• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

For MLK day

mmedeac

Reaction score
I found something I thought would be interesting to share for January 15-16:

Two months before his assassination, Dr. King said he had thought about what he would like people to say at his funeral:

"Tell them not to mention that I have a Nobel Peace Prize-that isn't important. Tell them not to mention that I have three or four hundred other awards- that's not important. Tell them not to mention where I went to school.

I'd like somebody to mention that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to give his life serving others.

I'd like for somebody to say that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to love somebody.

I want you to say that day that I tried to be right on the war question.

I want you to be able to say that I did try to feed the hungry.

And I want you to be able to say that I did try in my life to clothe those who were naked.

I want you to say that day that I did try to visit those who were in prison.

I want you to say that day that I did try to love and serve humanity.

I won't have any money to leave behind.I won't have the fine and luxurious things of life to leave behind. I just want to leave a committed life behind. And that's all I want to say."

And that's the Gospel.

As a speech writer (and person), he has few equals.

and now you know..... the rest of the story...

paul%20harvey.bmp

...good day!

I found something I thought would be interesting to share for January 15-16:

Two months before his assassination, Dr. King said he had thought about what he would like people to say at his funeral:

"Tell them not to mention that I have a Nobel Peace Prize-that isn't important. Tell them not to mention that I have three or four hundred other awards- that's not important. Tell them not to mention where I went to school.

I'd like somebody to mention that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to give his life serving others.

I'd like for somebody to say that day that Martin Luther King, Jr., tried to love somebody.

I want you to say that day that I tried to be right on the war question.

I want you to be able to say that I did try to feed the hungry.

And I want you to be able to say that I did try in my life to clothe those who were naked.
I want you to say that day that I did try to visit those who were in prison.

I want you to say that day that I did try to love and serve humanity.

I won't have any money to leave behind.I won't have the fine and luxurious things of life to leave behind. I just want to leave a committed life behind. And that's all I want to say."

And that's the Gospel.

Except for those civil rights movment groupies!

Nothing says MLK day like a republican debate in South Carolina and a standing ovation when Gingrich scolds the only black guy in the room when discussing what's best for black people. MLK would have been proud.

Is it pretty common knowledge that Martin Luther King was nearly stabbed to death at a book signing in Harlem by a black woman who thought he was a communist?

I watched a pretty long documetary about him on the history channel yesterday and I don't think I've heard about that before?

Is it pretty common knowledge that Martin Luther King was nearly stabbed to death at a book signing in Harlem by a black woman who thought he was a communist?

I watched a pretty long documetary about him on the history channel yesterday and I don't think I've heard about that before?

It's not uncommon, but MLK has largely been entombed by his mythology. There are few things that our schools do a poorer job communicating than the Civil Rights Movement. Everything was so much more difficult and complex than Rosa Parks sits, King speaks, and King is assassinated.

King was killed for his pro-labor and anti-war stance as much as his racial equality views (though he would argue it was all the same justice, I would imagine).

Good post. MLK day should be an educational holiday instead of a day off. My Racial and Ethnic Relations course was cancelled last night. That doesn't make sense.

Nothing says MLK day like a republican debate in South Carolina and a standing ovation when Gingrich scolds the only black guy in the room when discussing what's best for black people. MLK would have been proud.

Yeah. Juan got viciously booed for those questions. That could be huge for Newt. Southern strategy FTW.

Good post. MLK day should be an educational holiday instead of a day off. My Racial and Ethnic Relations course was cancelled last night. That doesn't make sense.

What kind of education would you be talking about?

What do you think? Dr. King.

Yeah. Juan got viciously booed for those questions. That could be huge for Newt. Southern strategy FTW.

I was there and the people in the bleachers (there was a floor level and bleacher level) went insane over everything the ol' Newtster did.

Back