• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Field Hockey

deacdixieboy

Reaction score
Best team I can remember in a while. #2 seed in ACCT and won our first round game against Duke today. Play again tomorrow.

Averill was named COY as well. Crazy that she's been there since before I started at Wake.
I had actually been curious if she was close to forced retirement given their performance over the last few years but glad to see them playing well again.

No magic formula. She had bad players for a few years and now she has some good ones.

I had actually been curious if she was close to forced retirement given their performance over the last few years but glad to see them playing well again.

Averill's not even close to retirement age. She's maybe a few years older than Clawson.

WF plays UVA at 3:30 today on ACCN in the ACC Semis. WF beat UVA 1-0 earlier in the season.

FWIW, Averill is in her late 50s and has been coaching WF FH for 31 years. She can retire whenever she wants. Hope its not for a long time.

Turned this on when I got home today. Deacs blew a 2-0 lead and lost 3-2 in OT. Ugh.

Turned this on when I got home today. Deacs blew a 2-0 lead and lost 3-2 in OT. Ugh.
I turned it on just to see OT and it was very Wake Forest. I don’t understand the sport - can you not D people up with your stick like in lax or hockey? They just let the winger waltz in and chip the pass to the other girl (who was unmarked for some reason). Strange.

Best team I can remember in a while. #2 seed in ACCT and won our first round game against Duke today. Play again tomorrow.
Final Four in 2018. Very good team. Couldn't beat UNC. They were a machine. Deacs were 0-3 against them that year. Lost in regular season, ACC Championship and Final Four

Are we still a national power in field hockey or have we slipped into the very good range?

The problem is that UNC-CH is just dominant right now. They've won the past 5 ACC Tournaments and 3 out of the last 4 NCAA Championships.

It's just kind of a weird NCAA sport. There aren't that many teams. Is the tournament still only 24?

Oh wow, even weirder. And there are only 79 D1 schools with teams.

The tournament originally began with six teams but has since expanded to 19; at different times a third-place game has been played as well. Under the tournament's current format, 19 teams qualify for the tournament with three play-in games.

Yeah I mean the ACC consistently has every team ranked. Even with only 79 teams that seems impressive.

Is our season over or do we get a tourney invite based on season record?

We finished second in the second toughest conference and 18 teams make it (Big 10 has four of the top six in the RPI). We are the 14th rated RPI team. Should probably be in but I have no idea how the selection process really plays out. There are 10 automatic bids and 8 at large - a lot of Big 10 teams plus ACC teams ahead of us as well as one Ivy League.

I'd guess that going 5-1 in the regular season ACC carries a lot of weight. Averill seems to believe we will be in, saying "it's time to get tournament ready" in the post-game press conference yesterday.

Back