• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fourth Estate

Biggus Deacus

Reaction score
When I took Journalism at WF a little over a decade ago, I asked a classmate who was serious and wanted to pursue a career in journalism a simple question: "so what do you want to do with your journalism degree? " She said, "I want to change the world." Factual, responsible journalism didn't even register. Scariest moment of my life, and I've been attacked by knives and had a gun pulled on me. What it meant to me was, "I lack the talent to actually become a leader, so I'll join forces with other like-minded people to tell a story that I like."

It's happening now and I feel sick about it, and I'm not a republican.

When I took Journalism at WF a little over a decade ago, I asked a classmate who was serious and wanted to pursue a career in journalism a simple question: "so what do you want to do with your journalism degree? " She said, "I want to change the world." Factual, responsible journalism didn't even register. Scariest moment of my life, and I've been attacked by knives and had a gun pulled on me. What it meant to me was, "I lack the talent to actually become a leader, so I'll join forces with other like-minded people to tell a story that I like."

It's happening now and I feel sick about it, and I'm not a republican.

You've been attacked by knives??

Can factual, responsible journalism change the world?

Yeah I am with PH I think on this one. Those two concepts are not mutually exclusive. In fact an easy argument could be made that factual journalism could change the world.

That was the weirdest late night drunk post I've seen on this board in a while

You've been attacked by knives??

2 things: first, a guy lunged at me in a bar; second, a mugger would always pull a knife on me when I left the bar in a different part of the country. Sad really, because I refused to give him my wallet and it became a running joke in subsequent encounters.

Yeah I am with PH I think on this one. Those two concepts are not mutually exclusive. In fact an easy argument could be made that factual journalism could change the world.

Sure that argument could be made if factual journalism was encouraged and rewarded.

It's not. That's why it would change the world.

I'm saying factual journalism is not encouraged and rewarded. That's why it could change the world.

I think you're assuming that someone who wants to change the world through journalism wants to reflect their bias and opinions in their journalism. That's not necessarily the case. You want factual, responsible journalism. That could change the world.

I got it Ph, and this isn't a random, drunken post BBD. I'm watching Gregory and he's comforting the pres from the stress caused by the fiscal cliff? unbe-friggin-lievable. Then an unnecessary press-conference with a line-up of supposedly middle-class victims of the fiscal cliff behind him. He gives a speech that amounts to absolutely nothing. Where's the leadership here? Where's the desire from the press for leadership here?

I got it Ph, and this isn't a random, drunken post BBD. I'm watching Gregory and he's comforting the pres from the stress caused by the fiscal cliff? unbe-friggin-lievable. Then an unnecessary press-conference with a line-up of supposedly middle-class victims of the fiscal cliff behind him. He gives a speech that amounts to absolutely nothing. Where's the leadership here? Where's the desire from the press for leadership here?

Well, the entire thing is made-up crisis by the tea party.

i wanted to be a journalist once with the intent of changing the world. I wanted to be an investigative journalist, they actually do use facts. your beef is with current event and political reporters.

Which facts? Someone has to select which facts to include and which facts to leave out. Then of course, someone has to pose the questions that are going to be answered.

Which facts? Someone has to select which facts to include and which facts to leave out. Then of course, someone has to pose the questions that are going to be answered.

you mean every source has a bias no matter if they are making a good faith effort to be impartial!? i didn't know this! tell me more....

Back