• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

That's probably the worst junebug post on here. Normally I disagree with you but understand where you're coming from. I think you're pretty far off base here.

Being black at a big law firm is an advantage once you're there. The odds of a black person making it there are a lot worse than a white person though to start with. You're including the advantages while excluding the disadvantages. Aggregately I doubt many people would consider being a person of color a net positive when trying to become partner at a big firm.

I am slowly coming to the realization that white people who speak of "white privilege" are using that as code to refer to their own biases and prejudices. If you recognize "white privilege," that's because you yourself are biased and/or prejudiced against those of different races. Thus, if there is such a thing as "white privilege," it is the very people who are decrying it who are creating it. So here's an idea, rather than try to convince me that every white cop who kills a black person did so because of bias and/or prejudice, how about take care of your own house? If you can do that, we should have this thing pretty well licked in no time.

Thanks in advance.

Holy shit this might be the dumbest post of 2014 on the board. I mean, it puts the entire Lectro Climate Change thread to shame, which is just an amazing accomplishment.

Nothing to do but sit back for a minute in appreciation.

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

If you're white and take care of your own business while not recognizing privilege exists (a benefit of being a member of a privileged class to begin with) then everything will be okay? Yeah for white people who are already advantaged to start with. That's a serious JHMD level post there from June.

I am slowly coming to the realization that white people who speak of "white privilege" are using that as code to refer to their own biases and prejudices. If you recognize "white privilege," that's because you yourself are biased and/or prejudiced against those of different races. Thus, if there is such a thing as "white privilege," it is the very people who are decrying it who are creating it. So here's an idea, rather than try to convince me that every white cop who kills a black person did so because of bias and/or prejudice, how about take care of your own house? If you can do that, we should have this thing pretty well licked in no time.

Thanks in advance.

Acknowledging white privilege is not the same as believing in white supremacy.

What suggestions have you for those who have "taken care of their own house" but been victims nonetheless?

Finally, your flippant "this thing pretty well licked" seems to acknowledge there is a "thing" whereas the rest of your post suggests indeed there is not.

I would contend that great progress has been made, but that equality will only happen when we treat each other as equal individuals and not part of aggrieved groups.

To which I think this quote from Chris Rock is an excellent counterpoint:

Here’s the thing. When we talk about race relations in America or racial progress, it’s all nonsense. There are no race relations. White people were crazy. Now they’re not as crazy. To say that black people have made progress would be to say they deserve what happened to them before.

So, to say Obama is progress is saying that he’s the first black person that is qualified to be president. That’s not black progress. That’s white progress. There’s been black people qualified to be president for hundreds of years. If you saw Tina Turner and Ike having a lovely breakfast over there, would you say their relationship’s improved? Some people would. But a smart person would go, “Oh, he stopped punching her in the face.” It’s not up to her. Ike and Tina Turner’s relationship has nothing to do with Tina Turner. Nothing. It just doesn’t. The question is, you know, my kids are smart, educated, beautiful, polite children. There have been smart, educated, beautiful, polite black children for hundreds of years. The advantage that my children have is that my children are encountering the nicest white people that America has ever produced. Let’s hope America keeps producing nicer white people.

Acknowledging white privilege is not the same as believing in white supremacy.

What suggestions have you for those who have "taken care of their own house" but been victims nonetheless?

Finally, your flippant "this thing pretty well licked" seems to acknowledge there is a "thing" whereas the rest of your post suggests indeed there is not.
Do we really want him to unpack that turd of a post? I'd rather just chalk it up to functioning illiteracy and leave it be.

