• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Expectations from (reasonable) fans...

From a lifetime of enduring Wake Forest football...

For the first time EVER (and I was born in 70) in my life, I fully expect Wake Forest to have winning seasons. This is because of the work Jim Grobe and staff have done here. Period.

Before the FSU game, I looked at my family and said "I will be disappointed if Wake loses today because we can beat FSU and FSU should be scared of us".

That statement was a long way from the one I made when FSU joined the conference...that Wake Forest will not only never beat Florida State in football, they will never even compete with Florida State in football.

Now I expect a win against them and any other team in the conference. 6 losses in a season is a disappointment, whereas pre-Jim Grobe & co, 6 losses were a major success.

So, even though I have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy football mediocrity (because it's far better than football suckiness) at Wake Forest, I expect better because I know the athletes and coaches can achieve it.

My expectations for football are the same as always.

1. Beat Duke, NC State, & UNC
2. Become bowl eligible.

So it is unreasonable to expect our staff to recruit better? The advantages this staff has had the last few years far exceed what they had when they recruited the FRESH DEACS.

Are there any admission advantages now? How about disadvantages now?

So you're saying Grobe should be held accountable but not for any negative things because the bar is set at the positives.

This is the third straight year we've lost 5 of our last 6 games.

Easy to fix. Play Gardner Webb at the end of the season instead of the beginning.

Not what I am saying. I am saying we must recruit better. That is the major challenge at WF. The Fresh Deacs were truly exceptional. We cannot expect to develop 2 stars into 1st round draft picks each year. We must learn how to recruit 4 star players and then develop them into 1st round picks. I realize the star system is flawed; but we must bring in that kind of talent much more frequently than in the recent past.

I bet the coaches never thought of that.

My expectations are:
A reasonable shot at 6+ wins per year (e.g. 3 wins OOC and 3 ACC wins- schedule toward a likely 3 wins OOC plus schedule in 1 'name' team for fun). Occasionally make a run at a division title (once every 3-4 years). To expect more is unrealistic, IMHO. That's not LOWF, just reality.

Who is your team? I saw a team with almost a completely senior OL/TE, a senior RB, junior FB, QB in his 23rd start, and several juniors and seniors on D.

first off, let's cut the crap. This has been my position on this team since pre-season. They are inconsistent.

There is a mix of veteran leadership but by and large the core of this squad is Sophomore.

So you're saying Grobe should be held accountable but not for any negative things because the bar is set at the positives.

This is the third straight year we've lost 5 of our last 6 games.

I'm pretty sure I didn't say that at all. I am all for criticism, but we have people on here acting like some other coach is waiting in the wings that could duplicate the success we have had. I call BS on that.

I'm pretty sure I didn't say that at all. I am all for criticism, but we have people on here acting like some other coach is waiting in the wings that could duplicate the success we have had. I call BS on that.

I don't think people are acting like that unless the coach in the wings is Grobe himself.

So is Grobe accountable for three straight years finishing 1-5? If so, what does he need to do about it? If not, why not?

I don't think people are acting like that unless the coach in the wings is Grobe himself.

So is Grobe accountable for three straight years finishing 1-5? If so, what does he need to do about it? If not, why not?

I think that he needs to shake up his staff. The defense somewhat out-performed their personnel, IMO. However that was not the case with the offense. Given a senior line and the skill players we had, the offense should have been much better. So, it would seem somewhat apparent where the shake-up should occur.

I think that he needs to shake up his staff. The defense somewhat out-performed their personnel, IMO. However that was not the case with the offense. Given a senior line and the skill players we had, the offense should have been much better. So, it would seem somewhat apparent where the shake-up should occur.

It's a dead horse, but it's generally accepted that the OL has been an underperforming unit for at least five years running now. The problem spans multiple "generations" of players. I think that's a natural place to look for a staff shakeup.

I greatly admire loyalty. It is increasingly rare. However some times subordinates need to take the pressure off by resigning their position when they consistently underachieve.

I greatly admire loyalty. It is increasingly rare. However some times subordinates need to take the pressure off by resigning their position when they consistently underachieve.

this is the dumbest thing i have ever read on these boards.

who in their right mind is quitting a 6 figure job by readily admitting they arent good at it? career suicide. o yeah, and grobe and company have been the winningest staff in wfu history.

My expectations for football are the same as always.

1. Beat Duke, NC State, & UNC
2. Become bowl eligible.

sounds about like mine as well. 7 to 8 wins a regular season with the occasional shot at an ACC title.

We played Notre Dame this year, and it was one of our largest home crowds in history.

It was also the smallest stadium Notre Dame has played in since the '40s.

What Grobe has done during his tenure, and continues to do, is nothing short of amazing.

With Grobe, my expectation each year is to go to a bowl game. Grobe has done that more often than not. Once every four years or so, if we're in the hunt to go to the ACC championship, that's icing on the cake.

We played Notre Dame this year, and it was one of our largest home crowds in history.

What Grobe has done during his tenure, and continues to do, is nothing short of amazing.

With Grobe, my expectation each year is to go to a bowl game. Grobe has done that more often than not. Once every four years or so, if we're in the hunt to go to the ACC championship, that's icing on the cake.

Amen. Those are pretty much mine as well. Try and get to a bowl game each year and sprinkle in some 7 or even 8 win seasons. I also realize that Wake is gonna have those crappy 3 or 4 win seasons too. That's what I've been preaching for while now. Just make a bowl baby.

Our best hope at becoming a major contender each year in conference is to return to the option game. It is not my preference; however, the efficient use of cut blocking does not require recruiting huge linemen. When it is run well it dominates the clock and takes pressure off of the defense. Furthermore, if a passing game is mixed in there will be the ability both to keep defenses off balance and to come back from deficits. We have not run the ball consistently since abandoning the cut block as our major weapon.

Or run Sousa some in the pistol, option or wildcat. Like a baby Cam Newton.

agree with you post but once every four years in the hunt? we've been in the hunt 3 times out of 5 since the orange bowl season.

We have the POTENTIAL to have a nasty front 7 next year but all our guys have to get stronger, meaner, nastier and take the playmaker lead from Whitlock.

Guys like Souza, Booi, Gallagher (?), Vogelsang, Redding, Floyd, Allen who maybe will play some DE, Thompson --- meaner, nastier, bigger, faster - we have enough bodies...add the true frosh Lewinson...we could be tough if we get a lot NASTIER.

LB's will be:
Ehrmann
Olson
Betros
Haynes
Jackson
I suppose Allen
Wiggins
Hunt

Last edited:
Back