• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facebook Gold from Crazies

http://christiannews.net/2013/06/04...-on-stage-recites-lords-prayer-at-graduation/

The article is interesting, as I understood this to be a pretty settled issue of Constitutional law. The comments... uhh... they're a mixed bag.

Great irony here is that the Lord's Prayer is in Matthew 6:9-15. Matthew 6:5-6 says:

And whenever you pray, do not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, so that they may be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward. But whenever you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you.*

I'm pretty sure first century Palestine didn't have a Supreme Court that had done its best to remove government supported/encouraged prayer from schools. I don't know the kid, but, against this backdrop, his prayer doesn't seem at all like what Jesus was talking about.

I'll file this away for the next time the topic of what the Bible has to say about gay marriage comes up.

Fine by me. I wouldn't expect you (or anyone) to remember my posts regarding gay marriage, but they have nothing whatsoever to do with the Bible.

I also think there is fertile ground for a conversation about where Christians may have faced more persecution The Roman Empire or the US Supreme Court.

I also think there is fertile ground for a conversation about where Christians may have faced more persecution The Roman Empire or the US Supreme Court.

For reference, the Court cases that I was referring to (and I assume DeacFreak is referring to the same ones) are:

- Engel v. Vitale (1962)
- Abington School District v. Schempp (1963)
- Lee v. Weisman (1992)
- Santa Fe Independent School Dist. v. Doe (2000)

If conflict between the Establishment Clause and the First Amendment is something that you're interested in reading up on, these cases are the best starting point.

For reference, the Court cases that I was referring to (and I assume DeacFreak is referring to the same ones) are:

- Engel v. Vitale (1962)
- Abington School District v. Schempp (1963)
- Lee v. Weisman (1992)
- Santa Fe Independent School Dist. v. Doe (2000)

If conflict between the Establishment Clause and the First Amendment is something that you're interested in reading up on, these cases are the best starting point.

The thing about these cases (and almost all cases about Religion and the 1st Amendment) is that they are about members of minority religious traditions against majority religions. The narrative devolves into godless sectarians vs. Christianity, but that is rarely the case. The reality is much more inline with the freedom of and from Religion that is fundamental to the founding of America.

Imagine the outrage if that kid had recited a Muslim prayer. The Butthurt would be off the charts.

There's nothing harder than being a straight, white, Christian in 21st century America.

406_10200665060622185_257842170_n.jpg

This isn't necessarily crazy, but it popped up in my feed and is currently ruining my day.

yhytygy4.jpg

Not on facebook but I thought this was best placed here.

I was at my in-laws this weekend when my 7 month old son got a hold of my uncle-in-law (HARD CORE Beck guy...literally thinks Obama is the anti-Christ) cell phone. Somehow my son managed to send a gibberish text to an Illinois number. The uncle was sure this was someone because Obama is listening to his phone calls and reading his texts. I could not follow his line of thinking but he was not kidding. I was expecting him to start darkening the windows to hide from the drones.

"Republicans balancing the state budget and making our state (with it's abysmal employment rate) attractive for job creators = slashing democratic programs. The logic of people in this economy is amazing..."

"Republicans balancing the state budget and making our state (with it's abysmal employment rate) attractive for job creators = slashing democratic programs. The logic of people in this economy is amazing..."

is that in reference to NC? regardless, i love how politicians brag about balancing state budgets, which are required by law (most states I believe). Congrats on not murdering anyone this session either.

is that in reference to NC? regardless, i love how politicians brag about balancing state budgets, which are required by law (most states I believe). Congrats on not murdering anyone this session either.

lol, yep.

Not political, but still worth sharing:

"XXXX XXXX Shared We Support Paula Deen's Photo:

Apology accepted Paula! Let him that is without sin cast the first stone!"

1016132_595152437185495_807059367_n.jpg

1001642_321296738003511_1267987691_n.jpg

This guy is pure gold. Every day it is stupidity or racism.

Back