• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fire Him

ok the wake website said10486. next time you do a damn head count, a..hole.

Or just use some deductive reasoning and conclude that the only way that there was be 10,500 there was if the bottom was jammed pack and the top was 50% full.

Was it that crowded?

whoa whoa whoa......

The wake website is god and could never fudge numbers!!!!

Those attendance figures are counting people who had tickets and just said "meh... fuck it..."

Also probably counted all the students tickets that weren't used....

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts. while i was not there, this was evident from TV: Looking closely at the seats during the telecast, it was evident that essentially no seats were filled in the upper end areas, and very, very few in the upper middle sections.... perhaps a few hundred at best. Down below, one end was rather full but certainly not the other end.... and it was clear that seats of one lower side, at least, were vacant. While empty black seats are hard to tell from black t's, the black seats had some sort of white square or reflection on the seat back, making identification much easier. SInce the Joel seats something over 14k, there is no way 10.5k were at the game. There is no way more than 6-8k were in attendance regardless of season ticket sales (which wont be as large next season with Buzz)

So if he is fired, what will be Wake's overall financial obligations. Looking back at the firing of Gaudio, he had been given a contract extension through 2013-2014 and fired not long afterwards. So I assume Wake is obligated to continuing paying him pay up towards a million next season. So is this year the last of Buzz's contract or is there one more year? I understood there was one more year, but cant find proof ot that. If so if he is fired this year, Wake could have three contract payments next year. I hope I am wrong somewhere on this, but if true, I'm not sure Buzz would be fired for this financial reason alone. It would for sure make Welman look pretty bad to the trustees.

Dino's deal wraps up this season I believe, and we've been led to believe that Bz has two more years after this one.

So if he is fired, what will be Wake's overall financial obligations. Looking back at the firing of Gaudio, he had been given a contract extension through 2013-2014 and fired not long afterwards. So I assume Wake is obligated to continuing paying him pay up towards a million next season. So is this year the last of Buzz's contract or is there one more year? I understood there was one more year, but cant find proof ot that. If so if he is fired this year, Wake could have three contract payments next year. I hope I am wrong somewhere on this, but if true, I'm not sure Buzz would be fired for this financial reason alone. It would for sure make Welman look pretty bad to the trustees.

Your assumption is likely wrong. Contracts have buy-out clauses. There's almost no way that we would owe any coach the full amount of his contract if we fired him. If anyone in our AD had any sense (they don't), they would have been able to negotiate a buy-out for Bz of a bus ticket, a pack of gum and $100 spending money for his trip out of town.

The general consensus is that we're done with Dino after this year (and it's not the full contract amount). We assume Bz has a 5 year contract but no one has any idea what he buyout looks like. Between all of the new TV money coming in from the 2 recent expansions and the new football playoff, we have way more than enough money to pay off Bz and hire a real coach. The increased ticket sales and DC donations from a new coach alone would make up a big portion of it.

Correct, just not as good as we usually play.

And it's still loaded down with a lot of sub 100 teams. Just "better" sub 100 teams than we played last year, if there is such a thing.

Your assumption is likely wrong. Contracts have buy-out clauses. There's almost no way that we would owe any coach the full amount of his contract if we fired him. If anyone in our AD had any sense (they don't), they would have been able to negotiate a buy-out for Bz of a bus ticket, a pack of gum and $100 spending money for his trip out of town.

The general consensus is that we're done with Dino after this year (and it's not the full contract amount). We assume Bz has a 5 year contract but no one has any idea what he buyout looks like. Between all of the new TV money coming in from the 2 recent expansions and the new football playoff, we have way more than enough money to pay off Bz and hire a real coach. The increased ticket sales and DC donations from a new coach alone would make up a big portion of it.

Appreciate the insight.... however the Gaudio firing article said this : Wake Forest will be paying a pair of men's basketball coaches this season. Gaudio was fired a week ago, six months after his contract was extended through 2013-14. In discussing the firing, Wellman said the buyout clause in the ex-coach's deal "will be honored, most definitely." Terms were not disclosed.

Maybe I miss something but isnt 2013-2014 the new upcoming season... not ending this year? If so there could be 3 coaches payments of some amount involved.. possibly meaning that Welman is in even more of a jam than usual.... thereby causing him to not fire.

Appreciate the insight.... however the Gaudio firing article said this : Wake Forest will be paying a pair of men's basketball coaches this season. Gaudio was fired a week ago, six months after his contract was extended through 2013-14. In discussing the firing, Wellman said the buyout clause in the ex-coach's deal "will be honored, most definitely." Terms were not disclosed.

