• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FIBA World Cup

GSOWakeFan

Cautiously Optimistic
Reaction score
Wall, Beal and Milsap were cut today. That leaves 16. Cousins, Curry, Davis, Derozan, Drummond, Durrant, Faried, Harden, Heyward, Irving, Korver, Lilliard, Parsons, Plumlee, Rose and Thompson. Final roster will have 12.

I would think this is the first time John Wall has ever been cut.

Any guesses on the final roster?

Last edited:
Wall, Beal and Milsap were cut today. That leaves 16. Cousins, Curry, Davis, Derozan, Drummond, Durrant, Faried, Harden, Heyward, Irving, Korver, Lilliard, Love, Parsons, Rose and Thompson. Final roster will have 12.

I would think this is the first time John Wall has ever been cut.

Any guesses on the final roster?

If it's my team, then I cut DeRozan, Faried, Irving, and Korver. DeRozan isn't going to be very effective in international play, IMO. Faried can't really space the floor. Korver can shoot, but that's about it (and there are already good shooters on the roster). And Irving just isn't as suited to international play as Curry and Lillard, and isn't worth burning the USMNT bridge with Rose.

PG: Rose/Curry/Lillard
SG: Thompson/Harden
SF: Durant/Parsons/Hayward
PF: Love/Davis
C: Cousins/Drummond

I dig this roster because the bigs can all space the floor and there are a few different possibilities for small lineups. Defense is going to be a problem with a lot of different lineups, but it'll be a problem no matter what combination of guys you throw out there, IMO.

Wall, Beal and Milsap were cut today. That leaves 16. Cousins, Curry, Davis, Derozan, Drummond, Durrant, Faried, Harden, Heyward, Irving, Korver, Lilliard, Love, Parsons, Rose and Thompson. Final roster will have 12.

Love isn't on the roster, the other guy on the list is Mason Plumlee

If it's my team, then I cut DeRozan, Faried, Irving, and Korver. DeRozan isn't going to be very effective in international play, IMO. Faried can't really space the floor. Korver can shoot, but that's about it (and there are already good shooters on the roster). And Irving just isn't as suited to international play as Curry and Lillard, and isn't worth burning the USMNT bridge with Rose.

I dig this roster because the bigs can all space the floor and there are a few different possibilities for small lineups. Defense is going to be a problem with a lot of different lineups, but it'll be a problem no matter what combination of guys you throw out there, IMO.

From what I've been reading, it is more likely that we go small and Durant plays PF and Davis plays C.

Love is not on the roster. I don't think K will keep Drummond and Cousins. I think he will keep Plumlee.

Hayward, Drummond, Derozan and Lillard will get cut. Possible Boogie for Lillard swap, but I think they want boogie for the Gasol's.

These three are defs gonna be cut: Plumlee, Faried, Derozan. The last spot is then between Parsons/Lilliard/Korver/Drummond. I think Drummond makes it because they need 3 legit bigs to match up with the Gasols/Ibaka. I imagine they will keep Korver for shooting which basically means Parsons/Lillard. Depends on whether they want Parsons for some wing size/passing or Lillard's playmaking. I think Lillard will be out because of the strength of the PG position.

Actually I think Ibaka's injured, still think the US needs 3 real bigs for Spain.

Would not be surprised to see Korver make it. While not among the top overall NBA players, he has a skill (consistently hitting the 3) that will help versus teams that try to sag on defense to protect against drives to the rim.

I think Love is not on the roster because he declined the offer while the trade for Wiggins was being negotiated. He did not want to screw up the trade by getting injured (smart given events). It was not clear to me if he could or would change his mind once the trade was done (which it may be on a handshake basis).

In international play, a line-up of D. Rose--K. Thompson--P. George--K. Durant--K. Love would have been fun to watch.

Would not be surprised to see Korver make it. While not among the top overall NBA players, he has a skill (consistently hitting the 3) that will help versus teams that try to sag on defense to protect against drives to the rim.

Yeah, but guys like Steph, Klay, and Dame can give you more offense in addition to elite perimeter shooting.

2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Schedule

Aug. 30
USA-Finland
Bizkaia Arena
Bilbao, Spain
3:30 p.m., ESPN

Aug. 31
Turkey-USA
Bizkaia Arena
Bilbao, Spain
3:30 p.m., ESPN

Sept. 2