• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Finchem says USGA stance on long putters a mistake

Webb Simpson ‏@webbsimpson1 30m
My opinion of the belly putter ruling? I think/strongly feel that we (players) should have way more input into the rules than we have now

Webb Simpson ‏@webbsimpson1 28m
Playing 30 competitive tournaments a year is much different than playing twice a month. So, if our rules are slightly different than the rest, no problem at all

Webb Simpson ‏@webbsimpson1 28m
EVERY other sport has rules that differ according to level

You have to understand the yips to understand that it is an advantage to those who need it.

Long putters making putting inside 10' so much easier but in the one round I played with one, I managed to chunk/shank/double hit a 50 footer. That imagine is stuck in my brain forever.

Long putters making putting inside 10' so much easier but in the one round I played with one, I managed to chunk/shank/double hit a 50 footer. That imagine is stuck in my brain forever.

Given his propensity for shanking, I wonder if Webb has ever shanked a putt with the long putter.

In my case the long putter helps me eliminate three putts by not missing putts inside of five feet. I make fewer putts over five feet and fewer birdies, but I score better as a whole. The main thing it does is prevent me from decelerating on short putts due to the yips. This is because it is heavier and works like a pendulum. If you are a good putter, I am not sure how the long putter can help you. The belly putter is a different deal. I do not fully understand how it helps by anchoring the putter....

Actually, it is factually wrong to say things like "if anchoring was an advantage then everyone would be doing it" - at a very minimum that is the creation of a straw man. By taking this action, the USGA is not saying that it is an absolute advantage - they are saying that it may provide an advantage to some. Clearly the people doing it think it provides them an advantage.

And, this doesn't necessarily have any impact on the weekend golfer. Do weekend golfers worry about the one-ball rule? How many weekend golfers go back to the tee after losing a ball? I doubt too many weekend hackers are going to call a penalty on their playing partner for anchoring his putter...

Then everybody should play with the same clubs then, because cavity back irons might be an advantage to some, the large perimeter weighted putter heads might give an advantage to some, the adjustable weight driver might give an advantage to some. Heck for a long time the long putter was considered a disadvantage when it came to winning at places like Augusta or the US Open where the greens were typically lightning fast. With all the different variations of equipment available to the pros and casual golfers a like, banning the long putter because it may provide an advantage to some doesn't make a lot of sense.

Then everybody should play with the same clubs then, because cavity back irons might be an advantage to some, the large perimeter weighted putter heads might give an advantage to some, the adjustable weight driver might give an advantage to some. Heck for a long time the long putter was considered a disadvantage when it came to winning at places like Augusta or the US Open where the greens were typically lightning fast. With all the different variations of equipment available to the pros and casual golfers a like, banning the long putter because it may provide an advantage to some doesn't make a lot of sense.

They are not banning them because they provide an advantage to some - every equipment choice provides an advantage of some sort to someone. They are banning them because they have decided they are improper under the rules and/or spirit of the game. Whether you agree with that assessment is a different story.

They are not banning them because they provide an advantage to some - every equipment choice provides an advantage of some sort to someone. They are banning them because they have decided they are improper under the rules and/or spirit of the game. Whether you agree with that assessment is a different story.

The USGA's press conference, as well as your previous post, indicated that such logic was indeed part of the process. It isn't hard to see the argument that anchoring is against the intended spirit of the game, even for those that disagree. However, once the USGA entered into the gray "it may help some of the people, some of the time," they needlessly muddied the water on potential future issues.

The USGA's press conference, as well as your previous post, indicated that such logic was indeed part of the process. It isn't hard to see the argument that anchoring is against the intended spirit of the game, even for those that disagree. However, once the USGA entered into the gray "it may help some of the people, some of the time," they needlessly muddied the water on potential future issues.

OK, I guess I need to be completely clear - they are not banning them only because they provide an advantage - they are providing them because they provide an improper advantage.

Big-headed drivers with a huge sweet spot provide an advantage but are legal. Big-headed drivers with a huge sweet spot and a coefficient of restitution greater than 0.83 provides an advantage that has been deemed improper and thus illegal.
Modern irons provide big sweet spots and great feel and definitely provide an advantage. Modern irons with big sweet spots and great feel plus "square grooves" provide an advantage that has been deemed improper and thus illegal.

Played yesterday and tried out putting with my belly putter but not anchoring it. It actually made barely any difference whether I anchored it or not, but the trick for the tours and for amateur competitions will be that it's basically impossible to tell whether a putter is anchored or whether there's a half inch of separation. Assuming they keep the rule about having to wear a shirt, it will just be the honor system for guys who want to keep as close as possible to their original stroke.

Also will be interesting if someone comes up with a putting stoke that anchors at first but releases during the strike.

Can't remember if Kuchar is still doing it, but he was bracing the putter against the left forearm. Is that considering anchoring or is it considered a "free swing" because the arm is moving and away from the torso?

Forearm is fine. In fact Odyssey quickly released some new putters specifically designed for that type of stroke.

Played yesterday and tried out putting with my belly putter but not anchoring it. It actually made barely any difference whether I anchored it or not, but the trick for the tours and for amateur competitions will be that it's basically impossible to tell whether a putter is anchored or whether there's a half inch of separation. Assuming they keep the rule about having to wear a shirt, it will just be the honor system for guys who want to keep as close as possible to their original stroke.

Also will be interesting if someone comes up with a putting stoke that anchors at first but releases during the strike.

Adam Scott shirtless. MMMMMMHMMMMMM.

Back