• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Flying into Bo$ton wanting to rent a car

TARDAWG

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
Anyone familiar with Car Rental companies outside of the Boston airport and how hard it would be to get there from the Boston Airport to rent a car for about half the price? Flying in on a Thursday, returning on a Monday (after the 10am pick up hour) so I am getting hit with a weekly rate. Rates are about half of those from in terminal pick-up compared to "local" pick-up.

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated. Any great site to use other than the obvious ones like Priceline, Kayak, etc.? Currently the wife and two kids with four suitcases. Do not care about unlimited milage .

Plenty of cabs at Logan.

I've rented there before and it took a good while to get to the rental car lot from Logan on the company buses.

I don't know if your intentions are to drive out of town, but I'd never advise visitors to rent a car if they're staying local. T + your feet + cabs (when needed) should suffice and that will keep you from the frustration of driving (and parking) in Boston.

If you're just staying in Boston you don't need a car, as others have said. If you're looking to go somewhere else you could probably just mention it here and we can tell you if you need a car to get there. It's pretty unlikely that you would need a car to get anywhere since the train will pretty much take you within an hour of the city in any direction.

Agree. Never drive a car into downtown Boston, or nearby, if it can be avoided. If you're renting a car and then driving somewhere farther afield though, have at it.

Thanks for the advice, but we are driving out of Boston, but only about 90 miles so the unlimited milage thing is not a big factor. I guess I will suck it up and rent from the Airport.

Cheers and have a great weekend.

If you're just staying in Boston you don't need a car, as others have said. If you're looking to go somewhere else you could probably just mention it here and we can tell you if you need a car to get there. It's pretty unlikely that you would need a car to get anywhere since the train will pretty much take you within an hour of the city in any direction.

Chestnut Hill doable by train or taxi? I would think so, but making sure.

Priceline bid it, man. I've won some insane last minute rental car deals. You get to pick your car size and everything - should be a snap.

Thanks for the advice, but we are driving out of Boston, but only about 90 miles so the unlimited milage thing is not a big factor. I guess I will suck it up and rent from the Airport.

Cheers and have a great weekend.

Which means you'll have to change trains.

Depends on where you're coming from. From the airport you'll have to change lines.

If you're coming up for the game, just give yourself plenty of time, especially if you're going during rush hour on a Friday. The B line ends literally at Chestnut Hill but I think the C line ends pretty close to the campus as well. I think I took the B when I went to the basketball game.

My parents are coming up for the game and I'm going with my girlfriend as well as soon as work gets off. Drop me a line TBR if you're definitely coming up and we can meet up and grab a beer. That stands for anyone coming up for the game.

Car rentals in Boston (especially near Logan) are notoriously expensive in the summer because lots of out of towners are flying in and driving to the Cape or to Maine. It doesn't matter where you rent or what Web site you use, you are not going to save any money.

Unfortunately this is what I have found to be the case.

Car rentals in Boston (especially near Logan) are notoriously expensive in the summer because lots of out of towners are flying in and driving to the Cape or to Maine. It doesn't matter where you rent or what Web site you use, you are not going to save any money.

Back