• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Football Talent gap versus effort and poor coaching

RiskyBusiness

Reaction score
Looking at the season objectively, it seems to me that we are losing in all areas. We beat UNC with great effort and they had better talent. I hoped that we would build on this effort.

Instead, things got worse. Grobe can argue that injuries were too much to overcome, but the team did not play like their hair was on fire. In the early Grobe years, our teams improved as the season advanced. We were known for playing harder than any other team. Our guys never gave up. Somewhere after 2006, our teams started losing the magic. I think Grobe even mentioned once that we were not working hard enough, taking past success for granted.

Players started making mistakes and we lost several close games. Coaches blamed the players for not stepping up and making plays.
Players seemed to play scared and made more mistakes. We were competitive, but we did not win most close games.

Recruiting never improved, which is the part that hurts the most. We had good teams in 2007 and 2008, but our recruiting classes stayed at the bottom of the conference. It looks like there aren't enough good players who want to attend Wake. At the least, we do not know how to recruit them.

As others have mentioned, our coaches are not working well with the team to develop leaders and team chemistry seems terrible at the end of each year.

Too many times this year it looked like men against boys. We used to counter the talent gap by developing guys in our red shirt program. It no longers looks to be working.

Something has to change now. Grobe will be here due to his contract, but key assistants need to change. Firing people is hard, but sometimes necessary. It is necessary now and should start quickly. We need to send a message to current players and recruits that poor effort and poor coaching will not be tolerated.

I do not know how successful we can be at Wake on a consistent basis, but there is no excuse not to have consistent effort. I do not have the answers, but I realize that we can't keep doing the same things and expect a different result.

Sorry for the rant. At least I feel a little better for now. I am choosing to put basketball on "ignore." I wiil let the rest of you sort that out.

Back