• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fishing Equipment

DeacWatcher

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
Looking for a good solid freshwater spinning reel for my wife's birthday. I don't want to break the bank, but want something that is pretty smooth. A buddy of mine left his Shimano Citadel over last week and I thought she was gonna have an orgasm when she threw it the first time not knowing it wasn't mine.

What say you Pit?

Last edited:
Ugly Stik for low end that will last forever.

0030067207036_500X500.jpg

People, he asked for a reel recommendation. Not a rod.

How often would she fish, and what would she primarily fish for? I've got separate spinning reels that I use for small gamefish, bass, and river cats.

right but he could buy a ugly stick with a with a decent reel already why wouldn't you.. just put some better line on it and your set

A lot of those Shakespeare reels they put on those combos are pretty cheap.

How often would she fish, and what would she primarily fish for? I've got separate spinning reels that I use for small gamefish, bass, and river cats.

She fishes a lot primarily in local lakes and ponds for bream, small/large bass, crappie, and the occasional catfish.
I don't know enough about it, but do know you can drop some pretty serious dough on a reel. What I'd like to know is that at what price point ($50, $75, $100 etc.) does it become irrelevant with the bells and whistles on a reel?

Last edited:
The Penn Fierce combos they sell at Dick's Sporting Goods get you a lot of bang for the buck (79.99 the last I bought). Sounds like your wife would be using the 4000 model. I prefer an Ugly Stik rod myself but the reels they pair those with (shakespeare) simply won't last. The rod that Penn sells with the combo is fine. I've got 3 sets and fish for flounder, trout, and drum with them 50+ days a year down here on the coast and they hold up well IMO. Just be thankful you have a wife who likes to fish! GL

Get a shimano 4000 series on an ugly sick and lock the thread. I fish a hundred days a year, and that's what I throw 90 percent of the time.

I've had the same shimano sedona for 7 years. Salt and freshwater. It's durable

The Penn Fierce combos they sell at Dick's Sporting Goods get you a lot of bang for the buck (79.99 the last I bought). Sounds like your wife would be using the 4000 model. I prefer an Ugly Stik rod myself but the reels they pair those with (shakespeare) simply won't last. The rod that Penn sells with the combo is fine. I've got 3 sets and fish for flounder, trout, and drum with them 50+ days a year down here on the coast and they hold up well IMO. Just be thankful you have a wife who likes to fish! GL

If you're fishing for bream, bass and cats, you're probably not going to catch much of anything over 5lbs unless you fish an area of unusually large cats/bass. Penn fierce is more heavy duty than you would need. I can't say much about freshwater fishing, because I don't do much of it, but I would guess you wouldn't need a reel with more than a few lbs of drag, but you want something light/balanced because you'll be doing a lot of casting and reeling.

Yeah, I'd get a small reel for that type of fishing. Fill it with 8 pound test and put it on a light action rod for more fun bringing in the fish. A lot of bass fishermen use 12 pound test and a stiff rod with a baitcasting reel. I don't think you want to go that route from a versatility standpoint.

She fishes a lot primarily in local lakes and ponds for bream, small/large bass, crappie, and the occasional catfish.
I don't know enough about it, but do know you can drop some pretty serious dough on a reel. What I'd like to know is that at what price point ($50, $75, $100 etc.) does it become irrelevant with the bells and whistles on a reel?

You should be able find a nice quality reel in the $50 price range. Honestly, unless your wife is an avid fisherman, it makes no sense to me to spend any more.

You should be able find a nice quality reel in the $50 price range. Honestly, unless your wife is an avid fisherman, it makes no sense to me to spend any more.

Yeah, but good gear is so nice, whatever the pursuit.

I'll say it again. Shimano 4000 series and a medium acton ugly stick. I use 60lb test power pro with a 30lb fluorocarbon leader joined with a reverse Albrecht knot for salt marsh, nearshore, and catfish. I'll swap spools to a 10lb mono for bass and bream, but I usually use my ultralight. I've caught 70lb sharks, bull reds, titty bream, abs everything else in the Carolinas on that rig.

Get a Zebco 33 reel with 8 lb line for the freshwater fishing you described.. A cheap 5 ft rod is plenty.

Back