• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former CIA Director Leon Panetta leaked classified info to Zero Dark 30 filmmaker BUT

BobStackFan4Life

Reaction score
he has not been held accountable. You'll never guess who the Pentagon is going after instead. Okay, maybe you will. Talk about a double standard.
More than two years after sensitive information about the Osama bin Laden raid was disclosed to Hollywood filmmakers, Pentagon and CIA investigations haven’t publicly held anyone accountable despite internal findings that the leakers were former CIA Director Leon Panetta and the Defense Department’s top intelligence official.

Instead, the Pentagon Inspector General’s Office is working to root out who might have disclosed the findings on Panetta and Undersecretary of Defense for Intelligence Michael Vickers to a nonprofit watchdog group and to McClatchy.
The handling of the disclosures of protected information to the makers of “Zero Dark Thirty,” the award-winning account of the U.S. hunt for bin Laden, points up an apparent double standard in President Barack Obama’s unprecedented crackdown on unauthorized leaks.

Disclosures by lower-level officials have been vigorously pursued. For example, seven Navy SEALs were reprimanded for disclosing classified material to the makers of a military video game. Moreover, the administration has prosecuted a record number of intelligence community personnel for leaking.

Rarely, however, has the administration taken criminal action against senior officials for leaking.

A central pillar of the crackdown – labeled the Insider Threat Program by the administration – aims to use behavioral profiling and tips from co-workers to identify federal employees who someday might make unauthorized disclosures.

Under the program, the Defense Department equates leaking to the news media with spying. Many of those who’ve been targeted, however, contend that they’re compelled to leak about official malfeasance because the government’s whistle-blower protection system doesn’t work, a defense raised by former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden.
The issue is controversial because the draft report’s findings on Panetta – who’d become the secretary of defense by the time the document was completed – were sanitized from the final version that was released to the public eight months later. Instead, the findings were declared top-secret and sent to the CIA inspector general for “appropriate action,” according to a declassified document obtained by Judicial Watch...the only action Buckley’s office is known to have taken was reviewing policies that guide the CIA’s engagement with the entertainment industry.
http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/12/20/212378/zero-dark-thirty-leak-investigators.html

Last edited:
There are a number of things I find somewhat disturbing in this story, like the administration's reliance on the Insider Threat Program, which "aims to use behavioral profiling and tips from co-workers to identify federal employees who someday might make unauthorized disclosures." But I also think more and more we're seeing agencies make documents that should be public classified in an effort to avoid any public scrutiny/accountability. Notice how there was a version of the official document released to the public that was sanitized and made no mention that Panetta was one of the two leakers. Instead the findings were declared top secret and no action was taken against Panetta. And if you don't believe me that there's been an explosion in classified documents- in 2011 the government classified 92 million documents, that's more than twice the amount that was classified just 10 years ago. I think this is an extremely worrisome trend.

Last edited:
It sucks that we're way too big of pussies to launch our own French Revolution and just overthrow all these corrupt mother fuckers.

Well that and the people that actually want to overthrow the government are fucking idiots.

Basically I agree with no one, yet I agree with everyone.

It sucks that we're way too big of pussies to launch our own French Revolution and just overthrow all these corrupt mother fuckers.

Well that and the people that actually want to overthrow the government are fucking idiots.

+1

If half of that is true, it is pathetic.

But leaking the name of the person who was in charge of tracking the proliferation and sale of weapons of mass destruction during a was based of WMDs was perfectly OK with you.

Panetta should pay for this.

They'd just be replaced by other corrupt people.

Back