• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite (easy) Recipe

does anybody have a recipe for pumpkin (doesn't even really need to be easy) that's NOT for pie/other desserts or bread? for friends-giving i was asked to bring something pumpkin-y, but then told that we have more than enough desserts. i can do bread if i have to, but a friend of mine is already doing pumpkin bread and i'd like to do something different. ideas?

Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies

spice cake mix,
1 can pumpkin,
choc chips

Mix above and put on cookie sheet

350 degrees for 18-20 mins

absolutely delicious.

So I think I'm going to make the following sweet potato recipe for T-giving, but I bought some broccoli at the farmer's market and want to try to do something with it to (maybe a casserole take on cheese and broccoli?):

I'm thinking I'll make the cheese sauce I use for mac-n-cheese (melt butter, add flour, then milk, and finally melt cheddar cheese in it), pour it over some steamed broccoli, and then top with some crunchiness (probably home-made breadcrumbs?). Has anyone done anything like that or have any wisdom to impart on it? Should I add onions/mushrooms or just broccoli and cheese-sauce? God, I love Thanksgiving, but I wish I got to do the turkey and stuffing (the two parts I have the most ideas about).

We just had a broccoli/cheese casserole type thing on Sunday. I think there was ricotta & maybe some cheddar, broccoli, and then ritz crackers on top.

does anybody have a recipe for pumpkin (doesn't even really need to be easy) that's NOT for pie/other desserts or bread? for friends-giving i was asked to bring something pumpkin-y, but then told that we have more than enough desserts. i can do bread if i have to, but a friend of mine is already doing pumpkin bread and i'd like to do something different. ideas?

Pumpkin dip. I will google and find the recipe. Use it with apples, pears, zucchini bread, ginger snaps, etc. We always have this as an appetizer every Thanksgiving and Christmas. It only takes about 15 minutes to make. Make it the night before.

Ingredients

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Beat in the pumpkin, sour cream, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and ginger until blended. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 4 cups.

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 64 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 23 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.

Also, there is pumpkin butter that you can make and then spread on yeast rolls.

Last edited:
Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Cookies

spice cake mix,
1 can pumpkin,
choc chips

Mix above and put on cookie sheet

350 degrees for 18-20 mins

absolutely delicious.
I make these every year, but I think the OP wanted non dessert recipes

Red skin Potato Salad
- I omitted celery because I dislike it..

2lbs scrubbed new red potatoes
2c mayo
1 onion chopped
6 hardboiled eggs
salt/pepper

boil potatoes in water with salt for 15 minutes - chill in refrigerator afterwards
mix chopped hardboiled eggs, mayo, chopped onion and chopped potatoes in large bowl. salt and pepper to taste. chill in the refrigerator.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I usually don't measure out the ingredients, so the amounts listed are my rough estimates (evident by some of the units of measurement I used :tard:). You can change them at your discretion.

Turkey Burgers

Ingredients:
1.5 pounds of ground turkey
2 tbsp. of diced onion (or occasionally I use onion powder)
5-6 squirts of brown mustard
4-5 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
4-5 dashes of Texas Pete (optional)
Parsley
Fresh ground pepper

Directions:
Mix all the ingredients together into a large bowl. Form the mixture into 5-6 patties and place them into a frying pan. Turn the stovetop burner onto medium heat and flip the patties occasionally until they are to your liking. I usually throw some sliced mozzarella cheese onto each one. Let cool and serve!

I usually just eat them without bread. They go pretty good with black beans!

Since it's Thanksgiving, my go-to dish: Cranberry Sauce

1 12 oz sack of Cranberries
1 cup of water (or orange juice if you want some different flavors)
1 cup of sugar

Dissolve the sugar in the water and bring to a boil. Add the cranberries and let it simmer until the cranberries are all popped and a lot of the liquid is reduced down (~10-15 mins). Take it off the heat and it will congeal as it cools down to room temperature. After it's cool you can refrigerate it.

I promise you that you will never buy canned cranberry sauce again.

1. Coat a single serving salmon filet with olive oil
2. Sprinkle on Old Bay and red pepper
3. Broil in toaster over for 8 to 10 minutes
4. Squirt on some lemon juice, and enjoy with whatever sides

Here's a delicious dessert recipe that yall will love. It's a guaranteed success, everyone loves it. So easy to make too.