When I was 18, I worked at a recycling plant in rural North Carolina. You may think working nights scanning a conveyor belt for recyclables is dull. And you would be mostly correct.
One cold night I was sifting for metals and listening to Linkin Park on my head phones. Suddenly, the belt comes to a screeching halt and I hear terrified cries for help. Clarence, one of the other workers, had come in contact with a VERY dead animal.
Apparently, someone placed a cat into a large tupperware container and shut it tight. Clarence opened it and was greeted with the explosive guts of a badly decomposed feline. Poor Clarence! He did not take his misfortune well at all.
"I swear to GAWWWD! I wanna die! I wanna die! kill me now, oh GAAAWD!" he wailed. We wanted to comfort our friend but none of us dared get near because of the rotten odor emanating from him. "It's all over me guys please let me go home!"
The problem was that Clarence didn't have a car and co-workers took turns taking him to and from work. The shift leader said he could go home but no one was willing to offer him a ride. Understandably, he sadly left the floor and the building.
The next day, we found out that Clarence had called 911 on himself for "a black man prowling a neighborhood" from a payphone. The police showed up with guns drawn, arrested him, and he got new clothes and a shower. Clarence sure knew how to think on his feet!
He made bail by noon the next day and was charged with Disorderly Conduct. He was picked up from the Sheriff's office the next day for work and we all had a good laugh.

TL;DR- There's always two sides to a story.

When I was 18, I worked at a recycling plant in rural North Carolina. You may think working nights scanning a conveyor belt for recyclables is dull. And you would be mostly correct.
One cold night I was sifting for metals and listening to Linkin Park on my head phones. Suddenly, the belt comes to a screeching halt and I hear terrified cries for help. Clarence, one of the other workers, had come in contact with a VERY dead animal.
Apparently, someone placed a cat into a large tupperware container and shut it tight. Clarence opened it and was greeted with the explosive guts of a badly decomposed feline. Poor Clarence! He did not take his misfortune well at all.
"I swear to GAWWWD! I wanna die! I wanna die! kill me now, oh GAAAWD!" he wailed. We wanted to comfort our friend but none of us dared get near because of the rotten odor emanating from him. "It's all over me guys please let me go home!"
The problem was that Clarence didn't have a car and co-workers took turns taking him to and from work. The shift leader said he could go home but no one was willing to offer him a ride. Understandably, he sadly left the floor and the building.
The next day, we found out that Clarence had called 911 on himself for "a black man prowling a neighborhood" from a payphone. The police showed up with guns drawn, arrested him, and he got new clothes and a shower. Clarence sure knew how to think on his feet!
He made bail by noon the next day and was charged with Disorderly Conduct. He was picked up from the Sheriff's office the next day for work and we all had a good laugh.

TL;DR- There's always two sides to a story.

So what's the other side to the story of a police officer choking an unarmed man to death and then not drawing any punishment?

Sorry 'Murica, we already have that parody on this board - ChrisPaul3
I'll let you take over coffeedeac or RJKarlsJr if you like

Lawyer at a large law firm is the first that comes to my mind. We in law are in the avant garde in recognizing and combating our "white privilege."

Federal contractor is the second.

What. The. Fuck. Are. You. Talking. About.

http://www.americanlawyer.com/id=1202656369463/The-Diversity-Crisis-Time-to-Call-It-Racism?slreturn=20141104141658

2% of Am Law 100 partners are black.

From the article:

A recent study by consulting firm Nextions confirms my observations. In it, 60 partners from 22 firms were asked to rate a research memo by a third-year associate. Some were told the memo was authored by a Caucasian; others were told an African-American wrote it. The Caucasian got a 4.1 out of a high grade of 5, while the African American got a 3.2.
"This confirms empirically what we know anecdotally," says Merle Vaughn, a managing partner and the head of diversity at recruiting firm Major Lindsey & Africa. "Implicit bias exists—which some would argue is explicit as well."

Last edited:
Good to know its all the white mans fault. That should make it easier to fix.

Who else's fault would it be. White males have constituted an overwhelming majority of this nation's leadership for its entire existence. White males write, interpret, and enforce our laws. White males control most of the capital in this country. White males own most of the land in this country.

If there is something fundamentally fucked up about a system set up by White males, it makes sense blame the White males who set up the system.

This concept is incredibly easy to grasp. Or so I thought.

Back