• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Facts for football fans

WakeTheNation

Reaction score
Came across some odd facts related to football, kind of interesting...

11rqkix.jpg
[/IMG]

More here...
http://izismile.com/2013/09/05/facts_for_football_fans_20_pics.html

Was talking about this GT score this weekend with the start of college football, and my buddy and I were saying that it almost seems impossible for a team to score that much in one game. If Cumberland had just taken a knee every snap and got off a successful punt it would be hard to 7.5 touchdowns a quarter.

The life expectancy one seems ridiculous.

I think that is an old stat that doesn't reflect the life expectancy of current players.

They played make-it-take-it back then.

What's up with the weird kickoffs?

After Tech went up 28-0, Cumberland kicked off three straight times. At random times, it looks like Cumberland kicks off.

Looks like we all noticed this at the same time.

It wasn't make-it, take-it, though. A lot of times GTech would score, and then kick off.

Found the answer:

"The pattern continued for two more touchdowns. Georgia Tech would kick off, Cumberland would try futilely to gain, Tech would take over and score with insulting ease. Behind 28-0, Cumberland shifted strategy. Instead of receiving, they would kick off, forcing Georgia Tech deep into its own territory. On the first such attempt the kickoff was returned 70 yards to the Cumberland 10. It took two plays to put the ball across the goal line. The next Cumberland kick-off was returned to Tech's 40. On the first play from scrimmage Everett Strupper went 60 yards for another touchdown, Jim Preas kicked his sixth extra point and Georgia Tech led 42-0. Cumberland kicked off again. Its defenses stiffened, and Georgia Tech needed three plays to move 65 yards to another touchdown. Cumberland went back to receiving."

Found the answer:

"The pattern continued for two more touchdowns. Georgia Tech would kick off, Cumberland would try futilely to gain, Tech would take over and score with insulting ease. Behind 28-0, Cumberland shifted strategy. Instead of receiving, they would kick off, forcing Georgia Tech deep into its own territory. On the first such attempt the kickoff was returned 70 yards to the Cumberland 10. It took two plays to put the ball across the goal line. The next Cumberland kick-off was returned to Tech's 40. On the first play from scrimmage Everett Strupper went 60 yards for another touchdown, Jim Preas kicked his sixth extra point and Georgia Tech led 42-0. Cumberland kicked off again. Its defenses stiffened, and Georgia Tech needed three plays to move 65 yards to another touchdown. Cumberland went back to receiving."

Wait. So did the punt not exist?

Wait. So did the punt not exist?

No, the punt definitely existed because Cumberland used that a lot in that game. I think what happened is that technically after a score you had the *option* of kicking off or receiving (just like after the coin flip). I don't know if that's still the case after each score, but I think I remember that you technically make that call after half time (in addition to after the coin flip). Seems like there was some instance not too long ago where an NFL team messed that up and ended up kicking off at both the beginning of the game and after half time.

Edited to add: Yep - it was the Raiders in 2011:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/15/raiders-coin-toss-procedures-are-in-preseason-form/

Last edited:
No, the punt definitely existed because Cumberland used that a lot in that game. I think what happened is that technically after a score you had the *option* of kicking off or receiving (just like after the coin flip). I don't know if that's still the case after each score, but I think I remember that you technically make that call after half time (in addition to after the coin flip). Seems like there was some instance not too long ago where an NFL team messed that up and ended up kicking off at both the beginning of the game and after half time.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/15/raiders-coin-toss-procedures-are-in-preseason-form/

Yeah, without looking it up, I kind of assumed that - in theory - a team could choose to kick-off after an opponent's score. What I didn't understand is why Cumberland believed they would give Georgia Tech better field position by running three offensive plays and punting as compared to just kicking off. I guess their kick-off return game and/or punter was just that bad. Even then, if you consider time of possession, they might have been better off receiving the kick-off and just kneeling on it for 3 plays to shorten the game.

i am almost positive the jets did this once in the last few years in a game against buffalo.

Yeah, without looking it up, I kind of assumed that - in theory - a team could choose to kick-off after an opponent's score. What I didn't understand is why Cumberland believed they would give Georgia Tech better field position by running three offensive plays and punting as compared to just kicking off. I guess their kick-off return game and/or punter was just that bad. Even then, if you consider time of possession, they might have been better off receiving the kick-off and just kneeling on it for 3 plays to shorten the game.

They thought they had a better chance to stop tech deep in their own territory and them would get better field position.

Also- they did shorten the third and fourth quarters somewhat out of mercy.

The national championship was apparently decided by total points scored. And Cumberland had thrashed heismans baseball team by hiring ringers to play - so he had lots of reasons to run it up on them.

There's a good book about it that's out of print: "you dropped it, you pick it up".

The Texans comment is wrong - the Kansas City Chiefs were known as the Texans as well when they started in Dallas.

Deion Sanders was an extremely fast runner but a terrible swimmer

Back