• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Four Square - thoughts?

TARDAWG

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
When working with my companies website designer a few years back and he introduced our company to social media and the advantages of using them properly. One avenue he threw out there was Four Square. While I have embraced Facebook, Twitter, and Pintrest, I have found very little useful need for Four Square. We rarely have people join, or follow us, and I rarely see it used at other small businesses or websites.

Do any of you uses this?

I've never used it, but every time I see someone post something about it, my mind immediately goes back to one of my favorite elementary school PE games.

392503377_83aaf42c7f.jpg

I played this weekend in the driveway with the kids

I use it. It adds very little value to my life, though. Occasionally, I will check in at a restaurant and get recommendations for a menu item. If you use it enough, you can get some deals some places, but that has rarely come up for me recently. I like that I can see if a friend checks in at nearby locations. For example, if a friend checks in at a ball game, I can meet up with them. Overall, it is certainly the most meh of social networking.

It does seem that it has more value in larger cities as far as finding out of the way restaurants and events.

I use foursquare. Mostly I "check in" to the Moe's restaurant near my office because they offer discounts or freebies (like a free cookie or side of queso) if you show you've checked in. I also have it synced with my Untappd app, which a number of my friends also use, and it helps to see where people are if we're trying to meet up, though obviously I could just text them too.

When working with my companies website designer a few years back and he introduced our company to social media and the advantages of using them properly. One avenue he threw out there was Four Square. While I have embraced Facebook, Twitter, and Pintrest, I have found very little useful need for Four Square. We rarely have people join, or follow us, and I rarely see it used at other small businesses or websites.

Do any of you uses this?

A few of my friends use four square to "check in" via twitter. I don't see it growing much past that avenue since facebook now offers a similar feature. From a business perspective, I do like the ability to reward frequent check-ins with special discounts or perks, but that's completely up to you if you wanted to go that route to try to take advantage of the network that does still use it.

I've never really seen/heard anyone come up with a legitimate business case for using Four Square.

When I was working in camping, Four Square was my favorite essential job function. Kids cheat like crazy in it these days. There is no honor among 4square players.

I still think it's a viable tailgate game with the right group and space.

I've never really seen/heard anyone come up with a legitimate business case for using Four Square.

A business owner can get notified when frequent customers are there... they have a method of targeting customers for coupons/specials... they get lots of data on customers...

I like doing it when I go on trips because it helps me remember the names of restaurants that I went to. I use Yelp more for finding restaurants but I don't ever use it to "check in."

I check in w Yelp because I write an occasional review.

Foursquare seems too attention whorish to me.

Do any of you uses this?

[disclosure: I work at Foursquare]

There are tons of reasons for a business to use Foursquare. What kind of business do you have? Chances are the business is already listed so theres no reason not to claim it and at least have access to the admin page (http://business.foursquare.com). Its free to do so. At the very least its a way to reach out and engage with your most loyal customers who happen to use Foursquare. You also have access to all the stats dashboards (who checks in/when/with who/do they share to twitter/facebook), Specials (reward loyalty, first timers, frequent customers, use to drive visitors) and local updates (broadcast to people currently near you). Theres a lot more but its all on the Business page.

Back