• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

For those thinking about law school

You really need to think about it, especially if you try and do LS right out of the gate.

I worked for 5 years and then chose to go, only because I have built so many connections around GA that I know I will have a somewhat easier time finding a job after graduation.

If you go to law school (non top-15 law school) you should be mentally (and perhaps financially) prepared to be willing to hang a shingle when you are done. The legal industry of 90s and early 2000s is not coming back. Big law will still exist for some straight out of law school, but odds are not in your favor. That is not that big of a deal, since big law sucks ass (except for the money, and, if you are at a decently-cool firm you can make some good connections with others who will be jumping ship with you within 5 years).

You really need to think about it, especially if you try and do LS right out of the gate.

I worked for 5 years and then chose to go, only because I have built so many connections around GA that I know I will have a somewhat easier time finding a job after graduation.

Unless your grades suck, in which case you'll be hosed anyway. I think there are very few people that can use connections to overcome even mediocre grades.

I love the "Deter future lawyers from going to law school so the job market looks better for me" strategy.

As good a place as any to put this:
http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/2012/05/12/20120512PNI0512-wir-dogs-college-campuses-stress.html

First-year Emory law student Anna Idelevich took a break from studying for exams at the library on a recent afternoon to visit Stanley and Hooch, two golden retrievers training to be companion dogs for disabled owners. The private university brought in the dogs as part of a new program to help students cope with the stress of exams.

"I've literally been here every day. This is the best thing that's ever happened to me," said Idelevich, 22. "They couldn't have thought of a better way to relieve stress. If they don't do it next year, I'll be upset."

This is the best thing that has ever happened to her. Did she know she didn't have to go to law school to get a dog?

During exams a few weeks ago, they brought puppies to the law school to help people cope with stress. I just bought more bourbon than usual.

I don't get this at all (other than as a revenue generator for the law school). I'm not sure what anyone would think they could do with this degree. It also looks like students take one semester of "core courses" and then take normal 2L and 3L electives for the second semester. I can't see one condensed overview semester giving most people a strong enough background to understand and succeed in upper level law school courses.

wow, an AVERAGE of $150,000. That is stunning. I wonder what the median is.

A girl at our church who is finishing her freshman year in college mentioned to me that she is looking into law. I am going to send this article to her.

I know so many people dropping $150k+ to go places like Elon, Charleston and Charlotte. Just ridiculous.

That's sad. I had a guy's mother who went to Elon email me about job opportunities for him. He was bartending in Northern VA. I am not sure if he ever got a legal job. A bartender's salary with law school debt is not a good combination.

That's sad. I had a guy's mother who went to Elon email me about job opportunities for him. He was bartending in Northern VA. I am not sure if he ever got a legal job. A bartender's salary with law school debt is not a good combination.

Im afraid that would be me if I pulled the trigger. South Carolina at $22K a year.

Back