• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite paintings/drawings/photography/sculptures (visual art thread)

I don't have a healthy appreciation for art, but I tend to gravitate toward personally pleasing aesthetics. I do have photographs that I like for a variety of reasons.

Gandhi_spinning_wheel.jpeg

nelson_mandela_return_to_cell.jpg

index.jpg

I had all three of those images on posters throughout college. They are my favorite depictions of my favorite people.

Golden-Rule_web.jpg

The Golden Rule is probably my favorite piece of art, I guess. It probably has more to do with subject matter.

I'm too ADD to really take in artwork. There are few times I have found myself really analyzing and soaking in art. All o those times usually involved some rustic folk art or furniture.

I remember liking Velasquez:

velazquez.meninas.jpg

I like this one too, something about that dog and that creepy little girl. Also note the dwarf woman. I'm pretty sure this one goes on tour from time to time and I saw it in London or Paris.

Last edited:
I go to a lot of museums, I look at art, and like it for the same reasons everyone likes them. Anyway, saw this at the Getty last year and loved it. This cat looks exactly like my cat, and much like my cat, this bitch has her kitty wearing a collar of bells. Probably because kitty is always under her foot like mine, they live in a castle and she can't avoid kicking her cat. Just like me! And then the woman got a collar to match her cat's. YOU GUYS ITS LIKE ME AND MY KITTY 400 YEARS AGO.
Magdaleine Pinceloup de la Grange, née de Parseval by Jean-Baptiste Perronneau
00086601.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Rothko pick, chupe.

Yeah, I dig Rothko. The Seagrams Murals ("I hope to paint something that will ruin the appetite of every son of a bitch who ever eats in that room."), the Chapel, this...

untitled_1969.jpg

Nice Rothko pick, chupe.

Also love the first one phan posted.

Tbolt, you get a chance to see Guernica?

Pairs well with T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land

Yeah, i loved seeing Guernica. The lighting in the room in the Reina Sofia really highlights portions of it. That thing is massive! After studying it and seeing it in textbooks as a smaller picture, the actual painting is ridiculous. I think I was more prepared for that one than las Meninas though b/c there's a whole room just for that painting. For Las Meninas, where it is at the Prado,you just turn a corner and there it is taking up the wall in front of you and it takes your breathe away.

I can't say that I like Goya, but his paintings are very striking.

439px-Courtyard_with_Lunatics_by_Goya_1794.jpg

326px-Francisco_de_Goya%2C_Saturno_devorando_a_su_hijo_%281819-1823%29.jpg

That first Dali is remarkably similar in composition to Goya's 5th of May, I just realized.

Love me some Guernica and Sistine Chapel Ceiling, and anything by Ansel Adams. I remember taking a freshmen seminar on documentaries and being struck by how Migrant Mother documented the hardships of the Great Depression. The women in the picture, Florence, is only 32 years old.

Lange-Migrant-Mother-corr.jpg

Last edited:
Others have already posted some of my favorites: Christina's World by Andrew Wyeth and Sunday Afternoon etc. by Seurat.

So I'll add "Two Girls at the Piano" by Renoir:

renoir-two-girls-at-the-piano.jpg

and Botticelli's "Birth of Venus":

800px-Sandro_Botticelli_-_La_nascita_di_Venere_-_Google_Art_Project.jpg

Back