• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

February 12th

Cool story. Thanks, BKF.

You say playing Dixie didn't stop the fight..? Better call in the National Guard.

WFU did not move to Winston until 1956. Wouldn't this game have been at Gore Gymnasium in 1955?

Wow.. Decades of thugs and we're only now beginning to fix it. No wonder Bzz needed at least 4 yrs.

If something like that happened now the season would be cancelled, players expelled, coaches reprimanded and the next times the teams got to play all the players would have to get in a circle holding hands, sing Kum BaYa before hugging each other.

I have seen a film clip of that fight and it was as BKF described.

If something like that happened now the season would be cancelled, players expelled, coaches reprimanded and the next times the teams got to play all the players would have to get in a circle holding hands, sing Kum BaYa before hugging each other.

That may be a prettier end to the season than what we are currently witnessing.

As a result of that game, ACC officials refused to let Wake Forest play its home game against Carolina in Winston-Salem the next year....moving it to Greensboro instead....where it seemed from the crowd like it was a Carolina home game.

Lol. Then we punished ourself by playing UNC in Greensboro during the 80s. Lowf.

Thanks for sharing bkf.

thanks bkf. I enjoy your history posts. One of my colleague's dad played for UNC in that game. I sent my colleague your post. He forwarded to his dad. His dad said everything you said was accurate, except, based on his memory, the original action was between Shaffer and Charlie Fort. Budd jumped Shaffer after that. He also said Jerry Steele came off of our bench throwing punches. good history given Steele's long tenure at High Point.

Sounds like a real barf-o-rama.

Stand-by-Me-Lardass-Hogan.png

Back