• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Coaching 2013

ACCOffice

Reaction score
This deserves a thread of it's own.

Our offensive staff spends the entire winter formulating a new offensive game plan. They spend weeks in spring practice installing the new offense. Coaches are said to be very pleased. We are lead to believe that the offense is so innovative we close scrimmages to the public for the first time ever to keep it under wraps. We start fall practice fine tuning this offense. Grobe is publically optimistic that this will be one of his best teams in years. The season starts and the offense is so bad as to be unwatchable. It is scrapped after 2 games.

How does a coach miss this bad on something this big? What did they see and think that made them so confident this would work?

Almost shocking.

Are you kidding me? I enjoyed 2006 as much as anyone but you're a moron. Did the staff cause Mauk's injury so Skinner would be discovered? Did the staff cause Va Tech to lose early to a mediocre Ga Tech team? Did THIS staff pull Moore out of the hat? No, that was Tim Billings who happened to be the brightest coach we had....who was later fired in a bonehead move that signaled the beginning of the end for Grobe. 2006 was 7 years ago. Give me a break.

After the way the season started no one can deny that this team overachieved. You could never have imagined 4 wins after watching Wake shit the bed against BC and ULM.

So the bar was set so low by early ineptitude on behalf of the coaches that anything positive afterwards is considered a success.

YankeeInAtlanta=[Redacted]'s agent?

This deserves a thread of it's own.

Our offensive staff spends the entire winter formulating a new offensive game plan. They spend weeks in spring practice installing the new offense. Coaches are said to be very pleased. We are lead to believe that the offense is so innovative we close scrimmages to the public for the first time ever to keep it under wraps. We start fall practice fine tuning this offense. Grobe is publically optimistic that this will be one of his best teams in years. The season starts and the offense is so bad as to be unwatchable. It is scrapped after 2 games.

How does a coach miss this bad on something this big? What did they see and think that made them so confident this would work?

Almost shocking.

This is most worrisome indicia of Grobe's entire regime -- he doesn't know what offensive talent looks like when he sees it, and when he thinks he sees it, he's wrong. Even Riley only saw the field because of multiple injuries.

Put differently, not only do I not trust the staff to recruit ACC-quality QBs and skill players, I don't trust their ability to (a) recognize when the've done so, nor (b) utilize such players properly even given (a). We're basically all hoping that Grobe, Lobo & Co. fall ass-backwards into another legendary QB by accident.

After the way the season started no one can deny that this team overachieved. You could never have imagined 4 wins after watching Wake shit the bed against BC and ULM.

I couldn't have imagined State would go 0-fer in the conference and Maryland would pick up 3 wins with only 1 being against a team that won a conference game.

Anybody else wonder what Zac Taylor could have done at Wake if Mauk and Randolph had just gotten injured?

Think about it. Grobe went through all that 2 QB bullshit bewteen one guy who was a serviceable option QB, a guy who went on to be a star QB at Cincy, and a guy who wasn't even in the mix who went on to be a star at freakin' Nebraska.

I couldn't have imagined State would go 0-fer in the conference and Maryland would pick up 3 wins with only 1 being against a team that won a conference game.

Anybody else wonder what Zac Taylor could have done at Wake if Mauk and Randolph had just gotten injured?

Think about it. Grobe went through all that 2 QB bullshit bewteen one guy who was a serviceable option QB, a guy who went on to be a star QB at Cincy, and a guy who wasn't even in the mix who went on to be a star at freakin' Nebraska.

exactly, taylor and mauk are PRIME examples of our coaches ineptitude. they both looked like all stars at their respective schools but were apparently bums at wake.

We don't always put the right guys on the field on defense either.

exactly, taylor and mauk are PRIME examples of our coaches ineptitude. they both looked like all stars at their respective schools but were apparently bums at wake.
Grobe gets dinged all the time for having Riley buried behind Mauk. You can't get him for Mauk going on to have a good career somewhere else too.

Back