• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fab 5 another dook response

Deac83

Reaction score
Thomas Hill is from the Dallas area. The local paper did a decent article on this.

Link

He's correct Plano is pretty darn far from the Dallas inner city. More like a suburb.

In addition to condemning Rose's comments, Hill also took exception with what King said in the documentary. Hill knows King, a 1991 Plano East graduate, didn't grow up in the inner city.

"The comment Jimmy King made about him being from the inner city, it's misleading, it's fraudulent," Hill said. "That's the thing that's potentially damaging to people like him, to the black folks who saw that.

"When he was one of those guys getting in front of a camera talking about 'us five inner city kids,' that's misleading. What Jimmy King said was very, very, very, very troubling. It's like he's living a lie is the way I took that."

Hill also disputed that the Fab Five were the first college basketball players to wear baggy shorts and black shoes, a trend that is a part of today's professional and college basketball culture.

"First of all, Larry Johnson [while at Nevada-Las Vegas] wore baggy pants and they also wore blacks shoes," Hill said. "In the game we beat them in the [1991 NCAA semifinals], they had long shorts and all that.

I'm so sick of K, Grant Hill, and now the lesser Hill reframing the debate. Jalen Rose was obviously talking about his mind frame as a 17-year old recruit, and he clarified such on that ESPN show with Skip Bayless.

What's worse: a 17-year old thinking ignorant things about an entire school and program, or 40-year old men wearing their insecurities on their sleeve?

To be fair, I think, I believe this is a local reporter interviewing a guy who lives here in Dallas. It's not Grant sending in an editorial to the NYT or WSJ.

Other than saying no to the interview, it's not different than Rose framing his 17 yr old comments.

I did find this point interesting:

A real estate developer in the Dallas area, Hill applauded Rose for being the executive producer of the Fab Five documentary, and he praised the Fab Five for what they were able to achieve. But he also noted that the Fab Five could have truly been trailblazers had they taken their talents to an historic black college.

"They could have really made some history if they would have gone that route," Hill said. "If they go to an all-black school, it changes the landscape of college basketball, and historical black colleges are now making money and hitting their bottom lines.

"But it's really a lot of irony with what they're talking about and how they're taking shots at guys like us.... Michigan wasn't Grambling."

Rose being the Ex Producer obviously slants the story. Rose clearly inflated the impact of the Fab 5 or the significance of it.

Didn't Chris Webber go to suburban Detroit Country Day School? Wasn't his mom a teacher or somethnig like that?

The only thing that was ghetto about Cweb was the $200K+ he took in payments from an inner-city bookie.

I'm so sick of K, Grant Hill, and now the lesser Hill reframing the debate. Jalen Rose was obviously talking about his mind frame as a 17-year old recruit, and he clarified such on that ESPN show with Skip Bayless.

What's worse: a 17-year old thinking ignorant things about an entire school and program, or 40-year old men wearing their insecurities on their sleeve?

yep, failing to understand why this was/is a big deal to anyone

Didn't Chris Webber go to suburban Detroit Country Day School? Wasn't his mom a teacher or somethnig like that?

The only thing that was ghetto about Cweb was the $200K+ he took in payments from an inner-city bookie.

He actually went to the same high school as Shane Battier.

The dichotomy of Chris Webber's persona was an excellent part of the documentary, I thought, and made me wish he'd participated. I know he has some haters, but the man is bright, proud, and nuanced. Of course "the street" would fascinate him as a young man, considering the setting (Detroit), his chosen pursuit (basketball), and the racial history surrounding both of the above. Personally, I think it's great he looked at Duke and said "thanks, but no thanks." I'm sure that's a sentiment we as Wake fans can understand and appreciate.

Further, the documentary made it clear it's highly unlikely he accepted money before declaring for the draft - a much smaller sin, in my opinion.

I'm repeating Bill Simmons here, but you have to wonder how different his career would've been had Michigan had that timeout.

Future HOFer, regardless.

chris_webber.jpg

Rose was also talking about the common mindset about Duke back in the early 90s. That's why the Duke vs. UNLV showdowns were considered "good" vs. "evil" matchups. Duke's run to prominence with players like Alarie, Ferry, Hurley, and Laettner was considered to make college hoops palpable for the old crusty jaded white guys.

Not that Tark was on the NCAA's #1 most wanted list? UNLV really did run a renegade program so the good vs. evil was earned and not perception.

As soon as Michigan lost the title game to Carolina, a suitemate picked up the phone to call his best friend from home who was in school at Michigan. Someone in Ann Arbor picked up the phone, at which point my friend said,

"Hey. This is _____. I was wondering if ______ has time out to talk."

There was a moment of silence on the other end of the phone. Then a tirade of 4 letter words, followed by the sound of something shattering before the line went dead.

Fuck Michigan. Fuck Chris Webber and the rest of the Flab Five. Fuck 'em. All of 'em.

Who hid more: Jeff Bridges' character in the movie Blown Away or Cweb in the fourth quearter of NBA playoff games?

When the Queens move from Sacramento to Anaheim will they beome the Tinkerbells?

Thomas Hill is from the Dallas area. The local paper did a decent article on this.

Link

He's correct Plano is pretty darn far from the Dallas inner city. More like a suburb.

In addition to condemning Rose's comments, Hill also took exception with what King said in the documentary. Hill knows King, a 1991 Plano East graduate, didn't grow up in the inner city.

"The comment Jimmy King made about him being from the inner city, it's misleading, it's fraudulent," Hill said. "That's the thing that's potentially damaging to people like him, to the black folks who saw that.

Plano now is a nice area. But is wasnt when Jimmy was there.

Plano West? Yes

Plano East was ghetto. This article is wrong

Last edited:

It's clear he still thinks that. Come on he's hardly even hiding it

It's clear he still thinks that. Come on he's hardly even hiding it

He's clarified the Uncle Tom remarks while restating that Duke only recruits "a certain type of player." And is he wrong in that regard? Chris Webber fit that mold. So did Laettner. J-Rose didn't. It's clearly worked for K, so I don't begrudge him for it, but in a sport where a lot of talented players come from rough backgrounds, such an approach and strategy will get noticed and derided. Rose just said on television what many of us have said between friends for years.

Back