• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fire the OC

I agree that Armstrong is a threat to take the ball to the house, but there is always a holding call. The special teams are poorly coached. Whether it is blocking for a punt, setting up a return, rushing the kicker or placekicker. Just hold my breath on every punt. Changes need to be made

Here are some comparable stats from last year to now:

2015 Rush Avg Per Game: 105.2 Pass Avg Per Game: 228.2 Total: 333.4
2016 Rush Avg Per Game: 147.3 Pass Avg Per Game: 161.3 Total: 308.6

This begs the question has the O line really improved or rather, regressed?

I for one think the O is way uglier and actually impotent right now. Can't see how we win against any bowl opponent. We will need a UVa type game vs BC to beat them, IMO. (i.e. D will have to win the game for us)

I said it in August, Tabbacca will be the fall guy. To follow up on Ph's post, it's been one second half Offensive TD in the last six games. I see BC as a FG fest.

The drop in passing yards is more surprising than the increase in rushing yards. The same QB for the past 3 years (basically), improved OL, and these ever improving WRs (according to Claw preseason). We lost virtually no one last year, inexcusable.

Can't make a one to one comparison of rush yards to pass yards. If a team runs the ball more often, they run more clock because the clock doesn't stop on rushing plays, but it stops with every incompletion; so, there will be fewer snaps on offense (and also fewer snaps to defend against on defense) when a team runs more/better than in the past. Teams with better running attacks generally have better defenses than teams that pass more often because the games have fewer plays, resulting in fewer opportunities for the opposing offense to score. The WF offense is better (marginally) this year because WF can run the ball at a slightly higher level, even if yards are down a tick. Also, the WF passing game has been hurt by the Seringue's lingering injury.

Not saying the offense is good or even mediocre, it's not. Even so, the offense is better than last year as it helped WF dictate game tempo against some opponents, which hasn't been the case for years.

Comparing the WF offense from last year:

OL - Improved
WR/TE - Regressed
QB - Slightly improved
RB - Improved

Overall, slight improvement, but the offense is still poor and among the bottom 1/4 in the NCAA. This is the last year that the offensive woes can be blamed, in part (with increasing responsibility on the present staff) on the roster talent that Grobe left behind.

Last edited:
Can't make a one to one comparison of rush yards to pass yards. If a team runs the ball more often, they run more clock because the clock doesn't stop on rushing plays, but it stops with every incompletion; so, there will be fewer snaps on offense (and also fewer snaps to defend against on defense) when a team runs more/better than in the past. Teams with better running attacks generally have better defenses that teams that pass more often because the games have fewer plays, resulting in fewer opportunities for the opposing offense to score. The WF offense is better (marginally) this year because WF can run the ball at a slightly higher level, even if yards a down a tick. Also, the WF passing game has been hurt by the Seringue's lingering injury.

Not saying the offense is good or even mediocre, it's not. Even so, the offense is better than last year as it helped WF dictate game tempo against some opponents, which hasn't been the case for years.

Comparing the WF offense from last year:

OL - Improved
WR/TE - Regressed
QB - Slightly improved
RB - Improved

Overall, slight improvement, but the offense is still poor and among the bottom 1/4 in the NCAA. This is the last year that the offensive woes can be blamed, in part (with increasing responsibility on the present staff) on the roster talent that Grobe left behind.

Hard to fault the receivers when we aren't throwing the ball to them.

Personally, I think this is the most talented receiving corps we've ever had as a team. One-handed grabs and taken to the house on 3 occasions last year....something no one has ever seen at Wake before...

I get your point, Pilch that we won't throw as often if we run more. But Claw is dead on when he says our WRs are not winning one-on-one matchups and I think that has a lot to do with the dip in passing yards. There are too many times I think of potential big plays with one on one matchups where we simply did not beat our man. Also, there is not THAY big of an increase in rushing to account for such a dip in passing.

Wolford is dead last in the P5 in passing efficiency rating among qualified QBs and 4th worst in the country. I get that he makes up some of it with his legs, but that is just dreadful.

With all due respect, this isn't close to among the most talented receiving corps that WF has had as a team. Caldwell had two NFL receivers in Desmond Clark, Thabiti Davis on the same team. Grobe then had two NFLers Campanaro and Givens on the same team as well, plus a ton of ridiculously fast speed guys (Jon Stone, Kevin Marion, Willie Idellette). One hand catches aside, the receiving talent on this team is not close to that.

I'd like to see Kearns the rest of the way. Absolutely no point in playing Wolford, as he certainly should not be starting next year.

We could have easily lost the Tulane game because we kept trusting our receivers to get open and make plays and they didn't. Good receivers should be able to destroy a team like Army.

I'd like to see Kearns the rest of the way. Absolutely no point in playing Wolford, as he certainly should not be starting next year.

Do you think Kearns gives us a better chance to beat BC than Wolford?

I'd put Wayne Baumgardner and Kenny Duckett up there with any on the list

Oh yeah. Phil Denfeld was on those teams too. Does anyone remember guys named Proehl? Brim? Deese? We don't have anyone with that type of talent on this team and we play Bachman at wideout for some reason.

Here are some comparable stats from last year to now:

2015 Rush Avg Per Game: 105.2 Pass Avg Per Game: 228.2 Total: 333.4
2016 Rush Avg Per Game: 147.3 Pass Avg Per Game: 161.3 Total: 308.6

This begs the question has the O line really improved or rather, regressed?

I for one think the O is way uglier and actually impotent right now. Can't see how we win against any bowl opponent. We will need a UVa type game vs BC to beat them, IMO. (i.e. D will have to win the game for us)
Efficiency statistics are a better measure than just simple counting stats. I just ran some quick numbers to see how well we're doing passing this year, compared to last.

Pretty simple formula used:

Avg. Yards Gained/Pass Play = (Passing Yards - Yards Lost From Sacks) / (Pass Attempts + Sacks)

This year we've gained an average of 4.904 yards per pass play, which is 5th worst in the country and 2nd worst in the P5 (only Rutgers is worse). In 2015, we gained an average of 5.396 yards per pass play, which ranked 107th out of 128 teams.

Obviously this doesn't take into account designed pass plays that turned into positive running plays.

Last edited:
With all due respect, this isn't close to among the most talented receiving corps that WF has had as a team. Caldwell had two NFL receivers in Desmond Clark, Thabiti Davis on the same team. Grobe then had two NFLers Campanaro and Givens on the same team as well, plus a ton of ridiculously fast speed guys (Jon Stone, Kevin Marion, Willie Idellette). One hand catches aside, the receiving talent on this team is not close to that.

Can also be hard to separate out QB and WR talent. For example, look at our guys #s in 2009 (with SR Riley at QB) vs 2010 (tFR Price). I think our receivers (esp. Lewis and Hines) are pretty damn good and being wasted by our inability to throw the ball.

I'm not going to spend the time to research, but it certainly feels like we had more explosive pass plays and overall better year throwing the ball last year.

Back