• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former Deac basketball player Lee Garber passed away Saturday

guitardeac

Reaction score
Very sad. He was a good friend of mine. I hope we can send out prayers and thoughts to Lee's family.

Lee was starter for a good part of his career at Wake in the mid '80s at small forward, and gained the nickname Lee' "Garbage" because he always seemed to get his points by being in the right place at the right time around the basket. He was 6'5" and a really good player and one of the best people I knew.

There may have been a thread, but I searched and didn't see it. Delete if so.

Lee was one of the good guys who did the little things to help his team win. I was fortunate to see his work ethic up close for most of those years and sorry to hear of his passing.

That is so sad to hear. He played a big part in Wake's upset of #2 Duke at Cameron on January 17th, 1985, scoring 13 points...several of which came during the overtime. It so happened that Bruce Springsteen was playing two concerts at the Greensboro Coliseum on the 18th & 19th. I ran into Lee out in the parking lot as he was looking to buy a ticket. He was too young to die this early. What happened?
JAN 17 - 1985 WF beat #2 Duke (12-1) 91-89 in OT @Durham; Kenny Green & Delaney Rudd had 24 pts; Wake had five players in double figures.

JAN 18 - 1985 Anna & I went to Greensboro Coliseum to see Springsteen's "Born in the USA" tour; saw WF bball player Lee Garber outside looking for ticket.

I don't want to post on here. You can PM me.

Lee Garber, Jr., age 50 and a resident of Highland Village, TX. Born on July 11, 1963 in Memphis, TN and passed away on December 21, 2013 in Flower Mound, TX. Lee was a graduate of Dobyns-Bennett High School in Kingsport, TN and a graduate of Wake Forest University with a JD-MBA degree and was self-employed in the Medical Recruitment Field. Lee is survived by his wife, Carolyn Garber and one son, Garrett Coles Garber and two daughters; McKenzie Anne Garber and Lindsay Marie Garber. He is survived by his brother, Joe Garber and his parents, Larry and Anne Garber and his grandmother, Josephine Morrison. A memorial service will be held on Friday, December 27, 2013 at 2:00pm at Trinity Presbyterian Church in Flower Mound, TX. In lieu of flowers the family would like donations made to the International Bipolar Foundation or to Trinity Presbyterian Church.

RIP Lee.

So sorry to hear of his passing. Like Bob Knight Fan the first thing that came to mind was the Duke game I'm Cameron. RIP Lee and prayers to the family.

RIP Lee. He was a very bright guy, a true example of a student-athlete who had a strong GPA. He was a fine fella too, friendly and dependable. Needless to say this is very sad news.

On the court, he also can't be overlooked for his contributions to one of our best teams ever: 1983-84. Maybe not a star but gave solid minutes. In the 85 season we had no height whatsoever and we asked him to bang down low with guys 6" taller.

My prayers and condolences to the Garber family. So sad when one so young passes.

Way too young. I see contributions go to the International Bipolar Foundation so I'll just put 2 and 2 together on the cause of death. Very sad.

I think that you are way the fuck out of line.

No. He's not. When someone only 50 years old dies and the person who posts the news doesn't post the cause, people will speculate about what caused the death at such a young age.

I was at school at the same time as Lee. He was one of the guys that instantly came to mind when you talked about Wake academics and athletics. I knew people who took classes with him - Chem is I recall - and back then would talk about how smart he was. So sad to hear.

Very sad, always seemed like a good guy and was a good player. Sounds like he did well in life, prayers out to his wife and children and family.

RIP. Very sad and tragic news. I pray that God will comfort his family.

Back