• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Former UNC-CH tutor ‘had horrible lies written about her,’ attorney says"

Yes...she is the victim here. Goodness knows where she came up with the money, as a poor student, to pay these fines?

According to the NCAA infractions report, Wiley broke rules by helping players write summary paragraphs for papers, correcting their grammar and composing pages that cited research sources for writing assignments and inserting citations. She also paid a $150 airline ticket change fee so a player could return from spring break early. She also made a one-time payment of $1,789 to settle a player’s overdue campus parking tickets. It was unclear whether she was reimbursed.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/03/15/1932081/former-unc-ch-tutor-had-horrible.html#storylink=cpy

Yes...she is the victim here. Goodness knows where she came up with the money, as a poor student, to pay these fines?

According to the NCAA infractions report, Wiley broke rules by helping players write summary paragraphs for papers, correcting their grammar and composing pages that cited research sources for writing assignments and inserting citations. She also paid a $150 airline ticket change fee so a player could return from spring break early. She also made a one-time payment of $1,789 to settle a player’s overdue campus parking tickets. It was unclear whether she was reimbursed.

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/03/15/1932081/former-unc-ch-tutor-had-horrible.html#storylink=cpy

she's a philanthropist

You can never completely rule out the possibility that she is in fact guilty of everything they say and this is a BS sob story... BUT, the spin the attorney is putting on it is entirely feasible, even if she's not some perfect angel that doesn't mean she wasn't honestly trying to help. The fault really does fall squarely on the university for not having better tabs on where athletes were getting assistance and having the compliance office follow up accordingly.

I'm confused, was she a tutor and considered a booster?

Are athletes not allowed tutors?

I thought the big deal was tutors doing the work for them/academic fraud, not the fact that they had tutors at all

I think it is pretty fair to say she has had horrible lies written about her. I've at least read several times on PackPride where people are claiming she was "sleeping with half the team" or something along those lines, when there is really no evidence to back that up. People just decided that since she was close friends with one of the players she must be sleeping with him/them.

I really, truly believe that Jennifer Wiley was used as a scapegoat. Let's not forget that there was a group of tutors, and not one of the other tutors names was ever brought up or mentioned once to my knowledge. It is a little fishy to me that all of the blame is being put on her, and she's the one being single out.

This also, however, comes from the fact I went to middle and high school with her (FCDS, before her family moved to Charlotte and she finished at Charlotte Christian). I knew her pretty well, and the article is right; she's very religious, absolutely nice as can be, and if truth be told a bit of a prude. She is absolutely not the type to do this type of thing. I may be wrong, and I doubt I'd ever be proven right, but again I really think she was a scapegoat for a larger tutoring scandal.

The tutor is the last person to blame in this mess.

I'm sure she's not a terrible person and no doubt she was made a scape goat by Butch and others, but at the same time I'm pretty confident this tutor/part time teacher didn't use $1700 of her own money paying off parking tickets for football players. That smells like bullshit to me. But rather than tell the truth about that, she stayed silent, presumably to protect the coaching staff and/or boosters. I can't respect that.

The reason it's a big deal is because Butch Davis hired her as a tutor for his son. He was paying her and then it was found that she was paying for stuff for players. That situation just doesn't seem on the up and up to me.

I think it is pretty fair to say she has had horrible lies written about her. I've at least read several times on PackPride where people are claiming she was "sleeping with half the team" or something along those lines, when there is really no evidence to back that up. People just decided that since she was close friends with one of the players she must be sleeping with him/them.

I really, truly believe that Jennifer Wiley was used as a scapegoat. Let's not forget that there was a group of tutors, and not one of the other tutors names was ever brought up or mentioned once to my knowledge. It is a little fishy to me that all of the blame is being put on her, and she's the one being single out.

This also, however, comes from the fact I went to middle and high school with her (FCDS, before her family moved to Charlotte and she finished at Charlotte Christian). I knew her pretty well, and the article is right; she's very religious, absolutely nice as can be, and if truth be told a bit of a prude. She is absolutely not the type to do this type of thing. I may be wrong, and I doubt I'd ever be proven right, but again I really think she was a scapegoat for a larger tutoring scandal.
She very well might have been used, I don't know her but I'll take you at your word. The whole situation stinks ESP the part about the $1700. Something doesn't quite ring true how it was worded

she's a philanthropist

nah, she got reimbursed with

TC-BL.jpg

Well, very religious people never do anything wrong so she must've been framed.

I thought she was interested in hanging out with some guy named Richard?

Back