• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fathers/Sons with NBA/ABA Careers

devi8

Reaction score
Manning's father playing in the NBA got me thinking about other father/son combos

Here's the list....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_second-generation_National_Basketball_Association_players

4 have produced multiple NBA offspring but Rick Berry is the only one w/ more than 2. Interesting that the Barry kids' maternal grandfather (Bruce Hale) also played in the NBA and coached their dad in college. Rick/Brent are 1 of 3 father/son combos to win NBA championships. Wonder if there are more future NBAers in that family.

4 have coached against their sons in NBA games. That must be weird

Joe/Kobe Bryant probably have the best combined accomplishments (mainly from Kobe)

Jabari Parker & Andrew Wiggins should be joining this list next year. Glen Robinson III possibly as well. Anyone else?

Here a recent article about NBA father/sons which gives some insight into growing up in the NBA

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/16/sports/basketball/a-generational-wealth-of-nba-talent.html?_r=0

Last edited:
The Boone family in baseball had three generations of All-Stars.

BTW, the youngest and shortest of the Barry brothers, Scooter says he can still dunk at 45 or so. Didn't Brent win the Slam Dunk Championship?

Last edited:
I figure you'll see more family connections in basketball than other sports due to height. The average height of a basketball player is much larger than the average height of a typical male, so there's a smaller pool to pick from and genetics would cause more sons to be in the range of former players

@rj - Brent did win the slam dunk title, while wearing a warm up jacket.

Funny story, I actually had lunch next to Steph Curry yesterday and talked to him for a minute. I remember playing against him in middle school because we were all pumped to see Dell Curry in stands.

Funny story, I actually had lunch next to Steph Curry yesterday and talked to him for a minute. I remember playing against him in middle school because we were all pumped to see Dell Curry in stands.

That's awesome. And I felt like a G for playing against CJ Harris in high school.

This one of the board's favorites.

MLB Ump- Shag Crawford -dad
MLB Ump- Gerry Crawford - son
NBA Ref - Board hero- Joey Crawford - son

Back