• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Firing vs Allowing/Forcing to Resign

slickdeac

Reaction score
Can someone speak to the history of allowing to resign vs firing throughout different sports? I'd love to understand the pros and cons of the two situations (buyouts, etc). From my ignorant perspective, all of this talk of allowing Buzz to resign seems like a complete cop out response by Wellman...The fact that he would do this for Grobe and Buzz makes it appear that he is passive, just going along with the flow of the program, and too scared to ruffle feathers...

Isn't this abnormal--especially to do it in both major sports--or have I just missed this trend in sports?

Sorry if not worth its own thread, just been curious for a while

There is no significant difference. The only difference would be that allowing a "resignation" would potentially reduce the total amount owed on the buyout by some degree.

In the end, the only time a coach is truly "fired" is if the university believes it is for cause. Every other time involves the parties negotiating over post-termination payments.

Grobe deserved to dictate how he was going to leave - how it happened was the right way for Jim and everything he has done for Wake.

[Redacted] is a CYA move. This has been a complete and total disaster from the start, so now Wellman has to try to save face and put as much positive spin on this as he can. This will be Wellman's last ditch effort to assure the masses that he didn't fuck anything up.

Grobe deserved to dictate how he was going to leave - how it happened was the right way for Jim and everything he has done for Wake.

[Redacted] is a CYA move. This has been a complete and total disaster from the start, so now Wellman has to try to save face and put as much positive spin on this as he can. This will be Wellman's last ditch effort to assure the masses that he didn't fuck anything up.

Who cares. Wellman is not going to do a hari-kari.

Doesn't matter for Bz in terms of how it looks. Everyone will know.

As for Wellman, he should get fired. No "resignation" or "retirement" strings attached.

Back