• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Solution: open Camden Yards, give everyone free weed (provided by the Baltimore PD from what they've confiscated on drug busts), blast some Marley, cook some dank ass food and talk it out.

I'd say this has at least a 73% chance of success.

Do life insurance policies pay out when people are killed by police?

Yes, but not if you're "committing a crime". Obviously lots of gray area there. Usually this comes up in pretty clear situations like in-process bank/store robberies. Not sure about stuff like the death of Mr. Gray.

Last edited:
I copied this from a Facebook post by a friend of mine who is a teacher in inner city Baltimore:

My kids show up to class hungry, often in the same dirty clothes every day. Sometimes it is clear that they did not have a chance to shower. Sometimes they have not slept at all. Far too often their personal lives spiked with tragedies that make it onto the evening news. Sometimes they are shot dead. Sometimes they are shot blocks from the schools they attend. Someone please tell me why we have to wait until a small portion of them throw rocks to declare a state of emergency. For far too many, their daily lives are an emergency.

Yes, but not if you're "committing a crime". Obviously lots of gray area there. Usually this comes up in pretty clear situations like in-process bank/store robberies. Not sure about stuff like the death of Mr. Gray.

Thus the question. Thanks. It's not surprising how many people care more about things than a human life and a family who will never see him again.

Thus the question. Thanks. It's not surprising how many people care more about things than a human life and a family who will never see him again.

Confused-Jacksonville-Jaguars-fan-in-stands.gif

Lots of posters came out of the woodwork to decry the rioting and looting who haven't once complained about people dying in police custody. It's worth asking why they would complain about the destruction of things and not complain about the destruction of lives.

And Gray was only the straw. Read up on how many millions of taxpayer dollars have been spent on judgements and settlements to victims of police violence in order to keep it going. Read up on "rough rides."

John Angelos deserves some positive attention for his take on the riots IMO:

"Brett, speaking only for myself, I agree with your point that the principle of peaceful, non-violent protest and the observance of the rule of law is of utmost importance in any society. MLK, Gandhi, Mandela and all great opposition leaders throughout history have always preached this precept. Further, it is critical that in any democracy, investigation must be completed and due process must be honored before any government or police members are judged responsible.

That said, my greater source of personal concern, outrage and sympathy beyond this particular case is focused neither upon one night’s property damage nor upon the acts, but is focused rather upon the past four-decade period during which an American political elite have shipped middle class and working class jobs away from Baltimore and cities and towns around the U.S. to third-world dictatorships like China and others, plunged tens of millions of good, hard-working Americans into economic devastation, and then followed that action around the nation by diminishing every American’s civil rights protections in order to control an unfairly impoverished population living under an ever-declining standard of living and suffering at the butt end of an ever-more militarized and aggressive surveillance state.

The innocent working families of all backgrounds whose lives and dreams have been cut short by excessive violence, surveillance, and other abuses of the Bill of Rights by government pay the true price, and ultimate price, and one that far exceeds the importances of any kids’ game played tonight, or ever, at Camden Yards. We need to keep in mind people are suffering and dying around the U.S., and while we are thankful no one was injured at Camden Yards, there is a far bigger picture for poor Americans in Baltimore and everywhere who don’t have jobs and are losing economic civil and legal rights, and this makes inconvenience at a ballgame irrelevant in light of the needless suffering government is inflicting upon ordinary Americans."

I was at Whole Foods a few minutes ago and overheard some (older) guys talking about the impending "civil war."

A. I can't believe people really think this
B. I had to check to make sure I was actually at Whole Foods. (This was later confirmed when I consulted my receipt and saw $18 for goji berries.)

Ta-Nehisi Coates weighs in. Make sure to read the whole thing, but I'll put these quotes in:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...iolence-as-compliance/391640/?utm_source=SFFB

This is really good, and sad.

The people now calling for nonviolence are not prepared to answer these questions. Many of them are charged with enforcing the very policies that led to Gray's death, and yet they can offer no rational justification for Gray's death and so they appeal for calm. But there was no official appeal for calm when Gray was being arrested. There was no appeal for calm when Jerriel Lyles was assaulted. (“The blow was so heavy. My eyes swelled up. Blood was dripping down my nose and out my eye.”) There was no claim for nonviolence on behalf of Venus Green. (“Bitch, you ain’t no better than any of the other old black bitches I have locked up.”) There was no plea for peace on behalf of Starr Brown. (“They slammed me down on my face,” Brown added, her voice cracking. “The skin was gone on my face.")

I copied this from a Facebook post by a friend of mine who is a teacher in inner city Baltimore:

This is also really good. And sad.

How have they not determined how Gray's neck was broken yet? He was only in custody for about 30 minutes between his arrest and going to the hospital, and was only in contact with a very small number of people during that time.

I was at Whole Foods a few minutes ago and overheard some (older) guys talking about the impending "civil war."

A. I can't believe people really think this
B. I had to check to make sure I was actually at Whole Foods. (This was later confirmed when I consulted my receipt and saw $18 for goji berries.)

Come on man. Goji berries? For real?

Tulsa sheriff doing some scape goating:

Tulsa sheriff’s official resigns after fatal shooting of Eric Harris

“Given the gravity of the current situation and the need to go a different direction with our leadership and management, he agrees with me that it is time for a change,” Glanz said in a statement. Albin is retiring on Friday.

Glanz said he would continue to examine the department and expected more changes in the coming days.

John Angelos deserves some positive attention for his take on the riots IMO:

"Brett, speaking only for myself, I agree with your point that the principle of peaceful, non-violent protest and the observance of the rule of law is of utmost importance in any society. MLK, Gandhi, Mandela and all great opposition leaders throughout history have always preached this precept. Further, it is critical that in any democracy, investigation must be completed and due process must be honored before any government or police members are judged responsible.

That said, my greater source of personal concern, outrage and sympathy beyond this particular case is focused neither upon one night’s property damage nor upon the acts, but is focused rather upon the past four-decade period during which an American political elite have shipped middle class and working class jobs away from Baltimore and cities and towns around the U.S. to third-world dictatorships like China and others, plunged tens of millions of good, hard-working Americans into economic devastation, and then followed that action around the nation by diminishing every American’s civil rights protections in order to control an unfairly impoverished population living under an ever-declining standard of living and suffering at the butt end of an ever-more militarized and aggressive surveillance state.

The innocent working families of all backgrounds whose lives and dreams have been cut short by excessive violence, surveillance, and other abuses of the Bill of Rights by government pay the true price, and ultimate price, and one that far exceeds the importances of any kids’ game played tonight, or ever, at Camden Yards. We need to keep in mind people are suffering and dying around the U.S., and while we are thankful no one was injured at Camden Yards, there is a far bigger picture for poor Americans in Baltimore and everywhere who don’t have jobs and are losing economic civil and legal rights, and this makes inconvenience at a ballgame irrelevant in light of the needless suffering government is inflicting upon ordinary Americans."

Am I the only one that read this to myself in Mayor Carcetti's voice?

Back