• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Favorite single play of All Time for you

TARDAWG

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
So what is the favorite play that stands out in your mind when you reflect back on the greatest sports play you ever watched, either live or on TV. Let’s not list personal accomplishments of H.S. teams, but a play that other board members can recognize in one short phrase and not a lot of description.

Not going to be popular here, but:

“Jordan from 19 feet"

Was too young for the Childress game to have any big memory.

So I'll go with: "Smith with three.....HITS IT!"

The crazy play that ended up with Rudd draining a jumper with a couple of seconds left to send the Depaul 1984 game to OT.

Steve Smith catching that long TD against the Rams in the playoffs

From the 2006 season:

Idlette getting the first down to seal the ACC title is a big one

gibsonx.jpg

Kirk Gibson, 1988. Home run in the bottom of the ninth off Eckersley to win the game. He hobbled around the bases. More memorable because Vin Scully was calling the series.

Brett Hull Stanley Cup winning goal.

The subsequent street celebration was so awesome. Bars staying open after closing time. My favorite sports night ever.

Idlette's catch in the 4th quarter to get is into FG range

at the 2:00 mark

I remember several from the 2006 WF Football Season including the Idlette run listed above and the Idlette catch to set up our last field goal in that same game.

Phonz's interception return to spark the rally against MD in 2007 is probably the play that sticks out the most that I saw in person.

For some reason I remember Josh Adams run to seal the game vs. NC State in 2009 really well also. He broke about 6 tackles to seal that win.

Childress is first and Donovan against Algeria is a distant second.

"This is Marion- 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, he slams it into 5th gear- to the 20, to the 10, how about 81 yards!"

That Donovan goal solidified soccer as a beautiful game in my mind. Donovan coming out of nowhere from the right side of the screen to bury a blocked ball that just seemed to hang there -- I went from heartbreak to overjoyed in the span of a second. One of the greatest sports plays I've ever seen for sure.

ish's jumper against texas or gosling in the FA cup against pool

Steve smith against the Rams in 03 was the first to come to mind

For B-ball: Chill breaking McIntyre's ankles

For F-Ball: Phonz's interception return to spark the rally against MD in 2007

Ish's shot vs. Texas probably got the biggest reaction out of me.

James Johnson's bucket to beat Duke at home was one of the more memorable plays I saw live.

Back