• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite Coffee/Coffee Spot

If you're talking about a french press heightening risk over other forms of coffee preparation, I'ma need a link for that.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NHF/is_5_18/ai_86649633/

"If you favor your coffee made in those elegant French press coffeepots, it may be time to switch to a filtered method. A randomized, crossover trial comparing unfiltered coffee against other beverages like water, tea, and hot chocolate showed elevated homocysteine levels in the coffee group. Homocysteine has been shown to be a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Unfiltered coffee also contains diterpenes, cholesterol-raising substances, which are removed when coffee is filtered. Your best bet would be to cultivate a taste for tea, especially green tea, which numerous studies have shown to have heart-healthy and cancer-preventing benefits. If you choose to stick with coffee, use a filtered method."

Not vouching for it, just recalled reading about this a while back.

Has anyone tried 100% Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee? You can buy it on Amazon, it's expensive, but the reviews pretty unanimously call it the best coffee they've ever had.

i had it on my honeymoon in jamaica. it is clearly the best coffee i've ever had (including fresh kona coffee on the big island).

i think it's so expensive due to hurricanes wiping out the forests. plus, there are only certain altitudes for real blue mountain coffee, beans still hand picked and sorted, etc.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NHF/is_5_18/ai_86649633/

"If you favor your coffee made in those elegant French press coffeepots, it may be time to switch to a filtered method. A randomized, crossover trial comparing unfiltered coffee against other beverages like water, tea, and hot chocolate showed elevated homocysteine levels in the coffee group. Homocysteine has been shown to be a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. Unfiltered coffee also contains diterpenes, cholesterol-raising substances, which are removed when coffee is filtered. Your best bet would be to cultivate a taste for tea, especially green tea, which numerous studies have shown to have heart-healthy and cancer-preventing benefits. If you choose to stick with coffee, use a filtered method."

Not vouching for it, just recalled reading about this a while back.

Meh. I don't think there's any convincing evidence that drinking filtered vs. unfiltered coffee is better or worse for anyone. Certainly the study you linked doesn't seem to provide an actual comparison of those two. Here's a report of a study that purportedly shows no benefit wrt homocysteine levels in drinkers of filtered vs. unfiltered coffee. Of course, neither of these coffee research studies establishes any link to actual adverse health outcomes (events).

I don't think that enjoying moderate amounts of coffee is established as a risk for any adverse health outcomes. Some evidence suggests some possible (not conclusive) benefits. Here's some information from WebMD. Now, I don't think a final answer is in. And I don't think it's likely to be as simple as "coffee is bad for you" or "coffee is good for you". But there's no good reason at this time to argue that it should be generally avoided for health reasons. Or, OTOH, its consumption especially or generally encouraged. Just enjoy it in moderation, if you like it.

Last edited:
Whoever asked earlier....I LOVE my Keurig. Makes a very hot cup of coffee, rich in flavor (with all the choices you would ever want) and easy peasy. Costs more than a Mr. Coffee cup, for sure, but way less than Starbucks. I got mine with a 30% discount at a major dept. store, and bought my daughter's on sale at Office Depot. Both way less than $100 bucks.

Have been to the jumping goat store in Helen, ga. Nice little shop with lots of variety. I'm not a coffee drinker but my parents really liked what they sampled.

I bought my Keurig at Costco for about $120 but it came with 80 KCups and the cup that lets you use ground coffee (never used it) so the maker was less than $100.

I love mine. I am the only coffee drinker in the house. It usually costs around 50 cents per cup. Ready in 30 seconds. It is plenty hot for me. No cleanup necessary.

Last edited:
Bumping this back to the top for some coffee talk.

I've become really interested in grinding my own coffee for a french press - the quality is so much higher than electric drip or keurig coffee. Two of my current favorites are:

51jj801zmbL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

photo-6.jpg

I'm a n00b, but how do french presses work?

Think of it like making coffee like you make tea.

You have coarser grounds and pour your hot water into the press with the plunger up and let it steep. When you're ready to drink, push the plunger (trapping the grounds under the mesh) and you have a tasty beverage.

Ok perfect. HTTD explained it to me in similar terms via the GChat.

ETA: Thank you too!

Counter Culture is pretty dece, but here's an interesting article about how they have a stranglehold on DC's coffee scene:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/...ole-how-counter-culture-took-over-d-c-coffee/

of the two shops in my hood I frequent the most, one is a CC shop and the other isn't. the CC shop is one of those pour over filter shops and they're iced coffee was cited by Food and Wine as some of the best in the country, but the other shop I like because it has a warmer atmosphere and sometimes I think the coffee is better.

I went from a K-cup office to a Flavia office.

I'd rather drink from the water fountain than the Flavia coffee. UGH.

Plus K-cup coffee is easy to make into iced coffee.

If all you drink is french press coffee, be sure to keep an eye on that cholesterol...

Back