• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Fractional ownership: Blue Ridge Parkway Cabin - questions/advice

Ghostsurfer

Reaction score
This question may be just for shits and giggles, but I occasionally see offers of fractional/timeshare home ownerships opportunities. My brother in-laws each have one and are always talking about their trips. However they have the means to travel all over the world, and for them, they love these timeshares. Unfortunately, we travel closer to home...and actually love all the NC has to offer.

The Idea: Anyway, last night the wife hits me up on when I am I going to reserve our cabin for this winter. So, I start thinking (never a good idea) that we drop about $400-500 every winter for our 3-4 day stay in the beautiful NC mountains. So, I get to thinking that if we continue to do this until the kids leave home we are looking at 10 years. Almost $5,000 for a few days of peace, beauty, isolation, and hopefully snow... Which I love and enjoy! So, I'm still thinking & drinking (like tonight), "What If..." What if we invest in a timeshare /create a fractional ownership property to maximize our enjoyment along w/our limited funds ($$.) How can we create a fractional ownership opportunity where each investor is guaranteed an increasing return of on their initial investment. How can we "all get along" in managing the day to day operations or oversight of a property when there may be multiple viewpoints.

The Plan: Find like-minded individuals that are willing to invest in an ownership proposition that will allow for affordability, flexibility, and hopefully a guarantee of return on investment. My goal is to find a cabin that would be described as an older "Charmer" (hopefully character, yet in need of renovations - but still priced appropriately $100-150K or less.) Hopefully, the cabin would be in a mountain community with pool, tennis court, long range views, and hiking trails, etc. to maximize enjoyment 52 weeks a year. The HOA fees would add to the cost, but would allow for renting the property on Vrbo or Craigslist, etc.

The Financing: The more owners - the less $$ out of pocket, but the more headaches to deal with. Still, we are talking about a mountain cabin and I am assuming that most people would be more than happy with 2-3 weeks of use. Therefore, 10 - 20 owners at an initial investment of $5,000 would get this ball rolling in a hurry. This would ensure a major equity stake in the cabin w/ a very small mortgage, HOA fee, taxes, bills, and insurance. Ideally, the set-up would encourage/reward the investor/owner for a long term stake in the cabin. I would like to guarantee a certain % return of initial investment once 5 years has passed, and then continue a plan to reward investors as the years pass. For example: tie in the # of years with a guaranteed return. If you invest and want to leave/sell within 5 years - the ownership group will give you $2,000. If you leave 5- 10 years you get back your original $5,000 investment - or you can sell on your own at market rate. After 10 years, you are guaranteed (X) amount as the ownership group will own said property and will just be paying expenses and improvements.

The Questions/Concerns: What am I missing?? Obviously, a lot... I know that tthe smaller the ownership pool- the easier to regulate, but also more expensive. Who has had experience in this area? The good and bad that would help navigate these waters. The ultimate goal is to create a win-win for each and every investor, and there would obviously be a lot of logistics to work out...

Is there a market/interest out there?? If so, how would one proceed?? Much thanks in advance to all that have experience or opinions in this matter!

Sounds like a huge amount of work and headaches to save a couple hundred bucks a year.

1. More than 13 owners on a property is going to be a clusterfuck.
2. I think you're low on price for long range views, especially for somewhere that anyone else wants to visit.

agree with the others, logistically you are going to go through A LOT of headaches to maybe save a few bucks. Find a place that you love in the mtns and get to know the owner. If you reserve the same place year after year (well in advance) and are good tenets then the owner will give you a good deal. Cuts out a lot of headaches of fractional ownership. IMHO fractional ownership is for very high dollar items (i.e. we looked into it in the Bahamas where owning something yourself is prohibitive and I think not allowed by law there).

Hey, thanks for all of the feedback. I agree that it's probably safer to just keep spending the cash each year, but wanted to invest in something that I could use and enjoy rather than checking on a portfolio every day... maybe I'll plow it into bitcoins!!

Is buying it an renting it out not an option? You can still stay there for 14 days and then take deductions to offset the rental income.

