• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Finland 🇫🇮 to end its universal basic income program by year’s end

It was an experiment, not a national government program. There were only 2000 people receiving money, and they were chosen randomly.

I hope they follow-up with the findings. I'd be interested to see exactly why they are ending it, and what people actually did with the money. I'm not even sure where I side in this argument. In my experience, a lot of people who are lazy confuse themselves with those who never caught a break, or are victims of the system. My gut is to say that while even the majority of these people may be lazy, it's worth over spending to provide an equal opportunity to even a smaller percentage of people who are truly trying to break free of their restraints (be them systematic or otherwise). I'm sure there is plenty of math to be done and a lot of economic factors that went into the study, so I'm glad Fox News took the time to write 300 words on it.

Last edited:
I think there's a similar percentage of people who think they're successful because of hard work when really they just caught breaks and benefited from the system.
However, I think it is worth recognizing the difference between lazy and simply giving in because the system has beat you down enough after you've watched the people in the sentence above being more successful than you when you've given equal or more effort.

I'd say continue to study it- at some point the robots will do all the jobs so we'll need one

Back