• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Prognostications...

My realistic assessment - Offensive line needs to STFU to have a chance at .500. We have so many Rs-JR/Sr on the O-line that if they can't put it together, that will have been 3 years of poor O-line play and will be put in the books as one of the top reasons for the regression since 2008.

Only 3 years?

So your answer is yes.

No, I don't think he wants to answer the question in it's snarky-ass tone -- so the answer is not "No" per se, but rather "FUCK NO" in it's present form.

Only 3 years?

PH, I believe part of the decline is also due to tentative play from RB's. We have a group now that will run up the backside of an OL if the latter doesn't create a little space.

The size/height of our current OL is,well, head and shoulders above where it had been 2-3 years ago. 6'5 to 6'6 and 300 plus pounders in abundance with a couple of kids at 6'7 and 6'8 while another new comer is over 6'6 (Goodwin) and will arrive at 310 pounds.

will we ever return to the cut-blocking and cut-back running schemes that served us so well in the past?

To make sure I understand it right, Kevin Harris, Josh Adams, and Brandon Pendergrass were too tentative, while Josh Harris and Nick Knott will run it up the backside of the OL if they don't have a hole?

To make sure I understand it right, Kevin Harris, Josh Adams, and Brandon Pendergrass were too tentative, while Josh Harris and Nick Knott will run it up the backside of the OL if they don't have a hole?

yep. Knott, despite his size is a straight line runner. Harris runs right at the line and either expects or hopes the hole will develop. Pendergrass has gotten better and better. Adams kept dancing his entire stay -- when he bolted as he did on his long TD vs FSU he was very effective and showed great promise.

Kevin was not an ACC caliber TB -- he was caught between FB and TB.

No, I don't think he wants to answer the question in it's snarky-ass tone -- so the answer is not "No" per se, but rather "FUCK NO" in it's present form.

It wasn't a snarky question, you're just hypersensitive. I care more about Wake Forest than I do Jim Grobe. He was hired to build Wake into a competitor, not have 1 great season and burn it the fuck down again. I want Wake to be good at football 10 years, and 20 years from now. He's not going to, but you'd be stupid to allow Grobe to tank the program for a decade because of 1 great season.

My prognostication is that UNC-C will win the Nat'l Championship in 3 years. They are clearly on their way to becoming the BILL BRASKY! of college football.

It wasn't a snarky question, you're just hypersensitive. I care more about Wake Forest than I do Jim Grobe. He was hired to build Wake into a competitor, not have 1 great season and burn it the fuck down again. I want Wake to be good at football 10 years, and 20 years from now. He's not going to, but you'd be stupid to allow Grobe to tank the program for a decade because of 1 great season.

Shut up larry. That is some straight "moron"flowing out yer pie hole pal.

Shut up larry. That is some straight "moron"flowing out yer pie hole pal.

WTF are you talking about, guy? I made my point clear: We would be stupid to let the progress of our football program be negated by blind faith to a single coach.

Saying that you would allow Jim Grobe 10 seasons of "5 blowout losses" is foolish. He raised the bar, now he has to live up the standards he set.

WTF are you talking about, guy? I made my point clear: We would be stupid to let the progress of our football program be negated by blind faith to a single coach.

Saying that you would allow Jim Grobe 10 seasons of "5 blowout losses" is foolish. He raised the bar, now he has to live up the standards he set.

They're saying that if Grobe puts up Caldwell seasons he'll still be seen as 2006 Grobe no matter what. Past > present > future for some.

They're saying that if Grobe puts up Caldwell seasons he'll still be seen as 2006 Grobe no matter what. Past > present > future for some.

Isn't that what all these old timers complain about though? How lucky we are now, because Wake football sucked so much back then? Why would anyone be willing to let it go back to that? Grobe still has to prove that he can win without Riley & the fresh Deacs.

Isn't that what all these old timers complain about though? How lucky we are now, because Wake football sucked so much back then? Why would anyone be willing to let it go back to that? Grobe still has to prove that he can win without Riley & the fresh Deacs.

The old timers don't necessarily want success per se. They want to feel success. They want to feel secure. That's why they put so much faith on Wellman and Grobe. So when Bz puts up a worse than Staak season, they can say "at least we don't have Staak" and when Grobe puts up a worse than Caldwell season, they can say "at least we don't have Caldwell."

And when our basketball, football, and baseball programs are in the dumps, they can say "at least we have Wellman".

We have a lot of talent coming back this year, I just hope we can realize our potential, because last year sucked. I don't expect a winning season, but we should win 5 or 6.

Last edited:
In a weak conference in which we play Duke every year and a weak non-con with a series with Vandy and a FCS most seasons, it's not unreasonable to have a floor of 5 wins. It just means beating the "gimmees" and a third of the rest.

No, I just think you are typing without thinking. PH is wrong. When you look at Jim Grobe you are looking at very likely the only coach out there who could do what he has done at Wake Forest. To deny the "can't do" attitude that prevailed among fans, writers, and fellow coaches before his arrival signals your own need to have an alzheimer's examination.

There are many factors which made Grobe the "perfect storm" hire and one that defied all "conventional and data heavy wisdom". Don't be quick to respond without thinking.

How the hell do you know what the fanbase thought before you jumped on the bandwagon? A significant portion loved our coach, but demanded better. The same will play out with Grobe if last season becomes a trend.

Last edited:
How the hell do you know what the fanbase thought before you jumped on the bandwagon? A significant portion loved our coach, but demanded better. The same will play out with Grobe if last season becomes a trend.

nm

Last edited:

Jim Caldwell had records of 2-9, 3-8, 1-10, 3-8, 5-6, 3-8, 7-5, 2-9. He never won more than 3 ACC games. One bowl bid. Yet he coached at Wake for 8 seasons.

Given Grobe's far greater accomplishments, how long will he be allowed to coach at Wake if last season becomes the rule rather than an exception? Does all that Grobe has accomplished at Wake give him more time or less time if things continue to go bad?

No, I just think you are typing without thinking.

1. What are you answering "No" to? I didn't ask you a "yes or no" question.

2. The 2006 Championship doesn't excuse Coach Grobe from keeping our program competitive in the present, so that the coach who follows him doesn't have to build the program from scratch, again.

3. Just because we allowed previous coaches 8 years of failure, doesn't mean we have to continue that trend. We've all seen it's possible to win here, so we need to ditch the LOWF mentality. We have the resources and recruits to win 5-7 games every year.

Last edited:
Back