• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football radio broadcasts

I honestly thought Elrod was the best color man Stan has had. Trouble is, you can be a turncoat prick and still have terrific insights. But, IMHO, Urbanik was a close second to Elrod. He got a little long-winded at times, but he called it as he saw it. I am sure some of his comments did not register on the "Like" side of Premier Wellman's scale - thus, his brief time in that job.

Yeah, Elrod did a great job at color commentating. I remember thinking I hope he keeps doing this for a long time and then you find out he's piece of crap that should be used by our defense as a tackling dummy in practice.

Gotta wonder if Elrod got information from opposing coaches that helped him in his broadcasts.

You got a problem with Urbanik, smart guy?

Urbanik was great. He sounded like football. I just roll my eyes that literally everything that ever happens is all part of some grand conspiracy.

Proehl was surprisingly bad. What is Alphonso doing these days? he was very personable and smooth when interviewed. I guess Evan Leppler is more of a play by play guy.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a wake guy. like a GA, or 10th assistant, why not pick up a guy that has put in some work, and wants to do this for a living that maybe has some talent doing it, rather than a legacy position as a side job.

Proehl was surprisingly bad. What is Alphonso doing these days? he was very personable and smooth when interviewed. I guess Evan Leppler is more of a play by play guy.

Smith was fired from his Pahokee HC gig under investigation and was charged with domestic assault on his baby momma last year. Appears to be laying low.

Phonz got fired as the head coach at Pahokee. No idea what he's doing now.

Phonz got fired as the head coach at Pahokee. No idea what he's doing now.

The 2016 article below was the latest I could find on Smith. He was fired as Pahokee's coach just before the playoffs during his first year based on "inappropriate conduct"; at the time the article was written, Smith also facing a battery charge from his ex-girl friend. Hope things have improved over last year and half for Alphonso:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/football/palm-beach/fl-pahokee-alphonso-smith-arrest-0720-20160719-story.html

Did not know that about Phonz. Sorry to hear it.

I'll do it.

No experience with in-game broadcasting since HS, but I had a Tony Romo esque ability to predict every one of Lobo's next playcalls

I'll do it.

No experience with in-game broadcasting since HS, but I had a Tony Romo esque ability to predict every one of Lobo's next playcalls

Nothing special about that. Depending on where our games were during his time, 30 to 60 K watching knew that too.

I heard Urbanik had a close and very personal relationship with Johnny Walker and Pyotr Smirnoff

Lepler also has bigger fish to fry on Saturdays.

I wish there was a way to listen to old broadcasts of games. It would be good background while I work.

We should try BKF. He could refer to his diary for useful memories of each game from 50 years ago and life as a hardworking, squeaky clean student from the old south.

Think of all of stories he could tell about how college athletics and Wake Forest College used to be great. He would blame the lack of student attendance on the spoiled rich liberals several times a game, reminisce about hitch biking home each weekend to see the child he was dating and put in a plug for his investment business.

Urbanik played in the '68 Rose Bowl for tOSU. Saw it on ESPN classics. Wasn't Chuck Ramsey his replacement?

I heard Urbanik had a close and very personal relationship with Johnny Walker and Pyotr Smirnoff

But he was a good color analysts if it didn't impair his work routine. Then again, maybe he related some details too freely for some. I wish him well.

I can do it. At this point in life I have a face for radio, so what the hell.

In all seriousness, it would be a fun part time gig for anybody. And yes, that POS Elrod was our best most recently.

Back