• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

First of all, it was like 10 in the morning so it seems pretty unreasonable for the officer to immediately jump to the conclusion that there might be a DUI going on. And I take issue with your whole premise that a cop needs to be checking into everything that might possibly be a bit out of the mainstream. Cops shouldn't be involved unless there's actually a concrete problem.

But even accepting your premise, once the cop got up to the window and saw there was nothing going on, he should have walked away. But a mere citizen dared to challenge his authoritah, so he escalated things until they got out of control.

I work on the side as a referee for a pretty high level of sports. So I have authority over the players and coaches that I interact with. But one of the most important parts of my job is being able to DEescalate confrontations, even if it means that the players/coaches get in a few nasty words that I ignore. Cops should be the ones calming things down, but instead, we see too many of these situations (like this one, and the dude sitting on his mom's porch) where they are really the only ones causing the problem.

Don't get me wrong, I don't disagree with you especially in this case. I was just trying to make the point that each case is independent of the other. Also, if the officer cannot verbalized a good reason to stop someone, then there probably isn't a good reason so they should just go on their way.

Just trying to give insight from the side of someone who has actually made a traffic stop.

So police = referee at whatever bush league games you're reffing. Okay. I understand now.

Wrong color for anyone to really give a shit about this outside of Shelby and people like me who were close to him, but curious what the thread thinks about this situation http://www.shelbystar.com/news/2016...force-after-attacked-with-chair-345-pm-update

I can't remember, but I'm willing to bet I saw this on BLM-related social media. Some people cared.

So police = referee at whatever bush league games you're reffing. Okay. I understand now.

Do you disagree with the premise that cops should be voice of reason in these situations rather than the instigator? Did you watch the video?

Any time you're defending any police action that includes the words "shoot first, ask questions later" you're not off to a great start. This mentality by police is a massive part of the problem

Just so we're clear, I think there needs to be a drastic overhaul in when, why, and where cops respond.

My point on this one is that: given the situation as it was (with the cops already there), when a man reaches for his pocket suddenly and pulls them up menacingly/aimed at police officers, if I am the LEO then I am going to protect myself first.

We need to figure out better ways to avoid those situations altogether and entirely. It puts everybody in danger and causes people to make very rash decisions that change (or end) the course of everybody's life involved.

Have either of you ever taken an implicit bias test?

It's a yes or no question.

Have either of you ever taken an implicit bias test?

Not directed at me, but I have taken one (racial) online. I thought it was a bit loaded in that the sequence of good vs bad (judged by if you were correct and time to answer) didn't appear to take into account the time it took to become acclimated to the ordering.

Back