• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Fire Hooks!!!"

DownEastDeac

Reaction score
Reading a few mentions of the 66 point explosion vs. UVA in 1975 brought back a memory:
Any of you mid-70's guys remember the fan (I think it was a student) who during any quiet moment in a football (there were lots of those) or basketball game would stand up and holler "Fire Hooks!!!"? That was in reference to athletic director Gene Hooks; not sure what the guy's beef was other than the fact that other than golf and a decent basketball program we pretty much stunk at everything else.

I knew him. He had a "misunderstanding" with some Athletic Dept. people during a basketball game and turned it into a personal vendetta against Dr. Hooks. He held the grudge for many years!

The guy was right. Smug Ronnie is a huge upgrade.

Reading a few mentions of the 66 point explosion vs. UVA in 1975 brought back a memory:
Any of you mid-70's guys remember the fan (I think it was a student) who during any quiet moment in a football (there were lots of those) or basketball game would stand up and holler "Fire Hooks!!!"? That was in reference to athletic director Gene Hooks; not sure what the guy's beef was other than the fact that other than golf and a decent basketball program we pretty much stunk at everything else.

I was at the UVa-Wake game in 1975 when we beat them 66-21 [I think] and we led 50-7 at the half. Drunk UVa students were screaming for us to score 100 on Sonny's Boys but Chuck shut it down and just ran the ball. The start of the game is what was totally weird & great for us--We kicked off & UVa ran it out of the end zone to about the 2 while muffing it at the same time without being hit. The ball did a slow roll backwards into the end zone where we recovered for a 7-0 lead. Second possession, Bill Armstrong hit the receiver so hard the ball popped straight up in the air and I believe it was Ed McDonald who caught it in stride for a pick-6. We led 14-0 before 2 minutes had been played or even had the ball on offense yet.

We learned later that UVa coach Sonny Randle had told his players that morning that he & his wife were divorcing. Team took it hard and played awful. That game was one of the highlights of the Chuck Mills era.

Back