2 small boxes instant French Vanilla pudding mix (only works with instant pudding)
1 box graham crackers
3 cups milk
1 large container cool whip – needs to thaw in fridge overnight before you make cake
1 container chocolate frosting (I usually get milk chocolate but any version will do)
1 9x12 pan

Assemble as follows:

Line bottom of pan with layer of graham crackers. In large bowl ( you’ll need a pretty big mixing bowl), combine pudding mixes and milk. Stir until smooth and then let sit for 5 minutes. Blend in cool whip until consistent color. Don’t beat it in, fold in gently. Pour ½ pudding mix over graham crackers. Lay down another layer of graham crackers. Pour on remaining pudding mixture. Top with layer of graham crackers. Cover and refrigerate overnight. A couple of hours before serving, warm frosting so it’s pourable and spread over cake.
I have had several people rave about this. We are trying it on Friday.

because I can never remember... whoever first brought up www.annies-eats.net... terribly sad post for Thanksgiving :(

Just a reminder to appreciate the time we all have with those we love.

Turkey on the grill..
Cut a turkey breast off the bone. You will get two large pieces, two tenderloins and some niblet pieces.
Ten pounds of charcoal in your Weber grill, spread when white, you want a medium heat.
In a sauce pan combine 2 sticks butter, 2/3 cups of apple cidar vinegar, 2/3 cups L&P Worchester and 8 tablespoons brown sugar, bring to a boil. This is your basting sauce.
Score the turkey breast on both sides, put on grill and bast. Grill with cover on 10-12 minutes, bast and turn and bast.
Grill around 8-11 minutes, remove from grill.
Meanwhile boil remaoning bast.
Slice turkey and pour bast over. Serve with mashed potatoes.

Bump...my mom just gave me her old crockpot. I've never cooked w/one. Easy and tasty recipe ideas please....

We just made faux-b-q chicken, 2-4 chicken breasts, jar of bbq sauce, some franks hot sauce, 1 chopped up onion and some vinegar, let cook on low all day (use spoon to shred up chicken as it cooks)...easy and tasty

1C crab
1C mayo
1C cheddar
Heat in double-boiler until cheese melts. Salt an pepper to taste. Eat with chips.

Just made in the crock pot today...

Chicken and Dumplings...

1 package chicken breasts
2 tablespoons butter
1 cream of chicken
1 cream of mushroom
chicken broth
diced onion
1 package of biscuits
seasoned salt and pepper
cumin
parsley

put chicken, diced onion, cream of chicken and mushroom, butter, and enough chicken broth to cover chicken. add as much seasoned salt and pepper, cumin, and parsley as you feel good with. cook on low for 4-5 hours. shred chicken and put back in slow cooker. break biscuits (non-cooked) into pieces and put into slow cooker. we cooked it for around another hour or so.

pretty easy and tasty.

Just posted this on the girl thread, but it totally fits in here too:

I made Sausage Balls as an appetizer for my first Christmas with the in-laws (and extended family) yesterday and they were a HUGE hit. And so simple.

We had them for pretty much every church potluck growing up and my mom made them every now and then. They are technically for breakfast, but I think work well as an app too.

Sausage Balls:
1 lb Jimmy Dean pork sausage
8oz grated sharp cheddar cheese
2.5-3 c Bisquick

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Form small balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 min at 375.

So good. So simple. Pretty cheap. Not so healthy, but it's the holidays!

Just posted this on the girl thread, but it totally fits in here too:

I made Sausage Balls as an appetizer for my first Christmas with the in-laws (and extended family) yesterday and they were a HUGE hit. And so simple.

We had them for pretty much every church potluck growing up and my mom made them every now and then. They are technically for breakfast, but I think work well as an app too.

Sausage Balls:
1 lb Jimmy Dean pork sausage
8oz grated sharp cheddar cheese
2.5-3 c Bisquick

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Form small balls and place on cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 min at 375.

So good. So simple. Pretty cheap. Not so healthy, but it's the holidays!

I have a friend who makes these by the hundreds. I could eat them non-stop until my heart gave out. So tasty.

Reposting from the CT in case others are interested. Made this a couple times during the holidays and it is incredibly delicious.

Ingredients

1 apple
2 teaspoons whole cloves
1 orange, thinly sliced
2 quarts apple cider
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon allspice
Pinch grated nutmeg
1 cup dark rum
Cinnamon sticks, garnish

Directions

Stud the apple with the cloves. In a medium pot, combine the studded apple and remaining ingredients except the rum. Slowly bring to a simmer over low heat. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the rum. Discard the apple. Ladle into mugs and garnish each with a cinnamon stick. Serve immediately.

Back