sell out before Sunday and then won't open back up until Monday. I've got a bucket from them from last weekend that is just slightly below perfect, so I imagine that this weekend should start the two months of perfection.

I do especially when it comes to getting work done on my car or even just an oil change. I live in Charleston so there is no shortage of great local restaurants and bars as well as some good coffee shops as well.

Yeah, their peaches are insane. It's gotten to the point where you have to go on Saturday because they will sell out before Sunday and then won't open back up until Monday. I've got a bucket from them from last weekend that is just slightly below perfect, so I imagine that this weekend should start the two months of perfection.

i will pay you to bring me a basket of them next time you come into charlotte. seriously.

The Market at Kings and Morehead had peaches piled to the top of the tent last weekend. I don't think you could go wrong buying peaches anywhere right now. I'm not a real big peach fan, but my wife loves them.

The Market at Kings and Morehead had peaches piled to the top of the tent last weekend. I don't think you could go wrong buying peaches anywhere right now. I'm not a real big peach fan, but my wife loves them.

i don't doubt that those are good. but if you've never visited the peach stand that we're talking about, some weekend you should take a trip up highway 16. just keep heading north until you see a little building on the left side of the road with a big sign that says "PEACHES." those peaches are nothing short of amazing. also, when you pick up a bag or basket, they go through every single peach in the basket before you leave to make sure they're all good. they'll replace any of them that aren't.

My best farmer's market story happened in SF about five years ago. As I walked by this fruit stand, the beautiful woman running it held out some strawberries and asked,"Would you like to taste my strawberries?"

Before I could even reach for the fruit, I heard a voice from behind me saying,"Honey, you know he'd like to taste your strawberries."

It was a little 80+ year old lady. The fruit lady and I started laughing loudly.

Yes, I tried her strawberries in spite of not being a strawberry fan. I don't think i had a choice at that point.

My best farmer's market story happened in SF about five years ago. As I walked by this fruit stand, the beautiful woman running it held out some strawberries and asked,"Would you like to taste my strawberries?"

Before I could even reach for the fruit, I heard a voice from behind me saying,"Honey, you know he'd like to taste your strawberries."

It was a little 80+ year old lady. The fruit lady and I started laughing loudly.

Yes, I tried her strawberries in spite of not being a strawberry fan. I don't think i had a choice at that point.

How can you not like strawberries?!!!!

Back