• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facing the Iranian Nuclear Problem

ArlingtonDeac

Reaction score
This might be the first thread I've ever started on these boards, but I wanted to highlight this opinion piece, which very eloquently states my beliefs on how the US should adjust to the inevitability of a nuclear Iran. The second strategy the author outlines is what I believe to be the only viable course, as nothing short of invasion in going to deter Iran from acquiring nuclear capability, and we simply cannot afford to ignore that reality. Basically, this is what I was trying to say on the other thread, and why I think strong-armed, intimidation-based military or economic options against Iran such as air strikes, aggressive rhetoric, or economic sanctions are ultimately self-defeating.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/14/opinion/ayoob-iran-nulcear/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Thanks for posting that article. I had missed it before. I recall hearing someone speak on NPR not long ago with the same views more or less.

I agree that their eventual capacity to produce a nuclear weapon is a near certainty.They clearly have all the motivation they need.

Chosing the second option would seem to require accepting the premise that Iran will operate in a rational way. Just wondering if you think that is something you believe can happen. I certainly don't believe that Iran is full of fanatics, but it only takes a few right?

If the author is correct in his assertion that an American or Israeli strike would only set the program back a few years, not terminate it, than his second strategy is probably the only way to go. I'm sure the Iranians have taken precautions to ensure that their facilities aren't as vulnerable as Iraq's were in 1981 when Israel took them out.

It's kind of sad because the Iranian people are probably the most pro-Western in the Middle East. But the mullahs are pure wack-jobs.

Their people are cool but their leaders continually piss off the world community.

It's probably how they view us.

I've stated many times that I find the Iranian government, as it has actually operated, to have been entirely rational in their foreign policy since assuming power thirty years ago. Brutal, amoral, and entirely rational. The rhetoric spewed by their puppet president is just that--fundamentalist red meat that keeps the people distracted from the regime's repressive internal policies. We play right into this control mechanism by demonizing and threatening Iran at every turn, giving the regime a legitimacy it might not have without a western boogeyman to vilify and measure itself against. We allow the Iranian people to hate us more than they hate their direct oppressors, and the regime feeds that fire.

Iran has slowly but effectively accumulated regional power of the last three decades, and have smartly refrained from aggressive, uniformed-military-type actions (such as invading a neighbor), while operating below the threshold that would trigger a US invasion or an Israeli attack. Concurrently they covertly work to undermine counter-interests in the region (so do we). And then we gave Iran the all-time greatest birthday present of destroying their main check on regional hegemony, Iraq, while getting nothing out of it ourselves (being their second major check), and, in the process, ensured that we can't invade them and stop their nuclear program. Savvy.

There is nothing in the actions of the Iranian regime over the past thirty years that can reasonably lead one to believe that, having finally achieved nuclear capability, they will suddenly commit regime suicide by either giving away such hard-earned technology to a terrorist cell or using it themselves. MAD with Israel and a final check on the threat of US invasion may actually reduce Iranian military paranoia, and ease tensions. I expect they'll behave exactly as Pakistan does with India. Indeed, I expect them to fiercely guard their nuclear capability in the same manner that every new member of the nuclear club does. Once in, you don't want anyone else in, because it decreases your power base. Iran doesn't want another group in the Gulf region to have nuclear capability.

Once at the big table, why do people think they'll immediately destroy themselves? They'll have achieved national security and regional hegemony in one fell swoop. What do you think their further ambitions are? Land conquest? The actual destruction of Israel? Will Palestinians even matter to Iran, once they no longer need that thorn in Israel's side, having achieved MAD? I just don't understand why people think Iran will overplay their best hand, when they've been playing weaker hands extremely well for the entire existence of this junta. I don't see the irrationality in their actions to date, so I don't predict for them to act appreciably different once they achieve the next level of international power. We have to deal with someone in the region, unless we intend to annex it. I fail to see why Iran is such an impossible trading partner. What separates them from the Saudis?

Last edited:
You gotta spread out your great posts, man.

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to arlingtondeac again

Wow. Good op-ed. This is so true:

The American decision to invade non-nuclear Iraq while desisting from militarily confronting a nuclear North Korea surely tells Iran's rulers that even rudimentary nuclear capability can deter potential American and allied designs to attack Iran, whether to topple its regime or impair its nuclear capacity

Back