• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

If a WFU education is worth a damn, it should teach people to keep an open mind before they make up their own mind and consider and be respectful of different perspectives. Threads like this are frustrating and embarrassing.

I have no knowledge of what actually happened. Objectively, some of the police officers I have seen on video (after the fact) are an embarrassment to law enforcement, but I don't know and cannot tell what happened with the shooting in question.

this is actually funny b/c this particular thread has remarkably stayed on track and really isn't that petty or 'traditionally' partisan

but not, like, 4 pages of tangent between two posters measuring dicks about a semantic disagreement

#neverfails

If you put RJ and jhmd on ignore and then just skip over any post that quotes them, then these threads become way, way more readable.

If a WFU education is worth a damn, it should teach people to keep an open mind before they make up their own mind and consider and be respectful of different perspectives. Threads like this are frustrating and embarrassing.

I have no knowledge of what actually happened. Objectively, some of the police officers I have seen on video (after the fact) are an embarrassment to law enforcement, but I don't know and cannot tell what happened with the shooting in question.

I don't have a WF education but I agree with you whole heartedly. If the officer murdered this young man in cold blood then I want him prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. For my own point of view I was merely offering an opinion based on the still limited information that I have access to...and it appeared that many of the initial claims of shooting an unarmed,kneeling young man who was begging for his life have not held up under scrutiny. That,of itself,justifies nothing and a young person is still dead. Trayvon's life and this young man's sad end are nothing but tragic. There is too much fear between us and nobody -- very rarely, I'd say -- ever matches the typecasting we all sometimes employ when addressing one another. Just an observation and I am not in possession of the truth.

We really stretching this thing out far enough to say that it was a shoplift, even if the owner of the store claims it wasn't ? We'll believe every word of a man who just shot Brown to death, who could face jail time, but we can't believe a store owner who last saw Brown, and is on tape being pushed by Brown?

You have to think if the police had a picture of Wilson with a fucked up face they would have released it along with the pictures of Brown stealing those cigars.

Ferguson PD wanted to keep Wilson anonymous as long as they could, but after the photos of him receiving an award were circulated, why didn't they leak a picture of Wilson with a severely beaten face? That seems a lot more relevant to why Brown's dead than the convenience store video.

Ferguson PD wanted to keep Wilson anonymous as long as they could, but after the photos of him receiving an award were circulated, why didn't they leak a picture of Wilson with a severely beaten face? That seems a lot more relevant to why Brown's dead than the convenience store video.

Exactly. They lied to the State Police and DOJ about not leaking the shoplifting picture. If Wilson had been injured in this manner, it's logical to think that picture would be everywhere by now.

We really stretching this thing out far enough to say that it was a shoplift, even if the owner of the store claims it wasn't ? We'll believe every word of a man who just shot Brown to death, who could face jail time, but we can't believe a store owner who last saw Brown, and is on tape being pushed by Brown?

I'm with you. I want to hear what happened at the store. I want to know why the clerk felt like he had to come out from behind the counter and effectively chase Mike out the door. Maybe Mike said something snarky and the owner wanted to let him know not to come back to the store if he was going to behave in such a way...I assume there was some interaction that led Mike to put his hands on the man in the way that he did.

That's a really, really big dude to come out from behind the counter to physically confront for no reason.

That's a really, really big dude to come out from behind the counter to physically confront for no reason.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The narrative is trying to nap.

PR guys, they aren't. I suspect they had the typical "hunker down and don't talk about an ongoing investigation" mentality without appreciating that Rome was burning around them. They've made a fair number of PR blunders that have legitimately caused people to think they are hiding bad shit, but whether they are or not remains to be seen.

Damn it, I hate agreeing with Junebug and whatshisnuts on something.

they aren't just shit at pr. they are shit at race relations and community policing. a ton has come out about the ferguson pd that looks a hell of a lot worse than a possible shoplifting in regards to who was likely more at fault in this situation.

PR guys, they aren't. I suspect they had the typical "hunker down and don't talk about an ongoing investigation" mentality without appreciating that Rome was burning around them. They've made a fair number of PR blunders that have legitimately caused people to think they are hiding bad shit, but whether they are or not remains to be seen.

But they were wise enough to leak the shoplifting pictures. It would be logical to have dumped the broken faced cop pictures at the same time. They understood enough to leak the former.

This thread has gone about like all political threads on this board go. People on both sides first reach their conclusion based upon their predictable, predisposed political leanings. Then, after they have reached their conclusion, they attempt to create a scenario of "facts"....which are mostly their own assumptions which have been molded by their predisposed political views....to justify that conclusion.

People do not debate political issues. They simply posture and advocate their personal political views.

Has any poster said anything in this thread that came as a surprise to anyone?

I'm with you until your last sentence. I have been impressed by some of the comments from posters who have previously appeared to be very conservative or liberal.

I feel like I'm just continuing a silly tangent, but if he hadn't stolen anything, wouldn't someone have said so by now? Like the friend or store owner? In this story, the owner's lawyer says they didn't call the police, but doesn't say that nothing was stolen: link

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The narrative is trying to nap.
"Narrative"! You're funny. Conservative whites are perfectly happy to paint this issue with broad strokes, (see every reference to "thug") but when someone steps up to defend the character of the dead black guy from hearsay, it's a "narrative".

I'm obviously missing something. Has the store owner claimed it wasn't a shoplift?

"Narrative"! You're funny. Conservative whites are perfectly happy to paint this issue with broad strokes, (see every reference to "thug") but when someone steps up to defend the character of the dead black guy from hearsay, it's a "narrative".

Or a fairy tale if you're being particularly condescending.

Back