My place is in Linville Land Harbor near Grandfather Mountain and a few miles off the parkway. Long range views are going for twice that if they sell. But there are plenty of nice places in the woods for under $100K that need some work. Private trout water and lake, nice pool, tennis, hiking trails, really nice golf course are all there. The golf membership is extra and the yearly POA dues are a little over $2K. That gets you cable and water as well use of all common areas. Downside of your plan is return on investment. Home values and tax assessment values have declined 20-30% over the past 5-7 years and about 1/3 of our community is listed or FSBO right now. 20-30 properties turn over a year. Linville Ridge closer to Grandfather country club is even worse with many foreclosures. Who knows when the market will come back up there. I guess it's inevitable but who knows when. For enjoyment, I highly recommend it but as an investment I can't. Also not sure how old you are but the average summer population is easily well over 60. Place clears out in the winter as they all head back to Florida or South Alabama. I'll be glad to answer any of your questions about the area.

Last edited:
Anyone own a fractional share of a beach house? How liquid is something like that?

Potentially very liquid if a big storm comes along.

I forgot to add that I only share this with my brother and my Mom who never really goes up anymore and that's a pain in the ass. I am the one who uses it the most and I do most of the upkeep. Getting my brother to rake a leaf or help pay for a new water heater has been a pain in the butt. I get that he lives further away and doesn't use the place as much but he is still a part owner.

My place is in Linville Land Harbor near Grandfather Mountain and a few miles off the parkway. Long range views are going for twice that if they sell. But there are plenty of nice places in the woods for under $100K that need some work. Private trout water and lake, nice pool, tennis, hiking trails, really nice golf course are all there. The golf membership is extra and the yearly POA dues are a little over $2K. That gets you cable and water as well use of all common areas. Downside of your plan is return on investment. Home values and tax assessment values have declined 20-30% over the past 5-7 years and about 1/3 of our community is listed or FSBO right now. 20-30 properties turn over a year. Linville Ridge closer to Grandfather country club is even worse with many foreclosures. Who knows when the market will come back up there. I guess it's inevitable but who knows when. For enjoyment, I highly recommend it but as an investment I can't. Also not sure how old you are but the average summer population is easily well over 60. Place clears out in the winter as they all head back to Florida or South Alabama. I'll be glad to answer any of your questions about the area.

Thanks for all the replies and great advice! I'm thinking that I need to put this idea to bed as it seems like a lot of headaches for my romantic notion of having a mountain cabin. I wasn't looking at making money rather just breaking even... I know the market on the Blue Ridge is depressed and was hoping to find an owner willing to sell quickly. I was definitely going to rent it out, but leave that to the ownership's discretion.

Excellent advice and definitely value the input!

A better, more workable plan, IMO, would be to buy a place with one or two other couples and then rent it out most of the time to cover the costs... Prices are still pretty depressed, but, in my experience, the rental market is pretty strong. People seem to have enough money to go on vacations and rent places but not enough money and/or not enough confidence in the future to want to buy a place of their own. That leaves an opportunity for someone who is willing to take a risk on the future and step up to the plate and buy something...

Having done this both ways, I highly advise you to rent a place for the few days you use it per year. Much fewer headaches, much cheaper and you can change locations if something about your family or something about the location changes.

Having done this both ways, I highly advise you to rent a place for the few days you use it per year. Much fewer headaches, much cheaper and you can change locations if something about your family or something about the location changes.

In order for it to make sense to buy instead of continuing to rent you should be confident that the value of the place will go up sufficiently in the time you hold it to make up for any ongoing investment/maintenance you have to make in the place plus the value of any headaches the place creates for you...

Actually, with the boys getting more and more into snowboarding - it seems to make good sense to just rent, change locations, etc. I think cabins near the slopes are going to be out of my meager budget. I really like the Parkway area around Fancy Gap and it seemed like there were a lot of good deals on smaller cabins. That's what got this "idea" brewing.

Jonathan Lehman, WFU '92 (?), sells vacation and other mountain properties from out of the Boone area. You might want to check with him for advice on the viability of your mountain idea.

I have four friends that went in on a nice beach house. It seems to work well for them, but they bought right and treat it as a business

Back