• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Former Facebook workers: We routinely suppressed conservative news

Right. Obviously Wrangor and Junebug know that black people regardless of religion vote Democrat at 90 percent clip so they're being willfully ignorant in their claims.

87% of black Americans identify as "religious," with 53% as "very religious." It's no wonder that the message from black preachers permeates the entire black community.

so far wrangor has quietly left the thread and it appears juenbug has also yielded to reason. the only lgical conclusion is for JH to cap it off with a non-sequitur "joke"

Its called work Captain. The chart makes my point. Your original deflection is swatted away. FAcebook is a media source not a civic group. We want our media aggregators to be unbiased. We shouldn't care if our clubs/churches/organizations are. Even if it was a real concern (which it isn't), the bias is spread out. Religion is not a monolithic voting bloc.

Last edited:
Its called work Captain. The chart makes my point. Your original deflection is swatted away. FAcebook is a media source not a civic group. We want our media aggregators to be unbiased. We shouldn't care if our clubs/churches/organizations are. Even if it was a real concern (which it isn't), the bias is spread out. Religion is not a monolithic voting bloc.

No one ever said we wanted media aggregators to be neutral. Especially privately ones. conservatives sufdenly cared about it. And as has been said before, the very idea is impractical, for many reasons.

And For the 8th time, my point about religious groups is their organizational power, not the pulpit. You guys and ignore that as much as you want but that doesn't make it go away.

Last edited:
Smart people say that. Sheep want their information filtered to fit their pre-conceived notions. That is why they watch Fox News and MSNBC. I guess I just didn't figure many people on these boards to actually admit to wanting that. To each his own. I think it is bad for society to only have ones views regurgitated in the news. You feel differently apparently. Good luck with that.

If only you'd extend your prodigious desire for Truth to other things, like, the Koran.

If only you'd extend your prodigious desire for Truth to other things, like, the Koran.

Annnd there's the root of all this deflection about the church. Nothing more than a basic accusation of close-mindedness, without any appreciation at all of the difference in religious observance and civic awareness.

Whatever helps you not address the giant evangelical lobby in the room, friend.

As to wrangor's hypocrisy, guess I don't understand, either the effort to get into heaven is the most important thing a person can undertake or it's not. I would imagine one would want all available information rather than having ones preconceived notions confirmed on a weekly basis. But I guess that's why Jesus is referred to as "shepherd", eh?

Whatever helps you not address the giant evangelical lobby in the room, friend.

As to wrangor's hypocrisy, guess I don't understand, either the effort to get into heaven is the most important thing a person can undertake or it's not. I would imagine one would want all available information rather than having ones preconceived notions confirmed on a weekly basis. But I guess that's why Jesus is referred to as "shepherd", eh?

I left this in your posrep, but I don't think we have all that much of a disagreement to be honest. I know evangelicals are influential in politics. I was just pointing out that the knife does cut both ways at times (Religious Right is clearly the most powerful, but not the most effective within its membership as seen by the data). Getting into heaven isn't the most important undertaking. You miss the point of Christianity. The most important undertaking is the pursuit of God. Heaven is just grace that is extended for no apparent reason. And we most definitely need a shepherd. It takes some humility to admit that, but the older we get the more we realize how few answers we truly have about anything. But I will end this sidetrack on my side. I just don't want you to think I am completely antagonistic to your plight. I am not a fan of the religious right's politicization of the Gospel. It is a symptom of a church society that is more interested in secular gains that heart change. It is no different now than during JEsus life. Even his disciples thought he was there to topple the Roman government. My position is that individual beliefs should influence the politicians philosophy, but that we shouldn't have top down efforts to attempt to influence politicians (I hope I said that right).

We don't operate in a theocracy, and we don't want that because that is too much power and man is too corrupt. Democracy and freedom is the best ground for faith to grow, and that means you have to allow space with whom you disagree to plant their differing beliefs. That is something I am still learning to understand to be honest. But in the end, the church is a poor correlation to our media. If a media source is supposed to aggregate information, we should desire that information to be unbiased by the deliverer. Who knows if or to what extent FB filtered the news/trending, but I am glad that a discussion was raised, and am hopeful that we have more discussions that condemn that sort of practice. We need less organizations like Fox News, not more of them, and the only way that will happen is when people with good sense demand it. So it is troubling when I find intelligent people arguing against that simply because the news organization is supporting their political point of view.

Peace brother....back to work.

Smart people say that. Sociology departments want their hiring practices filtered to fit their pre-conceived notions. That is why they read the New York times I guess I just didn't figure many people on these boards to actually admit to wanting that. To each his own. I think it is bad for society to only have ones views regurgitated in the news. You feel differently apparently. Good luck with that.

At your service.

No one ever said we wanted media aggregators to be neutral. Especially privately ones. conservatives sufdenly cared about it. And as has been said before, the very idea is impractical, for many reasons.

And For the 8th time, my point about religious groups is their organizational power, not the pulpit. You guys and ignore that as much as you want but that doesn't make it go away.

And the Academy Award for least self-aware consecutive posts on a single thread goes to...

those two comments are not related, but nice job doing multiple quotes. i know that takes a lot of work. maybe put some of that effort into making a substantive post next time

those two comments are not related, but nice job doing multiple quotes. i know that takes a lot of work. maybe put some of that effort into making a substantive post next time

I mean, if you're looking for a case study in the perils of organized religion, and you had to choose between the people who shot up a Parisian satire newspaper's office full of unarmed civilians (worse, unarmed French civilians), and a free will Baptist church on a gravel road in South Carolina that doesn't open up its monthly fish fry to the transgendered, it's some un-duh-pheated-ass-shit to get butthurt over a battered catfish when people are getting dipped in boiling oil for the crime of being suspected of having had sex by #notallMuslims.

But you keep keepin' on.

Last edited:
Oh i'm anxiously waiting for christians to put their guns where their mouths are and go do something about the muslim menace instead of making me spend my money on it

i have to spread rep around before I can give it to wrangor again but let it be known that I approve of his TL;DR post

Oh i'm anxiously waiting for christians to put their guns where their mouths are and go do something about the muslim menace instead of making me spend my money on it

It's called a crusade. There is plenty of precedent. JHMD can lead the air attack.

This person was suspended from twitter, supposedly for this tweet:
Ck2l-3FUUAAmWmk.jpg:large

Back