• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

F is for Fascism (Ferguson MO)

Sequita Thompson, Clark’s grandmother, said she was home when gunshots rang out.

“The only thing that I heard was pow, pow, pow, pow, and I got to the ground.” she told the Sacramento Bee.

She said that neither she nor her husband heard police issue commands before hearing gunfire.

Thompson said she was interviewed for several hours before police told her Clark had been shot.

“I opened that curtain and he was dead,” she said. “I started screaming.”

They interviewed a grandmother for hours before telling her they killed her grandchild.

So they shot and killed a guy and interviewed his grandma for hours because they thought he was breaking car windows.

Seems excessive.

‘Our city is hurting’: Protesters swarm downtown Sacramento following deadly police shooting

The sequence, from the first glimpse of Clark on the patio to the first gunshot, unfolded in about six seconds.

The officers are never heard identifying themselves as police before fatally shooting Clark.

“He was at the wrong place at the wrong time in his own back yard?” his grandmother, Sequita Thompson, told the Sacramento Bee. “C’mon, now, they didn’t have to do that.”

“I told the officers, ‘You guys are murderers. Murderers,’ ” Thompson cried out. “You took him away from his kids.”

The family said Clark had two young sons, Cairo and Aiden, and a fiancee, Salena Manni, the Associated Press reported.

No charges filed against the officer that shot Alton Sterling

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/27/us/alton-sterling-investigation/index.html

I don't know if this is newly confirmed, but it was rumor for a long time:

But while declining to pursue charges in Sterling’s death, federal authorities provided Sterling’s family with new details about his death. After meeting with investigators, Chris Stewart, the lead attorney for the Sterling family, told reporters that evidence shows that at the beginning of the interaction with Sterling, Officer Salamoni put his gun to Sterling’s head, and said, “I’ll kill you, b—-.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/03/27/baton-rouge-police-officers-wont-be-charged-in-fatal-shooting-of-alton-sterling/?utm_term=.8b594e243898

29571343_10101272172133646_6005723400219798118_n.jpg

Our "justice" system isn't capable of holding LEOs accountable for killing. They have too much power. The law enforcement standard for justified use of force is far too low and subjective for civilians to be adequately protected by the judicial system.

^ that story encapsulates a ton of American issues, and it highlights the fact that the root of all these evils is guns. this country is awash in guns, and the police are not being unreasonable to assume that everyone they encounter is quite likely to have a gun. some police officers may react unreasonably - even murderously - with regard to this assumption, and they should be held accountable for their misbehavior. nonetheless, at the end of the day, if we got rid of all the damn guns EVERYONE would be safer, very much including police officers and very much including the people that police officers encounter on a daily basis.

Conservative authoritarians in this country use the justice system as an extension of their 2nd Amendment rights. Modern day slave catchers.

Three good posts.

^ that story encapsulates a ton of American issues, and it highlights the fact that the root of all these evils is guns. this country is awash in guns, and the police are not being unreasonable to assume that everyone they encounter is quite likely to have a gun. some police officers may react unreasonably - even murderously - with regard to this assumption, and they should be held accountable for their misbehavior. nonetheless, at the end of the day, if we got rid of all the damn guns EVERYONE would be safer, very much including police officers and very much including the people that police officers encounter on a daily basis.

Sorry, but I think this is wrong. The roots of the problems extend much further than the obscene number of guns. You have to look at white supremacy and how our institutions were developed, whose interests are protected by the state, how the state sanctions and commits violence. Police and the larger prison industrial complex subject people to violence everyday without using guns. If we just remove guns, we are likely to take guns from poor and oppressed people, while allowing the institutions to continue committing other forms violence.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that guns are our only problem. In fact, I think it is the people arguing for better gun control that recognize those other issues.

Sorry, but I think this is wrong. The roots of the problems extend much further than the obscene number of guns. You have to look at white supremacy and how our institutions were developed, whose interests are protected by the state, how the state sanctions and commits violence. Police and the larger prison industrial complex subject people to violence everyday without using guns. If we just remove guns, we are likely to take guns from poor and oppressed people, while allowing the institutions to continue committing other forms violence.

I was not responding to a story about systemic racial oppression or the prison industrial complex, I was responding to a story about police officers having hair triggers to any remote possibility that anyone they encounter has a gun. So while I don't disagree with the substance of your post, you're kind of mischaracterizing mine. As an example, I don't believe that a British cop would get away with the Alton Sterling murder, or a lot of similar fact patterns we see regularly in America, by just saying "I thought he was reaching for a gun". British people would find that to be completely implausible, but in America it's completely legitimate to fear that anyone you meet might be armed.

Remove the guns, you remove a huge excuse that is used to justify dozens if not hundreds of extrajudicial killings every year. Won't solve everything you're identifying, of course, but it will solve a real problem and also prevent many, many unnecessary deaths that don't involve police officers.

New Alton Sterling shooting videos show deadly, heated scene at Triple S

Salamoni, on his body-camera video, can be heard shouting profanities at Sterling from the outset of the encounter, threatening to shoot Sterling in the head if he failed to place his hands on the hood of a vehicle. Sterling seems confused at times, asking, "What I did, sir?" and, seconds later, telling the officers they were hurting his arm.

"Don't f****** move or I'll shoot your f****** ass, bitch," Salamoni screams. "Put your f****** hands on the car. Put your hands on the car or I'll shoot you in your f****** head, you understand me? Don't you f****** move, you hear me?

After the shooting, a breathless Salamoni curses at Sterling, repeatedly calling him a "stupid motherf*****" as he lay motionless on the ground.

Back