• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Flu Shots

Do you get flu shots?

• Yes I do/No, but because I'm a pussy/lazy

Votes: 75 68.8%
  • No, against my religion/unsafe/some other reason

Votes: 34 31.2%

• Total voters

Baconwfu

Reaction score
Do you get them or not
if not, why?

My company is giving out free flu shots today and I'm astonished by the number of people who say they don't get them. I think it's ridiculous

Last edited:
I've found that the years I do not get a flu shot, I catch every bug (flu or not) that is out there - including sinus infections, bronchitis, etc. When I do get the flu shot, I may have 1 or 2 colds over the course of the winter...and that's it. So I'll be getting one soon.

Got mine Tuesday. Unless we have a MD's exemption we have to get them, but then again I work at a hospital.

People that dont get them befuddle me. I've heard people say they got the flu as a direct result of getting the shot, and its entirely untrue. You cant get the flu from the shot, but you can feel less than stellar while you build up the antibodies.

I got the shot last year, and ended up catching a mutated strain of the flu. I felt horrible for a week, and threw a party when my fever finally broke 101 degrees. It was miserable.

the only time i ever got one i was sick as hell and ended up with walking pneumonia. it may have been a coincidence (probably was), but that's the only time i've ever had walking pneumonia.

I've found that the years I do not get a flu shot, I catch every bug (flu or not) that is out there - including sinus infections, bronchitis, etc. When I do get the flu shot, I may have 1 or 2 colds over the course of the winter...and that's it. So I'll be getting one soon.

That is how I am, except I will still get a sinus infection in February every year. My entire family, except my mother, has gotten the flu shot for years. She always said she doesn't get sick so why get it when it is just the flu. This past year, my mother got the flu while the rest of us stayed healthy. She then kept catching every cold or bug that went around her school. She is now going to get the flu shot.

have to get them for work. one year it was the mist you snort up the nose. i felt a little run down for a day or two after that, but I've never gotten sick or had any issues with the shots otherwise. knock on wood.

Flu shots are good and bad depending on who you are. Also if you get them you pretty much have to keep getting them every year for optimal protection compared to someone that never gets them

I've never had the flu. I have also never taken a flu shot.

It really doesn't bother me.

Flu shots are good and bad depending on who you are. Also if you get them you pretty much have to keep getting them every year for optimal protection compared to someone that never gets them

explain yourself as that doesn't make any sense

Yeah, once you've been given the shot you are immune to that strain from then on. The strains mutate at least once or twice a season, but that strain is covered in the following year's vaccine. Those who get the shot every year are protected from more strains than those who never get them. Remember how the h1n1 flu mainly infected the younger folks? That was because the older generations were protected from the vaccines for the h1n1 flu years ago.

Last edited:
Flu shots are also a guess at what strain is going to be prevalent. So no guarantee that you will be actually protected from the flu if the vaccine developers are wrong.

Yeah, once you've been given the shot you are immune to that strain from then on. The strains mutate at least once or twice a season, but that strain is covered in the following year's vaccine. Those who get the shot every year are protected from more strains than those who never get them. Remember how the bird flu mainly infected the younger folks? That was because the older generations were protected from the vaccines for the bird flu years ago.

uh, that was because the bird flu strain was a strain from like 85 years ago.

Flu shots are also a guess at what strain is going to be prevalent. So no guarantee that you will be actually protected from the flu if the vaccine developers are wrong.

Yeah, it's no guarantee, but if you're sitting a work and someone's like, hey here's a free flu shot, why the fuck not
I didn't get one last year because I was (didn't get the flu) travelling the day we had the flu shot team come in and didn't want to wait in line/pay for them at other places

I've got a sinus infection right now. My head might explode.

Will probably get the flu shot next week when I get over this.

Back