• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fishin

My dad has actually built a few small boats. I don't know a great deal about them but it's pretty impressive to me. Main thing with a self made boat is it requires a great deal of upkeep to avoid major problems.

I've always wanted to make my own canoe out of a large tree, but have never had the time or patience for it. Like burn out the inside the way the Native Americans did that. I've been in a few, and while heavy, you cant beat their stability on the water.

While fishing in the Keys last year, I was talking to the Capt. of the boat about their boat and what the costs of something like that would be. He paid $800k for it new in the mid 2000's and he found a sister boat in 2010 selling for $75k. Once the economy tanks, boats are one of the first things to go. That makes me very sad, because I essentially grew up on a boat.

Boat related but slightly off-topic. I've always wanted to find a class inboard ski boat and completely restore it with my dad. Don't have the time now but hopefully when he retires we can make it happen.

I loved fishing more than almost anything when I was a kid. Bass fishing especially. Haven't been in a long time :( I'd really like to find some places around here though. Would also like to go fishing up in the mountains and eat what I catch while camping. That will be a tough one to convince TWToy to do..

Come to PA! There are tons of lakes and rivers here. We can meet in the middle. :h34rt:

I love fishing, but haven't been in years. Every time I go to the beach with a group of people I try and convince them to do a charter but they all back out.

I'm trying to go fly fishing with Dented and his buddy at some point this spring. My hope upon hopes is that my parents will let me live down at the lake for a couple of weeks after I quit work, but before I start up at school again.

I have fished for pretty much everything at this point.

Grew up with a big time bass/crappie/bream grandfather who taught me. Since, I've gravitated more towards saltwater.

There is a fantastic overnight trip for 6 fisherman you can take out of Gulf Shores, AL and fish for several kinds of fish in 36 hours. $500 but you bring home as much fish as you can pack in your coolers.

We should all plan a trip in West Virginia somewhere. There have to be some good camping/fishing spots.

you-gonna-get-raped.jpg

When I was in Boy Scouts, we went canoeing and fishing on the New River up in WV and always had a great time.

We should all plan a trip in West Virginia somewhere. There have to be some good camping/fishing spots.

You have no idea how much I want to do this. Guys weekend MUST happen sometime soon or I'm going to go crazy.

what will (notice the will...meaning this will fucking happen) we be fishing for up there? and canoe fishing is fun as hell

The water in most parts of the new is a little slow for trout, but we caught a ton of smallmouth bass and bream (sunfish).

tsy, tell me a little about fishing the Yadkin. I used to fish for an hour or so every day after school/work back home on the Saluda, and I want to get back into something like that here.

The water in most parts of the new is a little slow for trout, but we caught a ton of smallmouth bass and bream (sunfish).

The New has some trout. The North Fork of the New River from Watauga County, into Ashe around the Creston Community is stocked with trout. Some trout wash into the New from other stocked streams in the area. The New is amazing for Small Mouth and has some Muskellunge (Musky) stocked as well. A friend of mine from High School caught a 44 inch Musky there a couple years ago.

I took off Monday and did some fly fishing on the Roanoke River in Roanoke, VA. Didn't catch anything as there's a lot of pressure on the stream, a high pressure weather system was moving through, and it was windy so the trout were not feeding. I tried woolly buggers, hare's ears, tellicos, copper johns, and a tellico/hare's ear dropper rig with no luck. The water was a cold 45 degrees and I should have layered up more under the waders. Still had a great time though.

A bad day of fishing beats a good day of work.

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty good on the basics. Still need to work on my entomology of trout bugs but I can usually catch a few when I go.

The New has some trout. The North Fork of the New River from Watauga County, into Ashe around the Creston Community is stocked with trout. Some trout wash into the New from other stocked streams in the area. The New is amazing for Small Mouth and has some Muskellunge (Musky) stocked as well. A friend of mine from High School caught a 44 inch Musky there a couple years ago.

Does this hold true even for the New up in WV?

I'll probably go out on my lake for a couple of hours this afternoon. Not much to catch but a few crappies, but my gf can lay out and I can drink some beers and pretend to fish.

I'll probably go out on my lake for a couple of hours this afternoon. Not much to catch but a few crappies, but my gf can lay out and I can drink some beers and pretend to fish.

I can't see you fishing. Sounds awesome though.

Back