• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Family San Diego vacation?

Would not recommend TJ for a family trip. For one thing it's not a very family orientated town to vacation in the first place, for another the cartels have made a considerable push into the area over the past 5-6 years. If you just want to take your family down to Baja Mexico, then I recommend towns further south of the border. Rosarita is just to the south of Tijuana, but nowhere near as trashy. Ensenada, is a little farther south and has some very cool whale watching spots.

I lived in the San Diego area for 2 years and loved my time there. Downtown has plenty of tourist street shopping and restaurants to see. A short walk from there to the pier and you can take your family on board the USS Midway. Balboa park is a neat area, close to the San Diego zoo, which the family will enjoy. After you're done in Sea World, there are a few other amusement park areas close to the Mission Beach area, Belmont Park is right down the road, and I believe LegoLand is close by, but might be more closer towards Carlsbad. Anaheim and LA is also a short 1.5-2 hour drive up the road on I-5. You can find a lot to do up there as well (Universal Studios/Disneyland/Knott's Berry Farm/ etc.).

This is great. I grew up there. As I soon as I read kids 6 and 10 and TJ I cringed. And I thought of both Rosarito and Ensenada as better options.

I would add that the "new" (or updated) wild animal park is awesome.aka safari park. It's a bit north of the city ~35 minutes, but some very unique things to do there, like watching a Cheetah in a full sprint or petting a giraffe. The zoo is also awesome.

Coronado Is also a pretty cool area. Some cool shops, a big park and beaches. Plus the kids will enjoy crossing the bridge.

Last edited:
Free parking in Coronado thru the holidays...see you at Leroy's.
Love Leroy's. I always stay at the Glorietta Bay Inn across from the Del when I'm out there. It's way cheaper than staying downtown during big conventions. Another spot I love out there is Bluewater Seafood over in the India St area.

For kids: The Midway is cool. Old Town is pretty neat. Seaworld..OK. Zoo is great. Balboa park is neat. There's a tour bus that goes around to lots of spots. You buy day passes and just get on and off as you like. There's an aquarium up in La Jolla I believe. Bay cruises look cool but have never done one.

Love Leroy's. I always stay at the Glorietta Bay Inn across from the Del when I'm out there. It's way cheaper than staying downtown during big conventions. Another spot I love out there is Bluewater Seafood over in the India St area.

For kids: The Midway is cool. Old Town is pretty neat. Seaworld..OK. Zoo is great. Balboa park is neat. There's a tour bus that goes around to lots of spots. You buy day passes and just get on and off as you like. There's an aquarium up in La Jolla I believe. Bay cruises look cool but have never done one.

I used to take the water cab taxi from NAS North Island by Coronado to the docks by downtown. Was only $5 at the time back in 2006, last time I took one.

Kids would probably enjoy the seals at La Jolla cove. Grab some breakfast at Cody's.

I used to take the water cab taxi from NAS North Island by Coronado to the docks by downtown. Was only $5 at the time back in 2006, last time I took one.
The ferry is only $4.25 from the end of Orange on Coronado to the convention center dock.

Blue Water is my favorite place to get fish tacos. The early flight from Charleston puts me in SD about an hour before they open for lunch, so we always manage to be first in line for lunch when they open. DELICIOUS.

Back