• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fischer 1st Team Parade All-American

Nobody wants him to suck, but I think people have a distorted view of his skills because they assume that Coach [Redacted] signed him so he must not be good.

I think people legitimately question the level of competition.

Do you really think people think a recruit must suck because he committed to Buzz?

I'll check him out on Sunday. Hoping he impresses.

Congrats on the honor, Chase!

Lots of internet confusion about the Parade teams. Usually the Parade squads followed pretty closely in line with other rankings; this year that seems to have been thrown out the window. Chase Fischer isn't even the only 3 star on the first team, while some of the top players in the country are 3rd team, lower, or not even included.

I'm loving the good pub for Fischer and Wake, but anyone who reads into it, and expects him to be better than Marquis Teague is in for a rude awakening next year.

Seems like they may have used some of the hybrid maxpreps selection methodology.

I think people legitimately question the level of competition.

Do you really think people think a recruit must suck because he committed to Buzz?

Based on what I have read on here and the comment section on Blogger So Dear, yes I do.

Based on what I have read on here and the comment section on Blogger So Dear, yes I do.

Personally, I think it's more that Bzz's endorsement doesn't inspire confidence. You've got a recruit that's relatively unheralded by recruiting sources- especially a smallish, white guard- that plays crappy competition. If Bzzz did not have the recruiting concerns-and had a strong track record- people would be more forgiving, instead they question.

Personally, I think it's more that Bzz's endorsement doesn't inspire confidence. You've got a recruit that's relatively unheralded by recruiting sources- especially a smallish, white guard- that plays crappy competition. If Bzzz did not have the recruiting concerns-and had a strong track record- people would be more forgiving, instead they question.

I feel like the concerns/track record were a little overblown though. The only remotely comparable job he had was at a bottom tier big 12 school, and he recruited well there.

He still had no track record to take a leap of faith that he wasn't just getting a white kid that wore his socks right or whatever. I'm not a big BZZOUTTER, so I can't necessarily speak to the irrational minds who immediately jumped on BZZZZ for Fisher. I was skeptical, though, when we quickly signed a bunch of unheralded recruits, and I'm pleasantly surprised that they may just have been some late bloomers.

Add that to the fact that, since Scout started rating recruits in 2002, we've only had one three-star player become an All-ACC performer, Kyle Visser. In that same span, we've had seven four- or five-star players make All-ACC (Eric Williams, Gray, Paul, Ish, Johnson, Teague, AFA).

We haven't even had many 3-star players be major contributors. Pick through our 9 recruiting classes from 2002-2010, and the best team of 3-star players you can come up with is:

PG- Harris
SG- Hale
SF- LD Williams
PF- Chas McFarland
C- Visser

Bench: Ellis, Weaver, Clark

You're not going to win many games with that bunch. You need stars in order to win in the ACC, and you're not likely to get many stars when you're recruiting a bunch of 2-star kids with offers from Marshall and James Madison.

Battle recruited Fischer while Dino was still coach. [Redacted] offered after he saw him. While I still think we offered/sealed the deal too early (as with a few of our other commits in 2011-2012) instead of throwing more at higher-rated recruits, the implication that Fischer coming to Wake is solely on Coach [Redacted] is misguided and quite frankly, wrong.

Just as I had doubts about Coach [Redacted]'s ineffectiveness as a coach defensively, I still have doubts (as I've had all along) about Fischer's lateral quickness and acceleration and his abilities defensively when it comes to the ACC.

That said, he has changed my mind a bit this season and kudos to him. But the question is whether or not it is a matter of playing above your competition, true excellence, or a combination of both. Regardless, Chase's game is a lot like UNC-W commit Adam Smith's (who made second team Parade AA this year actually). Whether that's better for us or better for Buzz Peterson's club is still to be seen.

Making 1st team Parade is an amazing accomplishment, and Chase should be proud, as should all Demon Deacon fans.

What did BYU win again? Regardless, they are the exception to the rule. Not the rule.

What did BYU win again? Regardless, they are the exception to the rule. Not the rule.

Same goes for Butler, VCU, Richmond, and San Diego State.

I'd wager that there is an excess of 100+ teams that are made-up almost exclusively of 2 and 3 stars. 5 of them were successful this year.

ETA: And, actually, VCU and SDSU were both headlined by 4 stars

Last edited:
Battle recruited Fischer while Dino was still coach. [Redacted] offered after he saw him. While I still think we offered/sealed the deal too early (as with a few of our other commits in 2011-2012) instead of throwing more at higher-rated recruits, the implication that Fischer coming to Wake is solely on Coach [Redacted] is misguided and quite frankly, wrong.

Just as I had doubts about Coach [Redacted]'s ineffectiveness as a coach defensively, I still have doubts (as I've had all along) about Fischer's lateral quickness and acceleration and his abilities defensively when it comes to the ACC.

That said, he has changed my mind a bit this season and kudos to him. But the question is whether or not it is a matter of playing above your competition, true excellence, or a combination of both. Regardless, Chase's game is a lot like UNC-W commit Adam Smith's (who made second team Parade AA this year actually). Whether that's better for us or better for Buzz Peterson's club is still to be seen.

Making 1st team Parade is an amazing accomplishment, and Chase should be proud, as should all Demon Deacon fans.

End of thread.

Seriously, I really have no idea whether Parade chooses these guys based on their potential as college prospects or based on their accomplishments as high school players (e.g., unlike Scout, Rivals, or ESPN, which are ranking these kids as prospects, not purely as performers). It really doesn't matter. It's fucking awesome that Chase got picked for this thing. Whether he's a Parade AA or not, the same questions about whether he is capable of getting his shot off or defending opposing shooting guards at the ACC level will remain; questions that won't be answered until next fall regardless.

Great accomplishment for the young man.

Now what I need to know is whether he makes people think of Chill. Everything else is irrelevant.

I'm fired up about Chase because of his status as King of the Gym Rats. Weird how the phrase "gym rat" has a negative connotation since Bz's arrival. I want guys who want to be in the gym to develop their games. The implication is that highly talented kids are only in the gym from 3 to 6. I don't care who it is, I want players of any talent level to develop their game from 6 to 3.

That's ought to be the definition of a gym rat and one Skip would've approved of.

Last edited:
Congrats Chase! Hoping you can keep dropping 3's when you get to Wake!

Back