• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Evangelicals coming around on gay marriage?

No, they're not. I'll drive you around town if you need examples. Also, that's a terrible article - has a few examples, and no reporting on the Scriptural or theological reasons for the mind shift, which is skirting the issue.

Evangelicals are one of the last groups NOT coming around on gay marriage.

No, they're not. I'll drive you around town if you need examples. Also, that's a terrible article - has a few examples, and no reporting on the Scriptural or theological reasons for the mind shift, which is skirting the issue.

yeah, not even close

The article discusses evangelicals who are coming around. Are you all saying that this is a lie?

I seriously laughed out loud when this was the first response on the thread lol. I think that may be the fastest /end thread I've ever seen.

A handful of examples out of tens of millions is hardly a trend.

Plus, I tend to find that those who are "coming around" are more in the "they just need help to end their sinful ways" mindset than the "live and let live" one.

A handful of examples out of tens of millions is hardly a trend.

Yeah, good point. "Driving around your neighborhood" must be the trend, and certainly is more persuasive evidence than 3 extremely influential church leaders who are clearly evolving in their thinking.

I don't see how the Seattle example isn't a move in the right direction. And why is Time reporting it if they don't see a trend? I have the impression that many of you are as stuck in your ways as you accuse Christians of being.

Plus, I tend to find that those who are "coming around" are more in the "they just need help to end their sinful ways" mindset than the "live and let live" one.

Translation: "I didn't read the article because there's no way I could have missed that the Seattle pastor is marrying gay couples."

Yeah, good point. "Driving around your neighborhood" must be the trend, and certainly is more persuasive evidence than 3 extremely influential church leaders who are clearly evolving in their thinking.

I don't see how the Seattle example isn't a move in the right direction. And why is Time reporting it if they don't see a trend? I have the impression that many of you are as stuck in your ways as you accuse Christians of being.

Because Time magazine has an agenda?

The point about driving around is clear, sorry if you missed it. You can always find examples when you hunt for them (as this article does), but by paying attention to what is around you (driving around), you'll see that there are far fewer Evangelicals being open to same-sex marriage than there are examples of them being against it. I think it's great that some people are coming around, and that you, as a self-identified Evangelical, are encouraged by this. But it's not yet time to hang the "Mission Accomplished" banner, or even having it printed up yet.

You're suggesting that Time has an agenda to make evangelical Christians look good?

The point of the article was that there are stirrings among evangelical Christians to change their views on gay relationships and marriage. I'm not sure where I saw anyone claiming "mission accomplished," including me. You see a few evangelical Christians reevaluating and point out that there are still many who aren't. I see a few who are reevaluating and see progress, which is exactly the point of the article.

You're suggesting that Time has an agenda to make evangelical Christians look good?

The point of the article was that there are stirrings among evangelical Christians to change their views on gay relationships and marriage. I'm not sure where I saw anyone claiming "mission accomplished," including me. You see a few evangelical Christians reevaluating and point out that there are still many who aren't. I see a few who are reevaluating and see progress, which is exactly the point of the article.
By making it look mainstream, they make it more acceptable for others to join their side.

Back