• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Experience with a speeding ticket in South Carolina - Pickens County, specifically?

scooter84

Jack Campbell
Reaction score
Anyone have experience dealing with a speeding ticket in SC? My daughter just got one in Pickens County. I wouldn't care except she has one on her record already - it is from 2.5 years ago so it won't drop off for a few months.

Does SC have the PJC concept? Could she or I negotiate one on our own, or should we hire an attorney? Any input will be appreciated.

Anyone have experience dealing with a speeding ticket in SC? My daughter just got one in Pickens County. I wouldn't care except she has one on her record already - it is from 2.5 years ago so it won't drop off for a few months.

Does SC have the PJC concept? Could she or I negotiate one on our own, or should we hire an attorney? Any input will be appreciated.
How fast was she going, did she receive any type of break from the officer, and who was the LEO (sheriff deputy, city cop, or state/highway trooper? SC Highway Patrol are the least forgiving in my experience.

But SC is very good ole boy oriented with local judges so a known traffic lawyer could likely easily get it switched to a non-moving offense if you're willing to pay for it. So a lawyer is likely your easiest bet but up to you how much you take into account the various costs with either side of the decision.

How fast was she going, did she receive any type of break from the officer, and who was the LEO (sheriff deputy, city cop, or state/highway trooper? SC Highway Patrol are the least forgiving in my experience.

But SC is very good ole boy oriented with local judges so a known traffic lawyer could likely easily get it switched to a non-moving offense if you're willing to pay for it. So a lawyer is likely your easiest bet but up to you how much you take into account the various costs with either side of the decision.

She was going 72 in a 55 (he got her right past where the limit dropped from 65 to 55) but he dropped the charge to 64 in a 55...

Whenever I get a speeding ticket I'm just polite and honest and ask the officer about the court process and what I need to do and if there's any chance of getting it reduced. Usually they'll tell you exactly what you need to do and tell you that they'll be glad to tell the judge that you were cooperative. Got my first ticket in 11 or 12 years last year in Moore County, NC (despite driving 80+ on the highway practically always). Wound up having to hire a lawyer, but got reduced to Improper Equipment.

Ticket before that I went to court in Anderson, SC and got it reduced to 9 MPH over just for showing up.

Cut a check straight to the judge and it won't appear anywhere. Usually have to go through a clerk or secretary, and make it out to a different company or foundation

Or plead not guilty all the way up to the trial and they will drop it, usually after one or two "conferences"

whatever you do, don't end up in a Pickens County jail.

The Traffic Education Program (TEP) was established in South Carolina to educate the driver while giving him/her the opportunity to have eligible tickets dismissed and keep a clean driving record.

Speeding ticket for 64 in a 60. It has a 74 circled beside the 64/60. Daughter got the ticket in Marion, SC. Anyone know if there is a better option than just find an attorney in the area and let them take care of it?

Back