Maybe I miss something but isnt 2013-2014 the new upcoming season... not ending this year? If so there could be 3 coaches payments of some amount involved.. possibly meaning that Welman is in even more of a jam than usual.... thereby causing him to not fire.

I believe what you may be missing is the distinction between contract length and the buyout clause. They are not one and the same.

The contract was extended through next season, sure. But he was fired, so we're only on the hook for the buy-out clause portion of the contract. The buy-out clause doesn't have to be for the full length of the contract. The contract states what he will be paid if he is employed for those years. The buy-out clause of the contract states what he will be paid, and for how long, should he be let go before the contract is up. There's no requirement that they be the same amount of $$ or amount of time. Enough reputable people have posted that we're done with Dino's buyout after this season that I tend to believe it at this point.

In theory, we could give a coach a 10 year contract for $2 million/year with a buyout of $1.50/year and a Snickers for 3 years. If we fired the coach after the first season, we'd only owe him $1.50 and a snickers a year over the next 3 years even though the contract term had 9 more years left on it. In most cases, the buyout term and $$ is stepped up/down depending on how early within the contract term a coach is fired.

Last edited:
http://images.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/coaches_contracts/pdfs/south_carolina_fb.pdf

Steve Spurrier's contract with South Carolina is linked above. His buyout clause is section 12.02 (termination without cause). The buyout is $250k per year remaining on the contract paid as a lump sum within 90 days. His base salary was $250k per year at the time, but he also got like $1.5 million in guaranteed extra pay from the University each year. So the university would not have to pay those things.

*Not current as he gets $3.5 million. No clue the current buy out clause terms.

Last edited:
Instead of chanting "wake/forest" the crowd should chant "buzz/out"

You are entitled to your own opinion, but not to your own facts. while i was not there, this was evident from TV: Looking closely at the seats during the telecast, it was evident that essentially no seats were filled in the upper end areas, and very, very few in the upper middle sections.... perhaps a few hundred at best. Down below, one end was rather full but certainly not the other end.... and it was clear that seats of one lower side, at least, were vacant. While empty black seats are hard to tell from black t's, the black seats had some sort of white square or reflection on the seat back, making identification much easier. SInce the Joel seats something over 14k, there is no way 10.5k were at the game. There is no way more than 6-8k were in attendance regardless of season ticket sales (which wont be as large next season with Buzz)

I sat in the student section for the GT game and was surprised at the number of people there. It was actually staff appreciation day so there was a good number of people in the upper levels, despite what can or cannot be seen in the pic especially at halfcourt. The lower level was pretty full. I'm not sure what the capacity of the lower level is, but hopefully this will satisfy someone's argument about attendance. And here's a pic for your viewing pleasure.
480167_10151425438993251_544270640_n.jpg

A lot more empty seats there than I would expect for a Saturday afternoon ACC game in February. Remember how the Joel used to rock for every ACC home game? The state of our basketball program is just sad and should be unacceptable to the vast majority of fans.

I can tell from that picture alone that attendance was closer to 8k. The lower level seats 6.5k at maximum cap, and I can see 3 or 4 hundred empty seats in 112,113, and 114 in this photo, and you include probably 2 or 3 hundred other empty random lowers, that puts us at 59 hundred, and then you've probably got 15 hundred, 2 thousand up top. Makes 8 thousand.

Pretty much the only reason I check these boards is on the hope that today will be the day [Redacted] is fired.

I can get my Rain Man on and tell you that attendance was closer to 8k, just by looking at that picture. The lower level seats 6.5k at maximum cap, and I can see 3 or 4 hundred empty seats in 112,113, and 114, and you there's probably 2 hundred other empty random lowers spread out, that puts us at 59 hundred, and then you've probably got 15 hundred, maybe 2 thousand up top. Makes 8 thousand.

I can get my Rain Man on and tell you that attendance was closer to 8k, just by looking at that picture. The lower level seats 6.5k at maximum cap, and I can see 3 or 4 hundred empty seats in 112,113, and 114, and you there's probably 2 hundred other empty random lowers spread out, that puts us at 59 hundred, and then you've probably got 15 hundred, maybe 2 thousand up top. Makes 8 thousand.

Personally I think 8k is a stretch .... zooming in on the photo you can clearly see the empty seats that show as black. My only point is to to clarify what the attendance truly was... heck 10k+ sounds like Duke's football announced attendance numbers.

And if staff appreciation day.... well then, that explains the number as high as even 8k. So they got in free and sat in otherwise empty seats ???

Pretty much the only reason I check these boards is on the hope that today will be the day [Redacted] is fired.

Yep- and I check the ESPN bottomline ticker daily for the same breaking news as well! Our day will soon come! March 7, 2013.

Back