• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Follett to operate Wake Forest bookstores

Deacsfan27

Reaction score
Fairly interesting news imo

Oak Brook-based Follett Higher Education Group said it will partner with Wake Forest University to operate its University Stores, including the University Bookstore, the Deacon Shop and the Hanes Mall Deacon Shop location.

Follett will begin management of all retail operations on June 28, 2013.

Follett will bring to Wake Forest the largest inventory of course materials through a network of more than 8,000 publishers and providers. Deacon fans and alumni will see a refreshed assortment of clothing, gifts and accessories.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20130617/business/706179866/

Another significant cost cutting measure. I assume that means all of those employees will no longer gain the faculty benefits since they will officially be working for Follett.

Another significant cost cutting measure. I assume that means all of those employees will no longer gain the faculty benefits since they will officially be working for Follett.

If they're kept on.

this smells like a bad move for the deacon shop. i dont want someone who knows nothing of wake / could care less about wake running that op

If they're kept on.

Follett has agreed to:

Guarantee employment for all full-time Stores employees for a minimum of one year at their current pay rate and number of hours.
Recognize years of service at Wake Forest as “years worked at Follett” for purposes of determining benefits eligibility and level of benefits.
Offer immediate eligibility for health care benefits, without exclusions or waiting periods for pre-existing conditions.
Seek University approval of any changes Follett wishes to make to positions or reporting structure during the first year of the contract.

http://inside.wfu.edu/2013/05/follett-selected-to-manage-university-stores/

this smells like a bad move for the deacon shop. i dont want someone who knows nothing of wake / could care less about wake running that op

I think it is just the right kind of thing to outsource. Currently it offers low touch service (easily replicable, even if the employees don't have a direct connection to the university) and is utilized only occasionally by both students and alumni alike.

Aren't people on the boards always complaining about how shittily run the Deacon Shop and its website are? Sucks there's no longer a direct connection to the university but seems like this could help straighten up things.

Aren't people on the boards always complaining about how shittily run the Deacon Shop and its website are? Sucks there's no longer a direct connection to the university but seems like this could help straighten up things.

This doesn't seem to be the Deacon Shop at all but rather the College Bookstore.

This doesn't seem to be the Deacon Shop at all but rather the College Bookstore.

From the original post: Oak Brook-based Follett Higher Education Group said it will partner with Wake Forest University to operate its University Stores, including the University Bookstore, the Deacon Shop and the Hanes Mall Deacon Shop location.

From the original post: Oak Brook-based Follett Higher Education Group said it will partner with Wake Forest University to operate its University Stores, including the University Bookstore, the Deacon Shop and the Hanes Mall Deacon Shop location.

Reading is FUNdamental!

If they're capable of keeping a Men's Large golf shirt in stock they're a 1000% improvement over the current regime.

Back