• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite bars and eateries from your days

90-94:
Mountain Fried Chicken
Bell Bros
Roses for cheap beer
Penelopes for cheap beers without id
La Carreta with women
Spring Garden (I think it was called) for $1 well drinks

91-95
Twin City for $.25 wings and underage brews
Ziggy's for bands and underage brews. It was always fun to see the staff at Ziggy's get pissed when someone actually turned 21.
Black Bear to get out of the frat scene
Spring Garden was good
Rainbow news and cafe when tight
Village Tavern with the ladies
Ryans, Pauls, Nobles when the parents came around

I'm looking at Google maps, and it looks like Reynolda Pub near the movie theater is closed. I was last there around 2000. It was basically a double-wide converted to a biker bar. There was a dog pit out back. Never saw any dog fights, but come on, you know they happened.

It was fucking boss. I'm sure they hated Wake kids coming by.

Thursday night Opera House + Tap Room

Some of my most (or maybe least) memorable nights from law school involved Thirsty Thursday at a Warthogs game, followed by $1 Yuenglings at Tap Room, followed by Opera House.

2003-2007:

Ziggy's: Old location, saw some great shows there
Brew Haha's: what a dump, but it was "our" dump
Burke Street Pub: Indescribable numbers of nights there downing cheap bearz and dodging townies

Agree and adding Black Bear, West End Opera House, Bell Brothers, Cloverdale Kitchen, and Rose's Deli

Anyone remember Rierson's? It was a meat and two over by food lion somewhere. Loved that place for a square, cheap meal. Was only around for like 18 months or so (probably 94/95).

Some of my most (or maybe least) memorable nights from law school involved Thirsty Thursday at a Warthogs game, followed by $1 Yuenglings at Tap Room, followed by Opera House.

I still get a pang every Thursday night thinking about the LITs at Opera House. Good times.

Anyone remember Rierson's? It was a meat and two over by food lion somewhere. Loved that place for a square, cheap meal. Was only around for like 18 months or so (probably 94/95).

We went there a lot. I think it closed in '98, since I didn't start until '96. Loved it. I can still remember the chicken fried steak like it was yesterday.

You didn't have thirstbusters at Tequila before the game?

Kind of surprised Penelopes isn't getting more pub. In the late 80s, that was a good place.

TJs was just incredible. I think the CHAM was the best sandwich I ever had.

I've been living in Winston for almost 3 years now and still haven't tried TJs. Need to get on that.

And that Buffalo Super Cham looks like it would be right up my ally. Wish it wasn't so far out there.

TJ's used to have locations on Silas Creek near Peter's Creek, Thruway, Country Club and Peacehaven, and one on Robinhood and Peacehaven (though some of those might have been replacements for one or the other). Basically you used to be able to get that shit anywhere.

Pos reps to those naming Rose & Thistle and Sampler's (where Rose & Thistle got their pizza cooks from, I believe).

Back