• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Finding Carter

ChrisPaul3

Reaction score
Can't believe there's not a thread about this show. Best pilot I've seen since Charles fucking Lindbergh. Finally, a show that gets it right about kidnapping. Kidnappers are people just like us, dudes. And they love kids just like parents do. If anything, they love them more because they love them enough to steal them. All parents do is fuck each other, right lol? It sucks that my dad just wanted to get his dick wet instead of trying to steal me from some other dude. That's the point of this show and I'm glad MTV stepped up and made it.

Also, a lot of people think that a mother who gets a child kidnapped from her is a victim. BUT THAT IS BULLSHIT. SHE IS A BITCH. WHY DO YOU THINK THEY KIDNAPPED THE KID???? BECAUSE THEY KNOW SHE SUCKS.

Do I believe in true love? Of course, I married a homeless woman. But here's the real question: Did OJ Simpson believe in true love? And that's what Finding Carter tried to answer. So please, my friends, watch it.

Here's another question that Finding Carter poses subtextually: What if John Wilkes Booth was just in love with Mary Todd? What if he never had any opinion on slavery? He just hated that this tall, weird looking, bearded guy was keeping him from his baby?

Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, The Wire, these were good shows, no question. And congratulations if you watched them, you are a true 21st century intellectual. But those shows just set the table. If you skip Finding Carter, you're missing out on the feast...

Mad Men told us how we got this way. The Wire and The Sopranos told us what we really are, underneath it all. Breaking Bad tells us what any of us could become... But Finding Carter goes even further. It tells us where we're going. As a planet, as a generation, as a species. It tells us what our lives really mean.

That matters to me. Does it matter to everyone? We'll find out. I didn't know Dickens well, I never even met Shakespeare, Twain was just an acquaintance, but what I do know is Finding Carter. This is my Hamlet. This is my Finn. This is my Scrooge. And I'm smart enough to realize it from the jump. Sorry if I care too much. Sorry for trying to let you people into history. But don't say I didn't warn you.

How does it feel to not matter to anyone? Ever wonder that? Or even worse, ever feel that? Well, that's what happens to Carter's brother. He's just an ugly little kid who's only born to replace his kidnapped, probably dead sister. His parents don't give a fuck about him and the whole family openly discusses it. That sound like something to dismiss? Something to mock? Or does that sound like literature?

Love this Sepinwall review of Finding Carter:

I've been reviewing television for 25 years now. I love my job, but getting sucked into fiction can be a burden. TV very rarely feels like life. Even the most beautiful shows feel like artwork, not perfect reflections of humanity. But Finding Carter is different. Finding Carter feels like life. It doesn't make me want to watch another episode, it makes me want to kiss my mother, hug my father, make love to my wife. It makes reviewing feel unnecessary and life feel hypnotizing. This is the show of my lifetime. And frankly, that may be underselling it. Don't watch this show because I recommended it. Watch it because it will improve your life.

People act like Jesus was some stooge and Darwin knew it all....

And maybe I even thought that for a time...

Maybe I still do. I don't know....

What are we doing here?...

That's the point though, right? That's why we watch shows like this....

Amen. Good luck. Peace and love...

Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Sopranos, The Wire, these were good shows, no question. And congratulations if you watched them, you are a true 21st century intellectual. But those shows just set the table. If you skip Finding Carter, you're missing out on the feast...

Mad Men told us how we got this way. The Wire and The Sopranos told us what we really are, underneath it all. Breaking Bad tells us what any of us could become... But Finding Carter goes even further. It tells us where we're going. As a planet, as a generation, as a species. It tells us what our lives really mean.

That matters to me. Does it matter to everyone? We'll find out. I didn't know Dickens well, I never even met Shakespeare, Twain was just an acquaintance, but what I do know is Finding Carter. This is my Hamlet. This is my Finn. This is my Scrooge. And I'm smart enough to realize it from the jump. Sorry if I care too much. Sorry for trying to let you people into history. But don't say I didn't warn you.

This is a pitch Don Draper himself would be proud of.

Back