• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football poll - Grobe vs Schnellenberger

Grobe with 1 ACC championship / Orange Bowl or Thug U with 2 national titles

• Thug U with 2 national titles

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Grobe with 1 ACC championship / Orange Bowl

Votes: 30 54.5%
  • Grobe regardless of whether we ever had a winning season

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

91deac

Richard Joyce
Reaction score
After watching the 30 for 30 on Thug U, a couple of people commented on another thread how Miami, pre-schnellenberger, was similar to Wake and it started me to wondering. If you could go back to 2001, would you rather hire Jim Grobe and have the last 10 years or hire schnellenberger and have Thug U's version of the 80's, with a couple of national championships and all of the off the field issues?

After watching the 30 for 30 on Thug U, a couple of people commented on another thread how Miami, pre-schnellenberger, was similar to Wake and it started me to wondering. If you could go back to 2001, would you rather hire Jim Grobe and have the last 10 years or hire schnellenberger and have Thug U's version of the 80's, with a couple of national championships and all of the off the field issues?

The 2006 season so special to me, I wouldn't change a thing and I certainly wouldn't want to have the reputation of Miami even if it meant a national title or two.

I'd take Grobe because, honestly, I think there are an awful lot of people across the country who don't know that Miami is an excellent academic school, because they associate the university (or "U") with the actions of the football players of that era, which don't exactly scream "academic excellence." I know I fell into that category for a long time. So in that sense, Schnellenberger's teams, and later Jimmy Johnson's and Barry Switzer's teams, hurt the university as an institution.

I think that's an excellent point. I'm betting the actual Miami alumni feel the same way to an extent. Most of Miami's fans come from the thug mentality and probably don't even know Miami is a real university that give real degrees. I remember the first time we hosted Miami, that Miami "fans" I saw at the game certainly didn't go to school there or probably even knew where the campus is.

Smellyburger only had one national title (and wouldn't have had that if Nebraska had settled for the tie), but he set in motion Miami's 5 national titles over the next several years. He never duplicated similar success again because he tapped into something different and special there at Miami, something he would not have been able to do at Wake. The problems at Miami really started after he left, and were more a product of the thug culture in play at the time, and especially in play with the local Miami kids growing up in gangbanger central. Miami got more attention for it because they were universally reviled, but this stuff was going on at almost all the successful programs in the country by the late 80s.

Oh, and as special as the ACC Championship was, I'd take a NC any day of the week.

Schnellenberger started in 79. Miaimi won 2 NC over the next 10 years, one with him and the next with JJ. I was just trying to pick a 10 year slot.

I wonder how many students/alumni will pick one of the middle or bottom choices rather than bandwagon fans (and sports "writers") who have no investment in the reputation and ethics of the university as a whole.

Keeping the program clean and maintaining the good name of the university is a higher priority to me than winning. In my opinion, the revenue athletics teams exist to enhance the reputation of the university, so anything that undermines that goal is to be avoided. Obviously, losing a lot doesn't really help the university's image either, but it's better than being labeled a cheater.

Schnellenberger started in 79. Miaimi won 2 NC over the next 10 years, one with him and the next with JJ. I was just trying to pick a 10 year slot.

ah ok...I didn't quite gather all that from the original post. They won one in 89 too, but I guess that's technically the 11th year.

They won them in 83, 87, 89, and 91. Another one in 2001. That is a very impressive run, though it helps that they got to win a lot of those in the Orange Bowl.

Why are people choosing option #3?

Since the gist of #3 is the same as #2 (Grobe coaching) I don't see a great deal of difference between them. Certainly not to the extent of what is proposed in #1.

I wouldn't want Wake to have the negative connotation that is attached to Miami.

I'd take Grobe because, honestly, I think there are an awful lot of people across the country who don't know that Miami is an excellent academic school, because they associate the university (or "U") with the actions of the football players of that era, which don't exactly scream "academic excellence." I know I fell into that category for a long time. So in that sense, Schnellenberger's teams, and later Jimmy Johnson's and Barry Switzer's teams, hurt the university as an institution.

one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong...

Why are people choosing option #3?

Seriously. How is that a better choice than #2?

Is #3 supposed to be "Grobe, even if we won 1 or 2 games every year, donations dried up, renovations were never made to Groves Stadium, and 15,000 people went to each game?"

I'd take Grobe because, honestly, I think there are an awful lot of people across the country who don't know that Miami is an excellent academic school, because they associate the university (or "U") with the actions of the football players of that era, which don't exactly scream "academic excellence." I know I fell into that category for a long time. So in that sense, Schnellenberger's teams, and later Jimmy Johnson's and Dennis Erickson's teams, hurt the university as an institution.

FIFY

Shellenberger everyday of the GD week and three times on Sunday.

Carolina cheats up and down and doesnt even win. At least we would have done it right.

Clearly there is. If you cheat and win, you have accomplished your objective. If you cheat and still lose, you are just a fucking maroon.

Carolina football is akin to stealing the answers to the test from the professor's office and still making a C-.

Clearly there is. If you cheat and win, you have accomplished your objective. If you cheat and still lose, you are just a fucking maroon.

Carolina football is akin to stealing the answers to the test from the professor's office and still making a C-.
Isn't the objective to win and not get caught?

Back